my biggest food problem

Options
My biggest problem with food is portion control and eating on the road (aka drive thru). Other than those two things, I eat generally healthy. You think it would be easy to just not go to the drive thru, and even easier to not pick up that second piece of chocolate, or that 2nd helping of pasta.

But it seriously is so difficult! I play a mind game every time.

Anyone else suck at portions and avoiding drive thrus? Anyone have tips?

I feel stupid, cause i think i'm just being lazy and silly, and i should just suck it up and not take that second helping..etc etc..need more willpower :/

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You're clearly not stupid because you can identify the problem/issue at hand.
    Whether you put in the necessary commitment to actually change that behaviour is only something you can decide to do.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I struggled with portion control, I'm sure many on here have. Never been really big on fast food, but not entirely innocent there either. I found that by making better food choices, I can actually eat more food and I'm less hungry.

I also found that I often didn't need the second helping, if you just give yourself 10 minutes before taking that second serving, you will realize you are already satiated and don't really need it. I've learned I really don't like the feeling of being so full it hurts to breathe, it just isn't worth it. I eat throughout the day and I'm rarely hungry.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I found that when I limited my carbs (other than fruit and veggie) I was able to eliminate some of the cravings...but I also find, that if I start eating something like pasta or donuts, I will keep going, and going...LOL best to avoid them altogether, then you will have more control... good luck

my abosolute worst is if I crave sugar...I usually buy a BIG bag of Strawberry Twizzlers...and can't stop till I'm done...but I only have a small jump in blood sugar and only see 1/2 lb on the scale....so it isn't like other carbs that can flub us up...
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary. It's empty! Or, at least the past week is.

Logging every single bite that goes in my mouth has made a huge difference for me. I like to eat. A lot. And I can easily "forget" what I've eaten, or justify "just a little bit."

But when I log every. single. bite. there it is, right in front of me and I can't argue with it.

If I know I'm going to eat out, I calculate what I'm going to eat ahead of time so I'm not surprised when I log later.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Work out WHY you are struggling, what your triggers are. Are you not eating enough food or not often enough? Stuff yourself full of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, such that quantities of chocolate and pasta look unappetising or will make you feel sick. Are you not carrying healthy snacks with you at all times? Are you driving past your favourite drive throughs with money in your purse? If so drive a different route and don't carry money on a daily basis. Where are you getting te chocolate from?
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds off from what you asked... but if you want to, read Eat To Live by Joel Furhman. It helps motivate by making you REALLY want to eat healthy, rather than just trying to lose weight. I finished it about a week ago and it's helped me not to rely on willpower to deny myself the foods or helpings that I want... I just don't want it as much. :drinker:
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I pack a healthy meal in a small cooler for the road -- 9” x 5” x 6”, similar to the one shown here:

mini-cooler.jpg

In my case, that usually means a 5-oz can of chicken, four pieces of crispbread, and an orange or a banana. I keep napkins in the smaller compartment. For me the trick is having something I can just grab -- something at least as easy if not easier to get than fast food. I also carry with me a set of camping utensils, similar to this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xdZs0ySHL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

(Image won't come up; just go to the link.)

For me the best antidote to "portion control" has been fresh fruits and vegetables. I put "portion control" in quotes because my salads use a whole head of lettuce! But I can fill up on non-processed foods, which remove any cravings I might have for the processed ones. (I don't have to fight cravings; I simply no longer have them.)

(Edited because first image of cutlery didn't show up.)
  • Slimmd
    Slimmd Posts: 10
    Options
    ejourneys, that's a really great idea. i try to do the same thing with my meals, although some days are better than others. I find that by surrounding myself with only good choices, I'm more likely to eat what I brought than eat the junk food.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    great tips ^^^

41xdZs0ySHL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

use link just make it img instead of IMG
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the easiest way to avoid the second portion is by avoiding the first... If you have a problem with a food, remove it totally from your diet for a few days... It is not a forever and always proposition.. Just get it out of your system. THEN try to add it back in with moderation. This time last year, I was 344 lbs and binged on sweets... Cookies, cakes (Zingers), King size candy bars... As in several per day... I wore size 48 pants and they were getting tight... I got off those things and started making better choices. I found sweet alternatives that offered at least some benefit. Now, I can eat a snack cake or a candy bar and honestly, it is like I am eating nothing. It no longer really appeals to me because I realize (my body realizes) that it has no nutritional value and what it craves now is nutrition... not bulk. Now? I can wear size 32 pants and weigh 230.8

As for drive thru... Our lives sometimes are configured in a way that makes drive-thru eating far more convenient... Are they better to avoid? Certainly. However, when you DO go through the Drive-thru... order as healthy as you can... Instead of a big mac and an order of large fries order a grilled chicken sandwich and small fries (or none at all is even better)... Make as healthy of choices as you can given the schedule that presents itself.

Honestly, you can do this. Think about the prize. Make choices as healthy as you can and enjoy your new life ahead.
  • Supawmn18
    Supawmn18 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bumping because I have the same problem and can't read all the post now BUT you are not stupid
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Try pre-planning and logging for a few days, then measure proper portions and log them before you put the first bite in your mouth.
    I usually find that I am full knowing I had enough calories. Also bulk up your meals with low-calorie high water veggies like spinach and broccoli. I don't get nearly as hungry when I add more veggies. Tonight for example I had pasta, but I added spaghetti Squash to it. I was slightly over my daily calorie goal today, but I actually try to average around 1500 calories, not the 1230 MFP set for me:tongue:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Try smaller plates - if you tend to finish your plate and go back for seconds you will have a lot less food intake if both those portions are smaller :)
    Also fill up with more veggies like the others say, it will get you fuller much quicker!

Also if you are out - trying bringing stuff with you, apples, trail mix, I keep granola bars in my trunk so I dont starve lol

If you are at the gas station - try a small packet of beef jerky, they are pretty decent and only 100 calories and leave you chewing on it for a bit :)

if you just cant resist the drive thru, just make small victories - try only ordering the fries, or only ordering the smallest burger, they are likely to fill you up enough until you get to your destination, or try going to subway instead (though you have to watch yourself there too)
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am saving this to read later ~ I have the same problems & am looking for advice as well. So glad to see I'm not alone!!
  • AB4u
    AB4u Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I'm glad i'm not the only one.

A few asked where the chocolate comes from..it comes from my parents house! They eat so much junk there! And I have a hard time resisting. Usually my 'portion control habits' and '2nd servings' stems from a little thought that says 'i want i want' Its not that i'm hungry or anything, I just simply love the food and i want more. and when i can't have more, i obsess over it and it doesn't leave my mind until i get more! its ridiculous.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the book eat this not that? It is a great book that says what you can do to replace bad foods with good foods. When I crave chocolate I have an 80 cal fat free fudge bar instead of a candy bar. It's the little changes that make a big difference! Perhaps you could try to replace bad foods with good foods and make better choices that way.