Apple Vinegar???

Options
Hey so has anybody heard or tried this whole apple vinegar thing? Does it work? is it worth trying? If you havent heard of it: they say if you drink a glass of diluted apple vinegar in the morning before breakfast and at night before bed it will help you lost fat deposits and several other problems that ail you....any comments?

Replies

• 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I add it to my horses and dogs water because it helps with digestion etc but I certainly couldnt face drinking that much vinegar.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Personally I did try it a few years ago - not for weight loss but because my friend swears by it keeping acne at bay. I couldn't get past the taste.

I do know people who did it for weight loss and they said it gave them more energy (and clearer skin). I guess the more energy could help with weight loss. I know it does have to have "the mother" in it, so Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar is a very popular one.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i use it with grapeseed oil to make my own salad dressing, but thats as far as I go.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Not worth the horrible taste in my mouth to even try.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do it occasionally for bloat detox. It must be Natural Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother (like Bragg's), 1 tablespoon with 1 cup of water and I find it tastes better with ice cold water.
  • sagittarianna
    Options
    Though a bit on the raunchy side, ACV is a very good dietary supplement as long as you dilute it properly. (That *kitten* BURNS if you don't, lol). I took it at the beginning of this year for digestive issues (specifically my gall bladder) but lost 25 lbs at the same time. No, I don't believe the ACV is why I lost all that weight, but I do believe it helped and my other issues were resolved too. Thanks for bringing this up...I'm going to start taking it again :)
  • travel4fun
    travel4fun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started going to a naturopath and she recommended that I drink 1 tsp ACV 10 minutes before meals to speed up metabolism. I haven't tried it yet, and now I'm a little scared to!
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    In the past I took it daily as I read it was good for overall health, including improving blood pressure, removing free radicals, and cleaning the vascular system (reducing plaque build-up in them and lowering cholesterol). I had read numerous accounts supporting this, but no true double blind type scientific studies. It is one of the very old 'home remedies' from before modern medicine. I definitely think in moderate doses there are good properties.

1 - 2 tbsp in a cup of water, with a little natural honey for taste wasn't too bad.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I just started going to a naturopath and she recommended that I drink 1 tsp ACV 10 minutes before meals to speed up metabolism. I haven't tried it yet, and now I'm a little scared to!
    Eating food speeds metabolism by default, so save your money on the vinegar and go with a water placebo for the same results..lol...j/k
  • sabyars
    Options
    I think I can credit some of my weight loss to ACV.. Good luck!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    You know what does work? Stopping the hunt for a miracle quick fix, and eating at a reasonable and sustainable caloric deficit. Try it out!
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I just saw this video today about how having 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar before eating a high carb meal helps get rid of something you get from the carbs that makes burning fat harder to do. I forget what it was so sorry for my bad & very vague explanation, but here's the link to the video I saw:

http://www.realdose.com/weight-loss/g/fat-loss-in-menopause/?a_aid=ppc&a_bid=1722cbe9&chan=FD
  • BrittanyMegan88
    Options
    You know what does work? Stopping the hunt for a miracle quick fix, and eating at a reasonable and sustainable caloric deficit. Try it out!
    It's not a miracle quick fix, but apparently it does help...I haven't tried it myself yet but next time I go shopping I'm totally going to pick some up and see if it does help at all.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    Options
    ...So, I bought some a few days ago & I've been taking 2 teaspoons before lunch & dinner each day, mixed with a bit of water. After doing this for 2 days I lost half a pound after 11 days straight with no weight loss...

I don't know if it was cause of the ACV or not, but I'm definitely going to keep taking it, it tastes really good too, actually! Also, I'm missing juice way less now that I have something to drink other than just plain water all the time.
  • MrsRaia
    MrsRaia Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I think that is a pretty harsh comment for someone who IS doing that. Let's try to be supportive and less condemning. It's not like she was asking about diet pills or something extreme either.

I for one have a hard time losing weight even when working out AND eating within my calorie and other goals on MFP. I have a lot of hormone problems myself. PCOS/Insulin resistance. I hear the ACV thing helps with insulin resistance. I am personally going to try this NATURAL weight loss tip.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find any real research suggesting apple cider vinegar works for weight loss or lowering blood sugar. In fact, a couple studies abstracted in PubMed indicate it does not lower glycemic levels and, in fact, makes blood sugar control more difficult for diabetics. It has been used traditionally in North Africa for weight loss but at much larger amounts than is safe for dental health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15983536: "Apple cider vinegar products are advertised in the popular press and over the Internet for treatment of a variety of conditions. After an adverse event was reported to the authors, eight apple cider vinegar tablet products were tested for pH, component acid content, and microbial growth. Considerable variability was found between the brands in tablet size, pH, component acid content, and label claims. Doubt remains as to whether apple cider vinegar was in fact an ingredient in the evaluated products. The inconsistency and inaccuracy in labeling, recommended dosages, and unsubstantiated health claims make it easy to question the quality of the products."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18093343: "This study shows that vinegar affects insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients with diabetic gastroparesis by reducing the gastric emptying rate even further, and this might be a disadvantage regarding to their glycaemic control."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23373303: "Erosive tooth wear was diagnosed in the dentition of a 15-year-old girl with a Moroccan background. After an anamnesis, extensive analysis of possible risk factors and a study of the pattern of erosion, it was concluded that the erosive tooth wear was induced by daily consumption of a glass of apple cider vinegar."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21561165: "Apple cider vinegars increased total cholesterol and HDL and LDL cholesterol levels and decreased liver function tests when compared to animals [rats] on a high-cholesterol diet without vinegar supplementation."
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    my grandma for the past 20 yrs ahas decided to get and stay fit. She's great at it. She did the Apple cider vinegar thing for a few months... it helped her lose BUT for the next 6 months she was in the doctors office and having test ran because it messed up her stomach so bad. She says it just not good for you and can cause all sorts of problems.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by the ACV and now you have me wanting t try it. I can drink it straight with no problem...weird, I know!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I think that is a pretty harsh comment for someone who IS doing that. Let's try to be supportive and less condemning. It's not like she was asking about diet pills or something extreme either.

I for one have a hard time losing weight even when working out AND eating within my calorie and other goals on MFP. I have a lot of hormone problems myself. PCOS/Insulin resistance. I hear the ACV thing helps with insulin resistance. I am personally going to try this NATURAL weight loss tip.

You do realize you are chiding someone for something he wrote back in December?...
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    My grandparents took a tbsp of ACV and a tbsp of honey every evening for health reason. They started feeling better after a month or so, but not sure about weighloss.