Survey on Body Image

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
1. Do you like yourself? Why/why not?
2. What do you like about yourself?
3. What don't you like about yourself?
4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections?
5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether?
6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this?
7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be?

Just answer whichever questions you feel comfortable answering.
=)

Replies

• apgant
    apgant Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. Some days I like myself and some days I don't. I would like to be more of a giving person.
    2. I like my green eyes
    3. I don't like everything else
    4. NO! Aging sucks. Everything is wrinkling, sagging, falling, etc.
    5. I don't avoid mirrors
    6. Nope, never have
    7. My attitude
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    1. Do you like yourself? YES Why/why not? If I get to hate myself then who else will gonna like me?
    2. What do you like about yourself? my straight forward attitude
    3. What don't you like about yourself? emotionally "weak"
    4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections? YEP did that many times
    5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether? NO
    6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? YES If so, at which ages? And how did you do this? Its a long story but that happened for a very long time period plus I had EDNOS leaning to anorexia when I was a teenager which continues to haunt me sometimes
    7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be? same with my answer in #3
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1. Do you like yourself? Why/why not? On most days
    2. What do you like about yourself? I'm a very caring person and I have a lot of inner strength
    3. What don't you like about yourself? I have a lot of extra skin left over from losing so much weight.
    4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections? Yes.
    5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether? No
    6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this? Yes, by losing my weight that I needed to lose. It helped a lot.
    7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be? I'd get my extra skin taken off.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am a good, strong person, that's why.

If you meant my features, I'd say I like my square jaws and brown eyes best. If you meant my character, I'd say I like my drive and confidence best.

Stretch marks in my abs. As for qualities, my temper.

4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections?
    Nope. Looking at imperfections again and again is not gonna fix them. So, I workout instead to get the abs I want.

No. I love mirrors!

6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this?
    Yes. Growing up, I had a horrid body image and thought I was ugly and fat. Now, I like me and I feel good about myself. That's because I have learned my strengths and weaknesses and overall I think I am quite satisfactory.

My temper. I want to be less hotheaded.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm an amazing person. I'm hard working, dedicated, loving, dependable, and fairly brilliant if I do say so myself (hey, I never said I was humble :smooched: )

Pretty much everything, I'm smart, beautiful, and fairly successful in my attempts at life.

I don't like that sometimes my mental disorders get in my way. I don't like that they exist as an excuse or that I sincerely cannot stop them.

Sometimes - like the above said - I have a compulsion disorder and some days I'll literally spend hours in front of the mirror looking for the smallest blemishes and cannot stop.

Nope, they actually make me feel full of myself. If I can see my reflection I am checking myself out :heart:

I've pretty much always liked myself, but I recovered from anorexia a few years ago where I learned how to take care of myself and learned what I was worth.

If it was a magical change I would want to be a couple inches taller. I can work out and eat clean and do my hair and makeup and even where ridiculous high heels, but nothing I do will actually make me taller and give me the long slender legs I would love.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    1. Yes - I'm a nice person!
    2. I'm empathetic & compassionate, I can understand other people's points of view as well as my own.
    3. That I am unhealthy and can't do the things I really want to do.
    4. Nope. One look at myself in the morning before I leave the house and then just get on with my day.
    5. No.
    6. No, but I want to and am looking forward to it.
    7. I am very cynical about people after a lot of heartache. I would like to go back to the days where I used to trust people and not always think about what they are trying to get out of me or hide from me.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1. Not really, because I'm skinny fat. Too flabby.
    2. I like my hourglass shape, my legs (from mid thigh down).
    3. My flabby arms, tht fat roll under my boobs, my belly, my inner thighs, my love handles, my back
    4. Yes, very often
    5. no
    6. I can't even remember the last time I liked myself. Must have been when I was young & it didn't matter back then
    7. I would change the skinny fatness to fit, sexy & strong
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I do :) Cos if I don't like me then who else is gonna like me?

I like my eyes, and my brains.

My *kitten*! Okay, it's a love-hate thing. I love it, but it makes buying pants in flat-*kitten* Asia bloody difficult.

Yeah, happens to all of us, no? :)

Nah, I need them ^^

Hmm, maybe between 13 to 16. Always considered my sister the "pretty one" of the family, but at 17 I discovered style, so that helped :)

I tend to over-think things. If you mean body-wise ... I'd like slimmer thighs.
  • KariT13
    KariT13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1, I hate myself for so many reasons
    2. l like my wrists
    3 I dislike everything else about myself, my physical body, my personality because my weight makes me angry
    4. Never, not even when I was super skinny
    5. I hate mirrors but I look at them so I can punish myself for being so gross
    6. Never
    7. I would make myself like myself, be happy and feel joy
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But I like myself more often.
    I think I'm quite an intelligent person, I pick up on things quickly. I'm much stronger than I appear to be in every possible respect - I'm really good at dusting myself off and moving on when something bad happens. I'm strangely very athletic.

I'm too cynical for my own good, I've got some problem with expressing my feelings. Tend to get obsessed with things. I avoid confrontation way too often (but I got so much better with that).

Not really, when I look in the mirror a lot it usually means I think I look good. :)

Only when I'm having a pretty bad day and I feel like I look terrible.

I probably disliked myself until about age 17-18.

Be better at everything stated on 3. Oh, I'd also love to be 10 cm's taller.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1. Do you like yourself? Why/why not? Yes, 90% of the time, until I get impatient about stuff.
    2. What do you like about yourself? I am accepting of the views of others but will stand up for myself and what I believe in if need be. I am gentle, caring and considerate. Oh, and I like my ankles!!
    3. What don't you like about yourself? Sometimes I can be impatient, I have the temper of a true redhead but I try to keep it well under control!! My tummy still wobbles something shocking - work in progress though.
    4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections? Yes, I am accepting of who I am, no point trying to change that which can't be changed.
    5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether? I have cheekbones for the fist time in years, and just sometimes my own smile lights up my day...
    6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this? In my mid-twenties I managed to shake off all the self-doubt, and grow to be who I am, not who I thought I was at school when I listened too much to the bullies.
    7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be? My impatience probably.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1. Do you like yourself? Why/why not? - Usually yeah.
    2. What do you like about yourself? - My hair, intelligence, perseverance, generosity.
    3. What don't you like about yourself? - That I tend to be overly self-critical. Ha!
    4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections? - Usually spots. I'm just really bad with them and if I know they're there...
    5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether? - Never. I'm ridiculously vain and find my reflection thoroughly entertaining.
    6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this? - Pretty much 14 through ongoing (25). How? Within a wider context of depression I realised it was either top myself or stop moping around like a loathsome teenager. For whatever reason that sorta worked and I just review why I'm feeling what I'm feeling and if it has no solid base, dismiss it.
    7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be? - Hair a touch less frizzy and more curly on the top third of my head. Otherwise, I quite like my character flaws.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    1. Physically/Aesthetically I like where I've progressed so far, not satisfied with end result just yet. Outside of that I live a happy life with no complaints.
    2. My dashing good looks.
    3. Currently my right wrist, I sprained it a while ago and it's a pain to deal with.
    4. Nope.
    5. Mirrors help motivate me, no reason to avoid them.
    6. Nope. Always liked myself, maybe didn't have the physique I wanted but I'm currently working on that.
    7. I'd be taller :(
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Sometimes I am confident, hard working, funny and happy. But other times I am self-destructive, lazy and mean,

I'm funny

I'm way too much of a stresshead, I don't think things through a lot, I always try make excuses to get out of things, I avoid conflict, I can be incredibly antisocial at times.

Most days

Used to

Yes. In May when I got to my goal weight. I was so proud of myself. I started going out more, was confident, felt good, looked good. Then I started bingeing again.

I wish I wasn't so indecisive.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, no. I can pretty confidently say I hate myself. Why cos I hate the way I look, I hate having no self esteem or confidence and think I am boring and socially inept. Also I had an amazing girlfriend and let my mental issues stop me from showing her how much I loved her and they got in the way of the relationship and she ended it, and I can't forgive myself for that.

Pretty much nothing, at a push I am independant, intelligent I guess, and a good listener for others.

See 1.

Not really, can't polish a turd as they say

Sometimes.

No probably the opposite. I used to be almost pleased that I was a bit different, but no I wish I fitted in better, and was more normal.

Me.
    Or if it has to be one part I would not have depression and anxiety, might still have the girl of my dreams then!
  • FauxNinja
    Options
    Yes. I have all the qualities that I would look for in a friend. Trustworthy. Loyal. Confident. Apathetic.
    My tenacity.
    My inability to conquer my weight.
    No. Happy with my appearance.
    No.
    Always liked myself. Just disliked some of my decisions.
    My weight -- Obviously.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    1. Yes I do. I am Funny and out going and get a long with everyone
    2. My sense of Humor
    3. Currently I am dealing with some financial issues and I dislike the way it has changed my mood. I tend to be snappy, mean and I am having a hard time clearing my head and staying focus at times.
    4. Depends on the day. I still have a stubborn spare tire that is a pain to get rid of
    5. NO
    6. I think we all go through that on a daily basis. Age doesn't really matter except that with age you get wiser and understand what is more important in life
    7. To have more muscle.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    1. Do you like yourself? Why/why not? For the most part, although I am very self-conscious physically.
    2. What do you like about yourself? Most non-physical aspects, such as sense of humor and intelligence. Physically, hair, teeth, eyes, skin, breasts, shoulders, and derriere.
    3. What don't you like about yourself? Stomach and legs. I have scars and birthmark on my legs. Also my freak out anger factor and lack of confidence in balancing showing my abilities and offending/intimidating other people. I don't get very angry often, but when I do I completely shut down and end life-long relationships for good.
    4. Do you ever have days when you look in the mirror non stop trying to fix imperfections? Not really.
    5. Or do you avoid mirrors altogether? I used to when I weighed more.
    6. Have you ever gone through a transition from not liking yourself to liking yourself? If so, at which ages? And how did you do this? Yes, several times, through weight loss and meeting physical challenges. I felt very good at age 32 (I am 39 now) and pretty good at age 35.
    7. If you could change one thing about yourself - what would it be? Stop struggling with food (life long issue)
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options

generally yes i try to be a good person and support family and friends

im friendly i get on with pretty much everyone im a good friend

my appearance

i have body dysmorphia i constantly find imperfections whether they are there or not.

generally yes for the above reason, it can make me feel physically sick seeing myself.

i like myself enough to lose weight and be healthy, been working on it the past 4/5 years. by working my *kitten* off!

my body?