Staying motivated when you're "Skinny Fat"

Options
I am what is often referred to as "skinny fat." My body fat percentage is around 27%. I'm 27" around the waist, 36" around the hips and 23" around the thighs. my upper body is thin and I have a really small frame, I can wrap my pinky finger and thumb around my wrist and still have room to spare. However, I can grab handfulls of fat on my hips, waist and thighs. I know someone with a small frame like me shouldn't be able to do that so I want to get in shape and bring my body fat percentage down.

The problem is, I look thin. When ever I try to restrict my calories all of my friends tell me it's not good for me because I'm not overweight. Or people say, "Oh, you already look great, you don't need to lose weight." Even when I point out my thighs (which are relatively big compared to my hips and waist) they say, "it's probably just natural, you're already thin so there's probably nothing you can do about it." They can't see me without clothes, they don't know how much fat I have, but I tend to forget that and think, "They're right! I'm already somewhat thin, I'm not overweight, I don't need to diet!" and I go back to my old habits.

What can I do to stay on my diet? I want to get my body fat percentage down in the fitness range, but it's hard to remember when I look into the mirror (with clothes on) and don't see someone who needs to lose weight, and it gets especially hard when I go out with my friends and they convince me that I don't need to be on a diet. I feel like a weak dieter because I let myself become derailed so easily. What can I do to keep myself on track?

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey. :)
    If you want to lower your body fat percentage I think maybe it's a good idea to get into strength training. Losing weight wouldn't make you less skinnyfat... You won't get that fit look you want by losing weight. And I believe that working on fitness will help you with your awareness to your body, what it looks like and what it can do. :)
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you want to lower your body fat percentage I think maybe it's a good idea to get into strength training. Losing weight wouldn't make you less skinnyfat... You won't get that fit look you want by losing weight. And I believe that working on fitness will help you with your awareness to your body, what it looks like and what it can do. :)

This. Set your calories to maintenance and start lifting some weights. You won't lose lbs, but you will lose fat and add muscle, getting out of the dreaded "skinny fat" zone.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! When you are not so much unhappy with the weight but with the shape of your body, doing more exercises is the only way to improve it. And please remember eat all the calories you burn while exercising since building some lean muscles, which will reshape you, is possible only when you give yourself enough good, nutritious food.

Good luck! And please read old topics about eating all the calories so you will not jepardize your efforts.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Strength training for the win. If you are already a good size (skinny) but soft, pick up some iron.

I don't know your height, but I started with measurements similar to yours. I have no shame and have been plugging my own post. I went from skinny fat to fit and continue working on it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815749-ladies-don-t-be-afraid-of-lifting-heavy-pic
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What you need to do is to put some muscle on your frame which is very difficult to do if you are eating at a calorie deficit (dieting) except for some specific categories.

Eat at a calorie surplus while following a good resistance training programme. You will probably gain a little fat as well but that is a necessary evil.

After about 6 months keep your resistance training programme but eat at a calorie deficit consistently until you have stripped off the fat to the point where you like what you see in the mirror.

Job done.