Does anyone else have problems getting enough calories?

Options
I find when I'm watching what I eat and making healthy choices I have problems getting enough calories. Sure, I find a way, adding snacks and stuff like that. It can be so frustrating though, thinking well what else can I eat just to get a minimum amount of calories!?

My biggest problem prior to starting my weight loss journey was mindless eating, snacking because I was bored, and just making poor choices that I knew were bad. Now that I'm more conscious and trying to log everything I eat I'm have trouble finding nutrient rich healthy foods.

Suggestions?

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and spoon 'tis all you need. :smile:
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options

^^^ This. NOM.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    100g oats (or maltodextrin)
    -70g of whey
    -1 BIG tablespoon peanut butter (I prefer to eat it from jar LOL)
    -Berries or banana
    -Tablespoon of ground linseed to aid your digestive system
    -500ml water or milk

Blend, and drink. Nom. 800-1000 calories in a single drink!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking some of your calories. Add a glass of milk or juice.
  • Sharkington
    Options

Yep - as long as you like it, the calories can add up quickly for when you need extra. And like peanut butter, you can eat a relatively small amount of any nuts (I like pecans, almonds, and walnuts) and get a lot of nutrients (and calories).

I feel like I am always mentioning eggs on these forums, but seriously, eggs. One large egg has, on average, about 70-80 calories and I love to hard boil a bunch and eat them for snacks and I also throw them on my salads to get some added calories and protein. :)

Oh, and avocado is very good for you too.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I generally have a hard time meeting my calories, especially when you throw in some physical activity. If I utilize nuts in my salads or as a snack, it certainly helps out. Also, if I eat certain things such as Quinoa salad that's packed with a mixture of fruit and vegetables such as beets, carrots ect it helps out, too.

I'm not really big on drinking calories, but what the lady mentioned might be helpful, too.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Oh cook your food in coconut oil,add omega 3s,few tablespoons udos or EVOO and eat plenty of nuts.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Because I work overnights and have weird sleep schedule I often have this same problem. Usually when I have to add in some quick calories just to make the minimum I'll have a rice or multigrain cake topped with either peanut butter or nutella.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are a possibility.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are a possibility.

^^^^ This! I have a handful of Almonds
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack of dried fruit and nuts to get in some quick calories if I'm under my minimum or peanut butter on toast. As my calorie goal is set at 1.5lbs per week I try to stick as close as I can to that goal.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Never an issue for me. Avocado, olive oil, feta, almonds, Greek yogurt, bananas, honey....
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have this problem. Healthy fats are calorie dense, like others have posted, cook with extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, add flax into foods. Trail mix (dried fruit and nuts) have a lot of calories and are good for you. Swap out skim milk for 2% or whole, use real butter instead of light margarine. Regular cheese instead of low calories/low fat/diet cheese. If I have some calories left and I feel like a treat, I have a couple squares of extra dark chocolate.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can easily down a crapton of food in one sitting.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. no. I don't have this problem.

You're trying to lose weight, right -- which means that you put on weight excess weight in the first place? So at some point you knew how to eat enough calories, as you were eating too much.

Don't give up on all of the foods you love. That's not sustainable.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do have this problem. mainly because I obsess too much about the calories and so don't eat things. If I do have a bunch of calories left though I'll have peanut butter with an apple or banana. LOVE me some PB!!
  • ConnieRoxx
    Options
    I'm definitely having this problem. Before I would eat whatever and not really pay it any mind. Now that I'm actually recording what I'm eating, it's hard to get enough of the correct calories... I'm allergic to nuts, and I'm lactose-intolerant. HELP! :sad:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. You don't necessarily have to eat more or fill in the gaps with junky snacks, just go for more calorie dense healthy foods, like so many have listed - avocados, nuts & nut butters, use olive or coconut oils, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more high fat foods like nuts or nut butters and avocado. Also cook or dress your foods with extra virgin olive oil or other vegetable oils. Fat has more than twice the calories of protien and carbs.
  • corazo23
    Options
    100g oats (or maltodextrin)
    -70g of whey
    -1 BIG tablespoon peanut butter (I prefer to eat it from jar LOL)
    -Berries or banana
    -Tablespoon of ground linseed to aid your digestive system
    -500ml water or milk

Blend, and drink. Nom. 800-1000 calories in a single drink!

This is a ridiculous amount of food.. thats 3 cups of oatmeal right? A normal (not bodybuiler) woman can not consume that .. plus the problem is that we feel full already.. so chugging a huge thick shake isnt going to help. Will just feel bloated.