New to Everything Exercisey!

Options
I've signed up to a gym three weeks ago and have only had one or two days off, very proud of myself!
I am here to increase fitness and tone, although I am within my good weight range my fitness level is non existent and it needs a boost!

Just a few questions for people more in the know then I!

When is the best time to weigh yourself? In your experience is going to the gym everyday too much (usually classes)? With MFP have you found that when you have earned your extra calories from exercise it hasn't hindered your progress if you do have that little extra to eat? For instance, I have about 780 calories remaining for the day, 400 of them earnt from exercise. Just want to make sure I don't go backwards from confusion of using the site in the wrong way!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• mfdl1
    mfdl1 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi,i weigh myself once a week, in the morning would be better as this gives you your true weight,earning calories from exercising is good as it gives you more to eat.:happy:
  • reneemareed
    Options
    Thank you! I thought the morning was the go but wasn't too sure :)

I'm off for a sneaky snack in that case!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning , the same day, once a week and for me this is the maximum. Also if you are going to the gym more, even just for classes I'd take measurements too as at time these will change when weight doesn't and you'll not be disheartened. I do chest, arm, waist, hips and thigh every 2-3 weeks.

I also use the calories I earn if I feel I need them, so some days I only eat my food goal calories and some days I eat that plus all my earned calories. My best advise is to listen to your body and always make it healthy food :-)
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hiya - also new to the gym and working it out as I go along. I'm doing intermittent fasting and as far as I know am not supposed to eat back calories on fast days, but I will definitely be pleased for the extra on regular days!
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Agree with whats being mentioned - recommended that you weigh once a week, mornings, after going to the bathroom on the same day each week.

I have begun to love the gym myself - 6 times a week with one day for rest.

Depending on how strenuous your workouts are - rest days are recommended but if you find that your muscles aren't stiff and you doing a relatively moderate session - can go in everyday .... as mentiponed above, listen to your body as overexertion can have some bad side effects.

As for the workouts - cardio and weights are what is recommended .... wherever i've read up, weight training really helps with fat loss/toning/definition etc. but i must admit, im a little bad in this regard as i love cardio - addicted to spinning and running - can do this everyday.

The main thing is that you making it to the gym everyday and this being said, so long as there is something you enjoy, keep going with it as it keeps you active. Read a quote that once said, if if you running slowly or walking, you still lapping the people on the couch.

Sounds like you have your weight under conotrol - as for fitness, i'd recommend giving spinning a go if possible and offered. What i've also found helpful is working on your core ... i cant comment on the weight training as i got a way to go here myself but apparently the rewards are great.

Whatever floats ones boat i guess .... different folks, different strokes so long as results are being realised.
  • reneemareed
    Options
    Thank you for the very helpful tips and information everyone! I made the mistake of not weighing myself before I started the gym three weeks ago so am a little annoyed that I may already have results that aren’t noted! Oh well….off to buy a measuring tape and scales today – finally.

sziman – I have also wondered about fasting at times or the meal in a smoothie type diets. Not sure about the fasting, but I have found that smoothies etc give you a great healthy energy boost but as it is absorbed so quickly it does not keep you full for long at all! Will be interested to know how you go with the fasting and if it is a struggle?

I enjoy my classes and I think I have a really good variety. Unfortunately I am not a runner, but I am getting good with aerobic work outs, then some weight/pump classes, sculpting classes, ab classes and then some power walking etc…hopefully one day I will have enough fitness to run properly! But at the moment I am quite sure I am getting an adequate all over body work out :)