How often do you weigh yourself?

Hi all!

I'm not doing intensive weight loss as I haven't got more than 5kg overall to lose and I'm taking my time at it, so for me I was thinking once a week.

So how often do you lovely folks weigh yourself? I'm just wondering if I should do it twice a week or maybe less than once a week, I don't want to become obsessed with weighing myself or lose site of my progress.

Replies

• ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    I think once a week is perfect for you!

I weigh myself every weekday morning but only pay real attention to Mondays (starting) and Friday's (ending) weights. The rest of the week just to see which direction I'm trending in.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I weight myself on the 1st of every month.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    I weight myself once a week (always friday morning!) I wanted to try and weigh myself monthly as i think you see bigger results and feel amazing, but of course i get annoyed with waiting and have to weigh in once a week.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    I don't think it matters unless it matters to you. If you're happy doing it twice a week or twice a month then do it that way. It's about what you will find inspiring and help you stay focused on doing what is best for your body when you're NOT on the scale.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Too often. Every day. I had previously made myself limit weigh-ins to once a week, but I got 'stuck' and was determined to see the numbers go down. They're starting that trend now, thankfully.
  • meskibrp
    meskibrp Posts: 23 Member
    Once a week is a good idea. I do it first thing in the morning, every sunday. To many things can factor in if you measure daily. Once a week gives you a bigger picture. I do it every sunday to give me time 4o adjust my diet/exercises before the week starts.

I would suggest once a week as well. Anything to long... just wastes your time and it makes it harder for corrections to be made.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    I weigh daily - but only track it weekly. I am not hung up on the daily weighing, but it is a great way to remind myself that weight fluctuates - in my case a lot! That way if I am not happy with the official day number, I have some perspective. I am also using it to see patterns based on the day before: activity? salt? foods? day of week?

I agree with Pixietoes - it is what works for you as motivation not making you nuts.
  • I have issues with the scales... generally I weigh 3 times a day, but more if I just happen to be in the bathroom where the scales are.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I do it every day. I like to keep myself on track and it works for me. I don't have the patience to wait for a weekly weigh in.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I weigh daily - but only track it weekly. I am not hung up on the daily weighing, but it is a great way to remind myself that weight fluctuates - in my case a lot! That way if I am not happy with the official day number, I have some perspective. I am also using it to see patterns based on the day before: activity? salt? foods? day of week?

I agree with Pixietoes - it is what works for you as motivation not making you nuts.

This
  • Every Tuesday morning, I really look forward to it haha.
  • Every morning before I take a shower. It helps keep me focused! :happy:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Once a week now to satisfy a challenge here. But, normally I only do it when I feel a woosh.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194

My scale automatically logs; so I log it daily too. I'm trying to get a handle on why I retain water some days and dump it the next. I need to start logging my activity level.

For you I think once a week is perfect. But it truly depend on you and how you react to it. For me it's more important to make sure that I'm "doing the right thing" daily. The weight, in time, should come down if I do that. But I kinda treat it scientifically. If the weight doesn't come down, I have data to help me try to figure out what to change to fix it. I'm trying to do this whole weight loss thing in a thoughtful, patient, and steady way.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    I originally posted this as a blog, explaining why I weigh daily:

"I first joined MFP in January 2011 weighing 149.2 lbs - not particularly overweight for my height of 5'5, but not comfortable. Following a 1200 calorie eating plan and weighing myself daily, I reached goal of 130 by June the same year......coincidentally on my 49th birthday.

On to maintenance - the hardest part, some say......upped calories & ate back exercise calories & weighed in every few days. Managed to maintain between 130 & 135 for the next 6 months or so.

2012......So many family parties & celebrations! Youngest son's 18th; my 50th; nephew's 21st; oldest son's wedding; middle sister's 25th wedding anniversary; youngest sister's wedding; Dad's 75th and a 2-week cruise, amongst others! So much food and so many to indulge in my favourite past-time. The scales went out the window to a certain extent. Yes, I know I was putting on weight....."it's OK, let's get these celebrations out the way then I'll get back on it"......you all know how it is, we've all been there.......

My profile pic was taken on our cruise........a perfect overeat occasion! The shorts were a bit tight........can almost see a camel-toe! but I was determined to enjoy it and made a promise that I would get back on track and lose the weight once we got home.
    28th October 2012.......first morning after arriving home. OK.....weigh in time. OMG.... 158.5lbs!!!!! 9.3lbs more than when I first started on MFP and certainly heavier than I've ever been, excluding pregnancies.

Time to get really serious about this. Pulled out my nutrition sheet given to me by the gym.......low carbs, high protein, etc. Haven't followed it to the letter, but stuck reasonably close to the guidelines........and weighed every day.

Fast forward a little to today (30th November) almost 5 weeks since returning from the cruise. I now weigh 149.4lbs.....a loss so far of 9.1lbs!

Because of how I know myself and how my mindset works, I know that if I didn't weigh every day, I would get complacent and slip back into my old ways. For me, it's the only way to keep me on track.

i have an Aria scale, which is synced to MFP, so my weight is automatically posted to here.....what you see is what I've lost - straight from the scale.

So please, don't criticise those who do weigh every day.........we're all different, and for some of us, this is the only way......... "

Have lost a further 2lbs since posting this at the end of November.

I know that scales go up & down on a daily basis, so am not fazed by the occasion upward turn, so long as it is not long-lasting.

Sue :smile: xxx
  • Oooh great responses :)

I quite like the idea of weighing every day to see how my weight trends (ShinyDragonfl) and especially to figure out if it's due to my diet (Pitxitxita). I weigh on Sundays too, completely agree it gives you time to adjust for the week ahead (meskibrp), and also you can think "ahh clean slate starting Monday."

You've all been very helpful :) I think I'll stick to once a week for now, but would go daily for a while if I hit a wall to figure out where I'm going wrong. Thanks guys :)
  • Thanks for sharing that Sue :) And well done you!! :)
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks for sharing that Sue :) And well done you!! :)
    Iweigh myself 0-2 times a day (maybe 7 times a week total). But Often in the mornings, sometimes in afternoon/evening if I remember.
    Its not that I'm looking to see if I've lost weight in a 12 hour span, but just to get a better idea of what my weight really is (ie see the variation within a day/week) since if you only took it once a week, that reading is anywhere within a 5lb range -- so its possible you've lost 3lbs of fat but the readings would be the same if you happened to have a low reading in one week and a high reading the next.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    ive started to weigh myself daily, however only log once a week. it is nice to see the scale move in the right general direction and help to keep me motivated :)
  • Everyday. i think it' turned into my "new" addiction.