Cabbage Ideas?

Options
a_vettestingray
a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
I have 3/4 a head of cabbage left over from making soup yesterday.

Does anyone know of any other recipes (excluding cole slaw and sauerkraut) so I can use up the rest of the cabbage?

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Shred 1/2 head of cabbage (you can do the whole thing then scale up the rest of the ingredients a bit)

Melt 1 tablespoon (or more) butter in a large skillet, add 1/4 cup chicken broth, add the cabbage.

Also some salt and pepper, some fresh herbs if you've got them. Cabbage is pretty plain by itself, but not bad-tasting.

Bring it all to a simmer, cover and cook until wilted but still bright green, stirring a bit, 8 minutes or so.

Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
  • mirasolabeille
    Options
    It's amazing sautéed with onions and apples. In duck fat, if you're French, but butter or coconut oil works too.

I'm also a fan of the boiled dinner - cut the cabbage into thick slabs, peel a couple of carrots or potatoes, put in a pressure cooker with some corned beef and water or low-sodium stock - boom. Cold-weather culinary nirvana.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    i cook in olive oil until caramelized and then add some crushed red pepper and/or a can of tomatoes with green chilies.
  • blackunicorn101
    Options
    You can make a small salad of it. It's a typical dish at my home.

Ingredients:
    Cabbage (raw)
    lime
    onion
    salt
    tomato

Procedure:
    -Cut cabbage in small slices into a bowl
    -Squeeze half a lime (or more if you'd like) into the bowl
    -Cut onions or grate onions into bowl
    -Cut tomato into pieces, place in bowl
    -Add salt to taste
    -(Optional-shredded carrots)
    -Eat

This is very yummy and I make sure to have some whenever I eat at home.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump!! Loooove cabbage!

I do a yummy deconstructed cabbage roll casserole. I haven't made it since starting calorie counting(I used to do WW) but I intend to do it this week and it should be pretty calorie counting friendly.

Anyway, I brown half a pound of ground turkey breast with onions and garlic in a bit of coconut oil. I add fresh tomato sauce(if it's garden season) or canned crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes if it's not that season and spices and seasonings to the meat mixture and let simmer for about 20 mins. While that's simmering I chop up my cabbage and put it in a pot with a tad bit of water and let it cook until softened. I then layer the meat/sauce mixture and then the cabbage, and the rest of the meat mix and the rest of the cabbage. Top with some mozz cheese and bake until bubbly. YUM!!! This dish is so delicious!!!!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    bump!! Loooove cabbage!

I do a yummy deconstructed cabbage roll casserole. I haven't made it since starting calorie counting(I used to do WW) but I intend to do it this week and it should be pretty calorie counting friendly.

Anyway, I brown half a pound of ground turkey breast with onions and garlic in a bit of coconut oil. I add fresh tomato sauce(if it's garden season) or canned crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes if it's not that season and spices and seasonings to the meat mixture and let simmer for about 20 mins. While that's simmering I chop up my cabbage and put it in a pot with a tad bit of water and let it cook until softened. I then layer the meat/sauce mixture and then the cabbage, and the rest of the meat mix and the rest of the cabbage. Top with some mozz cheese and bake until bubbly. YUM!!! This dish is so delicious!!!!

This sounds great! Also, the corned beef sounds pretty good, and I like crockpot friendly recipes. I am weird and I don't like raw cabbage, so the salad is out, lol. Thanks!
  • sashastackhouse
    sashastackhouse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are really adventurous, try making your own kimchi! It's Korean fermented cabbage. It takes a while but it is spicy and delicious and goes really well with a fried egg in the morning!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Kapusta -- shredded cabbage, onions, mushrooms sauted in butter (or olive oil) until cooked through.

Bigos -- Kapusta + the addition of bacon and/or kielbasa added

Haluski -- Kapusta + dumplings (or egg noddles) added.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump..love cabbage!
  • corinnenkotb75
    corinnenkotb75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make cabbage lasagna its so good and calorie friendly.

Just boil the cabbage leafs and use them like you would pasta and then use turkey or pork mince to make the filling

There are few different versions of recipes if you google them and substitute what works for you.

Check the link to see photo of what it looks like:

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae315/corinneshartgreetings/CabbageLasagna5.jpg

Enjoy.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for roasted cabbage once that I really liked. Cut the cabbage into slices. Place on a sheet pan and brush with olive oil and season, and then cook at 425 until brown and crispy. I couldn't stop eating it.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas...I'm glad this question was asked!
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for roasted cabbage once that I really liked. Cut the cabbage into slices. Place on a sheet pan and brush with olive oil and season, and then cook at 425 until brown and crispy. I couldn't stop eating it.

Sounds yummmmy ima try it...what kind of seasoning do you use?
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    It's amazing sautéed with onions and apples. In duck fat, if you're French, but butter or coconut oil works too.

I'm also a fan of the boiled dinner - cut the cabbage into thick slabs, peel a couple of carrots or potatoes, put in a pressure cooker with some corned beef and water or low-sodium stock - boom. Cold-weather culinary nirvana.

With onions and apples is a new one on me. Looking forward to trying it later today!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I cook down a 1/2 head caggage with some EVOO, pepper, etc and then add in 1/2 cup mandarin oranges and juice. Saute. Add cooked ham chunks. Great protein and cabbage is so low in calories! enjoy!
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make cabbage lasagna its so good and calorie friendly.

Just boil the cabbage leafs and use them like you would pasta and then use turkey or pork mince to make the filling

There are few different versions of recipes if you google them and substitute what works for you.

Check the link to see photo of what it looks like:

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae315/corinneshartgreetings/CabbageLasagna5.jpg

Enjoy.
    [/quote

LOVE this idea! I am GF because of allergies and we do lasagna for our Christmas dinner, I'll have to try this!
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    just cut it up, grill it, salt & pepper to season (maybe some cayenne). add more veggies if you'd like. cabbage is delicioussss!!!!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are really adventurous, try making your own kimchi! It's Korean fermented cabbage. It takes a while but it is spicy and delicious and goes really well with a fried egg in the morning!

^^ This. Yes.
    I eat kimchi everyday and cook it with eggs, rice, vegetables, beans, soup, anything!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Depending on how I feel, I either thin slice the cabbage and sautee it with bacon pieces (cutting it with kitchen sheers is easiest), or Icut the cabbage into quarters or 6ths depending on cabbage size, wrap the bacon around it and bake until done (375 degrees about 30-40min)