Obesity: Genetics or Environment?

Options

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Bit of both in my anecdotal experience.

My brother and I have different fathers. We grew up together though in a household that only ate junk, lot of it. We'd both eat lots but whereas he's always been underweight, I have been overweight.

As adults having left home, my brother continues with a bad diet as he dislikes most veg and fruit and he continues to be underweight. I am trying to get my weight down.

My childhood contributes toward my bad eating habits and genetics to me show a difference in me and my brother BUT genetics aren't going to stop me from losing the weight. I know I can do it as I've done it before.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    read your blog , i have to agree ... we all live in a very similar environment with the same temptations. both my parents were once bodybuilders and have never had issues with retaining fat (both hard gainers ) including my brother ... me on the other hand , i tend to gain fat very fast/ as well as muscle and it takes for ever to lose the fat !
    my brother and i grew up eating pretty much the same stuff only difference is he ate TWICE as much as me but is TWICE as thin as me , he doesnt put on fat no matter how much he eats ... WE BROTHERS!!!! only thing i can come up with is that i have different genetics.. somewhere in my family , someone had to be similar to me
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    In my experience i definately feel its the environment over genetics!! Im one of 7 children, we are all totally different!! From the 2 boys i have, they too are totally different!!

Our world is full of things to make life easier, and its made people lazy. Food is often of convenience these days where as years ago it was all good wholesome food that was cooked from scratch and made to go further. You had to walk to go get it, even grow it yourself, farm it yourself, all involving exercise. Now we have engines and machines to do it for us!!

I do feel genetics play a part for some people but for me, its environment.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was told that genetics was the "gun" and the environment was the "trigger" but I don't think genetics is an excuse to be obese. The bottom line is if you eat food in excess, like I did in order to comfort myself, you will gain weight no matter what your genetics say. On the flip side, if you eat adequately for your body and exerciese regularly then you won't be obese/overweight.

For example, my brother and I, who came from the same parents, were totally different. I was overweight/obese and he was skinny growing up. I "credit" my eagerness to comfort myself with food to my weight gain even if my genetics had me programmed to be overweight/obese.

Edit: my answer is environment over genetics =)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Environment 100%.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Environment, environment, environment............unless there is a valid "medical" reason.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    genetics , genetics , genetics ... personality , personality , personality .... dont blame the fkn environment

it boils down to CHOICE ... if u had the personality to not know when to stop and the genetics to store fat on your hips and u in an environment where u exposed to foods u will INDULGE (dont blame the environment )
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I gain weight fast, but I lose it really fast as well, I seem to hold onto muscle regardless of lifting or not. I do have 3 sisters, one eats candy ALL THE TIME, literally bags, and the other same and one eats very unhealthy. All 3 are sedentary and all 3 are normal weight. I'd say I can eat pretty much whatever and exercise and I dont gain single pound.

My dad and mom are not obese, but overweight. Dad is sedentary and mom is very active but she out-eats her workout program. I feel it is definitely genetics that plays a role in all my family's metabolisms, because the environment we are in has cabinets stocked with food all the time and i think we eat/snack literally every hour of the day and i wouldn't consider us unhealthy (on the outside at least!)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Definitely both--predispositions to be obese do not equal obese though. The environment can allow the predisposition to come to fruition but I do think that genetics play a huge role in how we metabolize food.
    Options
    Example: my little brothers--same environment yet one has always been chubby (comparable in shape to his mother) and the other is slender like me and my dad. Oddly the skinny one ALSO shares the same personality traits as me and my dad and the other brother is worlds different! I can't help but think that genetics plays a SIGNIFICANT role.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    this simply means that calories are bull**** and have no significance to us ? tdee is cr@p aswell? that is if genetics play a major role ... never gna win the battle ey
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    We control the density of the food we put in our mouth. We cannot necessarily control our appetites. Learning to eat foods that satiate our appetites is key, IMO.
    Options
    this simply means that calories are bull**** and have no significance to us ? tdee is cr@p aswell? that is if genetics play a major role ... never gna win the battle ey

I think you're interpreting it in an extreme manner.

People don't hesitate to attribute talent to genetics--someone can be a "natural" runner, pianist, whatever BUT that doesn't mean an average individual can't excel--they just have to work harder. Same deal.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Calories do have a roll, they are not the complete picture. However crash dieting is never good.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    genetics will play a role in how and where fat is stored. Some people have nice even distribution over the body, some dont.

But at the end of the day obestiy is caused by peoples in ability to put the fork down with they have had enough food.
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I watched a programme once where a woman who was convinced she had a valid genetic reason why she couldn't lose weight was tested, turns out her genes were fine and there was no medical reason why she shouldn't be able to lose weight. They also tested two friends, one who could 'eat what she wanted' and not gain weight, the other who was overweight but sure she ate less than her friend. They monitored them for 2 weeks, turned out the larger one ate more and exercised less than the thinner one.

A lot of people (not directed to anyone on here) blame large frames or bad genetics, but very, very few people have actual medical excuses to be overweight.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    genetics will play a role in how and where fat is stored. Some people have nice even distribution over the body, some dont.

But at the end of the day obestiy is caused by peoples in ability to put the fork down with they have had enough food.

But genetically we have ghrelin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin ) that controls how one eats. Its not black and white. If you were forever hungry would you simply say that?

This is University of Exeter study which suggest 70% of obesity is genetics and down to our internal functioning's, not environment.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    obesity is a proper disorder ... some people cant help it
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

But genetically we have ghrelin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin ) that controls how one eats. Its not black and white. If you were forever hungry would you simply say that?

This is University of Exeter study which suggest 70% of obesity is genetics and down to our internal functioning's, not environment.

I am always hungry, i just find ways to deal with it. Its called will power. Its only in the last few decades the mass majority of people have had to use willpower. Before, the average citizen didnt have to because there was simply not enough cheap food around.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I am always hungry, i just find ways to deal with it. Its called will power. Its only in the last few decades the mass majority of people have had to use willpower. Before, the average citizen didnt have to because there was simply not enough cheap food around.

So because you are mentally strong, that is the way every one should be? I like you do that, but make no mistake, Ghrelin is one strong hormone and one that is perhaps stronger in OTHERS rather than you. Ever thought that?