1200 cals??

alyciaairforce
alyciaairforce Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a 5 ft tall runner who weighs about 125 pounds. i am by no means fat, just very muscular. i want to get down to about 115 and my diet plan calls for a 1200 cals diet. Adding more calories because i work out, i am eating about 1500 cals a day, maybe a little less. now the question is, can i lose weight eating 1500 cals opposed to the 1200 cals. 1200 cals seems awfully low to begin with. i am worried i am just going to slow down my metabolism. any advice?? thanks!!!! -alycia

Replies

• The plan that MFP made for me also put me on 1200 calories a day. Its really hard b/c you have to limit your meals to about 400 calories a day...that includes drinks and snacks. The good news is, if you work out you can add this and you are alloted more calories. It kinda motivates you to work out a little more if you ate an extra cookie or something.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: with good nutritious food you can sufficiently nourish your body on 1200 calories a day....be sure what you eat is nutrition dense and skip all the empty calories......workout and move a lot and you can add some more calories......it works
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    So according to Discovery Health your Basal Metabolic Rate would be 1370. Everyone thinks that below 1200 calories and you enter a starvation mode, but that's only partly true.

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

That site talks about one of the few studies done where they actually starved people to see what would happen. Basically you enter starvation mode, where your metabolism drops 10%, when you consume 50% or less of the calories you need a day. The 1200 calorie number comes from a 2000 calorie BMR. This in no way means that you should shoot for anywhere near 700 calories, but for you consuming 1200 isn't going to affect your metabolism. If you can and want to, you should.

The other thing you can do which may or may not be easier for you is to increase your exercise. The more you burn the more you can eat. Find the balance that fits for you, and don't worry about your metabolism shutting down.
  • Thank you so much. I agree about getting more calories if you work out more. At least I'm trying not to eat sweets!!! ; )
  • THANK YOU! : )
  • tross099994- great website, thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.