Slim fast

Options
Hi everyone,

well Ive decided to give slim fast a go. I find if Im mega strick with myself i.e I can only eat limited food then I manage to stick to it alot better than trying to find low cal meals 3 times a day so I thought this might work.

Im on my second day anyone doing slim fast?

Replies

• Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing slim fast too!
    I'm doing it because its so easy to do too, I don't have to prepare too much for when I'm at work
  • wonderlandpua
    Options
    I used to do slim fast, it was easy because with the ready made ones, you get a very quick meal which is good if you don't
    have time to cook or even want to cook.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I have a question, when you reach your goal weight, if you reach your goal weight, are you going to continue with the slim fast or are you going to go back to eating real food?

Your profile said you're tired of fad diets and you want to just try eating healthy, so why not just stick with that idea?

I'm sure slim fast is fine for an occasional meal replacement, or if you like it and want it for say, breakfast, it's not much different than a protein shake. But to really strict normally doesn't work, and almost never lasts for the time it takes to lose the weight and to keep it off.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs...I <3 the high protein chocolate shakes. 20 g of protein and 4 carbs. I sometimes add a scoop of protein powder to kick it up a notch.

I do not solely rely on slim fast...maybe 3 shakes a week to replace a meal.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a question, when you reach your goal weight, if you reach your goal weight, are you going to continue with the slim fast or are you going to go back to eating real food?

Your profile said you're tired of fad diets and you want to just try eating healthy, so why not just stick with that idea?

I'm sure slim fast is fine for an occasional meal replacement, or if you like it and want it for say, breakfast, it's not much different than a protein shake. But to really strict normally doesn't work, and almost never lasts for the time it takes to lose the weight and to keep it off.

I kinda agree with the above. A girl I work with is doing lighter life lite. She is the same height and same start weight as me and she started this about the time I joined MFP. She has lost about 28lbs in about 9 weeks, compared to my 16LBS yet she is drinking soups and shakes and then one small meal with restrictions, I am eating real food and even having a glass of wine etc

She has made some snide comments to me about me doing it the ' cheap way' ( lighter life is quite expensive) but when I suggested that all she is doing is kicking the can down the road and will have to start eating real food at some point and start exercising she wasn't impressed.

For me the real thing is that your motivation is highest when you first start something, surely this is the time to make changes not when you have achieved your goal weight by other methods (if you get there as it is very restrictive low calories drinking shakes for a long time?
  • Sammijo24
    Sammijo24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Exactly what he said! Here lately I eat a slim fast meal bar for a quick breakfast or a snack cause the ones I have are super yummy. I personally dont want to rely on that stuff to much.
  • Cristynic02
    Cristynic02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing slim fast as well off and on as it is quick for lunch when I'm at work. I started seeing a nutritionist and she told me the sugars and carbs were kinda high for what it is and I agree with that. I actually switched over to the EAS AdvantEdge carb control shakes. Only 4 carbs and 0 sugar compared to the 25 carbs and 18 sugar in slim fast. I'm sure though its still better than eating fast food aka "fat food". Hope this helps
  • skinnybitchmode01
    Options
    I'm doing slim fast too!
    I'm doing it because its so easy to do too, I don't have to prepare too much for when I'm at work

This is the best bit!! Im so rubbish at preparing a healthy lunch the night before and dont have time in the morning! I think even after slimfast Ill continue to have a shake for lunch xx
  • skinnybitchmode01
    Options

my problem is unless Im on a strick diet (i know it sounds stupid) I have no will power!! Im hoping to train my self to eat less by doing the slim fast diet and then go back to eating a healthy breakfast have a shake for lunch and a healthy dinner! Snacking is my main problem.
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do this every day - too boring and restrictive. However, what I have found easy to stick to is 5:2 diet / intermittent fasting - have been doing it for 3 months now, am losing steadily and don't feel deprived.

I stick to 500 calories on Monday and Thursday (dinner, plus a few coffees throughout the day) and then eat a regular amount of food the other 5 days of the week (around 1578 calories for those days). I've lost a stone so far. There are reported health benefits too, but I'm no expert so would suggest you have a read up on the research available. MFP is not really set up for a different amount of calories on different days so it does give me dire warnings on the 500 days that I'm not eating enough, but then I go over its suggested calories for weight loss on the other days. (I just set it to 1lb loss per week, added up my calories for the week, removed 1000 for the fast days and divided what was left by 5)

Just a thought as an alternative anyway.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I think the 3-2-1 slim fast plan isn't a smart idea but I'll drink a slim fast after a workout for protein and to keep me full for a while.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

well Ive decided to give slim fast a go. I find if Im mega strick with myself i.e I can only eat limited food then I manage to stick to it alot better than trying to find low cal meals 3 times a day so I thought this might work.

Im on my second day anyone doing slim fast?

I started with Slim Fast! I've been on here about a month and a half. First week I really hit Slim Fast hard and then the second week I was doing a breakfast shake and using snacks. By the third week I was only doing shakes for breakfast (I don't usually eat breakfast anyways).

I think it was a GREAT tool to get me started, and I'm not an expert cook on low calorie foods, but I found that I rather have my own food and plan accordingly for meals. I may go back to the breakfast shakes because that seemed the easiest for me.

Maybe use it as a kick-start instead of a "diet"
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    I have tried the slim fast diet way too many times, at least a few times a year for the past 5 years. I, personally, could not stick to it. I'd be good for 2 weeks or so, losing weight and feeling good. But I LIKE to eat, and even tho I did find the shakes filling, I was always looking for something to snack on. I'd drink the shake then an hour later be in the kitchen rummaging for something to eat. And then once I messed up one day I'd beat myself up and quit, gaining back every ounce I lost. For me, I need a lifestyle change and something I can maintain long term and be happy. I do keep a few bottles in my fridge still in case I wake up to late for breakfast, and like it for that purpose.
  • bunnylover91
    Options
    I drink slimfast for breakfast purely because im lazy and cannot face food on a morning, but if I dont eat before work I end up smelling bacon buns and wanting one (my office is next to the canteen) so if I have a shake for breakfast it means I dont eat bacon so thats good. I am starting to use them for some dinners as sometimes im too tired to cook and end up ordering pizza, a shake is a better option than a pizza so thats good there, im out of the house upto 16 hours a day grab shake and sleep sounds like a good plan. Lunch I usually eat whatever I want, but if I have the other two meals as shakes and snack on veges all day it works out low calorie still, this is basically my losing weight plan. As for maintaining when im at my goal weight I dont see why I couldnt have shakes for breakfast daily still, hearty lunch, many veges as snacks and then either shake or meal for dinner really.
  • skinnybitchmode01
    Options
    wow that fasting thing sounds like its good and working for you. I dont think I could be that good though. I must say Im finding SF very easy x
  • skinnybitchmode01
    Options
    I think this is what im basically going to do once Ive lost a bit because I do enjoy the shakes so Im going to swop some meals for them. Stops me eating bad stuff when Im hungry and havent prepared anything.
  • Haniabebe
    Options
    28lb in 8 weeks? too much too soon, the weight will come back as fast as it come off, you need to eat real food and exercise to be successful. i don't know anybody who kept weight off long term on slim fast.
  • jeepgirl4ever
    Options
    I also do better on a liquid diet, then trying to stick to low calorie meals. On a liquid diet I can have, a milkshake a few times a week, and drink wine coolers/mixed drinks, and still lose weight. If I stick to a liquid diet for 2 weeks, I can lose 5 pounds a week, without excessive exercising. Works for me.