Mariah Carey 1200 Calories

Options
puravidame
puravidame Posts: 57 Member
So, how bad is it if I only eat 1400 calories and none of my bonus calories? I get the whole starvation mode thing but is it really that big of deal.

I read an article about how Mariah Carey lost 20lbs by only eating around 1200-1300 calories. Do you really think she was eating her "bonus" calories.

Replies

• puravidame
    Options
    So, how bad is it if I only eat 1400 calories and none of my bonus calories? I get the whole starvation mode thing but is it really that big of deal.

I read an article about how Mariah Carey lost 20lbs by only eating around 1200-1300 calories. Do you really think she was eating her "bonus" calories.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Probably not, which is why next year she will balloon again :laugh: :laugh:

If anything, try to eat at least half of them. If you don't, you will find within a week or two (maybe 3) that you cannot lose anything....
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    You really should eat your bonus calories. When your body doesn't get enough food it will hold onto every once of food you DO eat, which will evenutally cause you to feel like crap and not reach your goals. You may lose a little weight at first, but in the long run you will gain it right back because its very important to get enough food each day. Trust me, you will see a difference if you eat the calories you are supposed to be eating, everyone on this website is living proof!!:smile:

-Danielle
  • puravidame
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I just needed to hear it again.
  • Edwina
    Edwina Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What the heck are bonus calories? Are those above and beyond your regular daily calories?
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    What the heck are bonus calories? Are those above and beyond your regular daily calories?
    Those are the calories that you get when you exercise and yes you are supposed to eat them too for instance: 1200 cal a day + 300 cal. for exercising =1500 cal to eat for the day
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Probably not, which is why next year she will balloon again :laugh: :laugh:

If anything, try to eat at least half of them. If you don't, you will find within a week or two (maybe 3) that you cannot lose anything....

:laugh: beth you are funny!!!!!!! and right!!!!

hugs!
  • beep
    Options
    Eating bonus calories was the craziest thing I read on here when I first got on. I just couldn't believe one could lose weight and go over (my limit) 1200 calories. So, I asked a few "losers" on here, like TamTastic who has lost over 85 pounds since September, and a few others. The answers I received were very consistent, EAT THE EXERCISE CALORIES.

After 30 years of not being able to lose more than 10 pounds before going into starvation mode, I can say EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.................IT WORKS.
  • Callen259
    Callen259 Posts: 2
    Options
    what are "bonus" calories? because I'm planning on eating only 1000-1200 cals
  • beep
    Options
    what are "bonus" calories? because I'm planning on eating only 1000-1200 cals

Just another word for "exercise" calories.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    here is the concept for anyone who is confused.

first, forget the idea of 1200 calories. It's a broad generalization and not supposed to be applied to any one person. If your goal happens to put you at 1200 after you read this, then that's fine, but just know that you should eat as much as you are supposed too, not a set amount.

second. there are rules to this. Not everyone should be at a 2 lb a week calorie deficit. It depends on your body type, size, age, sex, and activity level. If you are obese or extremely obese, it's generally ok to have a 1000 calorie a day (2 lb a week) deficit, but that is total, I.E. after you factor in exercise calories. Just because the site allows you to set your goal at 2 lbs a week, doesn't mean you should.

If you are in a BMI that is less then 30 but greater then 25 then a deficit somewhere between 300 and 800 is usually where you want to be. This isn't always the case, but it is a good guideline. Intuitively, the closer to 30 your BMI is, the greater the deficit.

A note about BMI - bmi is a flawed measurement, but it's generally ok for estimating what "range" you are in. In other words, don't use bmi as your weight loss bible, but it's ok to estimate ABOUT where you are at. One note, very athetic, muscular people, pregnant woman, and adolescents aren't accurately predicted with this tool, so if you are one of those, forget it, go get a body fat test with volume displacement instead.

So if your maintenance calories are around say...2200 (just for argument sake), and you are at a bmi of around 28 or so, then I would recommend about a 700 calorie a day deficit, along with a healthy dose of cardio, and 2 or 3 days a week of light to medium weight training. That should give you an average weight loss of about 1.3 to 1.5 lbs a week. That's PLENTY. It doesn't sound like much, but think about it. That's 50 lbs a year! AND it's slow enough that it gives your body time to adjust and you won't be yoyoing back and forth.

Also note that as you lose weight and gain muscle, you should be adjusting your calories, I'd say about every 10 lbs or so you should go back and revisit where you should be, or you might plateau just because your body needs have changed but your eating habits haven't.

There is a bmi tool in the tools section of this site, you can check your bmi there. and if you need to know your maintenance calories, you can get them here:
    http://www.webmd.com/content/tools/1/calc_metabolism.htm

A note about this calculator, it seems to go a little light, so I usually tack on an extra 100 calories or so to it.

Hope this helps.

-banks
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Mariah Carey has no idea what she puts in her mouth, she has a trainer and a personal chef and a bunch of people to tell her what she wants to hear. She is 5'9", same height as me, and I guarantee she didn't eat 1200 cals for long before getting someone to fetch her some food.

It is never a good idea to look to the famous for what is healthy, famous people are notorious for going up and down and going to extremes to get there, whether it's for a part or because there was a bad pic of them somewhere or whatever.

8439.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I, for one, am very happy that I don't have a bunch of people to tell me what I want to hear, I am glad to live in the real world!