protein supplements?

Options
stylistchik
stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
I've been doing research on various protein powders other than whey. My body never processed it well and come to find out its dairy!! (never knew that!) I have a hard time with dairy and try to avoid it in large doses so I'm wondering if any of you have tried soy, hemp, rice, or any other vegan-type protein supplement and how it worked for you? Right now I have a soy/veg powder that is nice with a mild taste but it doesn't mix well. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I use Natural Edge Whey Protein & love it. Definitely check out their product line. Maybe they have a soy based supplement. The whey one I use packs 20 protein every scoop.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Providing i can swallow the foul tasting crap i do ok with it LOL I *foolishly* bought three tubs of this stuff because i figured "well, its gonna get used and it says chocolate on the front, how bad can it be??" to begin with when i was trying to bulk up a bit i took it every day but now im just using it on swim and gym days :0) im definitely going to buy a different brand next time... *Bio Synergy whey powder is the one i have*
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! I have the same problem with dairy. I wish I could use whey because as far as taste and texture it is the best! However, I have tried various products and I find egg protein to be the best. It is actually considered the 'gold standard' of powder because it has a complete amino acid profile and is the most easily digested.

Some people like soy, but I find the texture and taste to be very chalky. I have also tried hemp protein and it tastes like green tea but doesn't mix AT ALL! Very gross.

I have tried Rose Acre Farm plain egg protein at 50 calories/tablespoon. It isn't bad if you blend it with frozen fruit, but it is very sticky and can get chunky. My on-the-go protein is Optimum Nutrition Egg Protein Powder and it mixes well with a decent flavor. After whey it will take some getting used to, but it is the best as far as flavor goes! I also prefer the chocolate over the vanilla. Hope this helps!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    So you don't have any problems with it being eggs?? Thats awesome I'll have to try it! I did buy some organic rice protein and I do like it. It's very bland but mixes well so you can add it to just about anything!! I mix it with water after workouts and I add a scoop to other foods that aren't very high in protein (aka oatmeal)