Physical Limitations

Options
It' s hard to get motivated when you have physical limitations.I get going and then "bam" there goes my knee or my back.How do you get through this?

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I keep trying.

Obviously, you don't want to continue doing something that risks injury because that's counterproductive. But sometimes what you need to do is build up your threshold. My brother, for example, really messed up his kneecaps when a bench came slamming down on them (he was able to rotate them in circles well beyond where they should have gone). The doctors checked him out and had him do strengthening exercises so his muscles were better able to support the joints.

In my case, cancer plus the various treatments completely stripped me of my ability to run. Simply walking to the end of the block pushed my physical limits. But I kept at it, working until I reached the threshold and pushing a little beyond each time. Now I'm doing much better.

Only you can know what your body is telling you, and only you can tell your body to go "just a little longer".
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That has to be tough. Are you in a position to do water activities to take the strain off?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That was very motivating csuhar. Your strength and grace amaze me! Prayers sent for your recovery!
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Check this out. I think it will answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've learned to listen to my body. On "good" days, I push myself to do a bit more. Baby steps over the past year have made a huge difference in my mobility issues.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and free swim was my blessing. I've had 2 knee replacements, one which the doctor broke my leg during the surgery accidentally. Then came the bulging discs in my back, etc.

So when I started this journey, my physician restricted me to water exercise only! Since I love the water, I was happy to start that way and did so for months without adding anything else in. I joined the YMCA and started with the silver sneakers class and free style swim.

Water definitely elevates the strain but you'll burn calories the same as if you were doing them on ground.

Also, for every pound that you lose, you will remove 4 pounds of pressure from your knees. So it will get easier and as you lose weight you'll find it easier to do other things besides just the pool.

Dont push yourself into causing injury to your muscles due to your limitations.
  • UtahWalker
    UtahWalker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying. My right knee is starting to go again. I got 4 spine shots recently which helped my knee and lower back and I have been doing good but now it is starting to wear off and I know I will have more knee and back problems soon. If you try and work harder when you are not in pain so you can coast more when you pain starts coming back, does that speed the pain into coming back sooner? I just try do go at a moderate pace and don't push it even when I feel I could so I will be able to go pain free longer.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, water exersize has been a god send to me as well.:smile:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I keep trying.

Obviously, you don't want to continue doing something that risks injury because that's counterproductive. But sometimes what you need to do is build up your threshold. My brother, for example, really messed up his kneecaps when a bench came slamming down on them (he was able to rotate them in circles well beyond where they should have gone). The doctors checked him out and had him do strengthening exercises so his muscles were better able to support the joints.

In my case, cancer plus the various treatments completely stripped me of my ability to run. Simply walking to the end of the block pushed my physical limits. But I kept at it, working until I reached the threshold and pushing a little beyond each time. Now I'm doing much better.

Only you can know what your body is telling you, and only you can tell your body to go "just a little longer".

First of all, you are awesome and most impressive. And great advice!

Yes, you have to work with your physical limitations, but not be defined by them. I have cerebral palsy and I walk very slowly with a pronounced limp. But I've also completed 11 half marathons, albeit very slowly. I love crossing the finish line and having a medal placed around my neck!

Arthritis in my right hip has slowed me down even further but I refuse to give in. I'm committed to walking 3-4 miles a day and regularly use the elliptical. Find an exercise that you can do and enjoy and make it part of your daily routine. I think you'll feel much better for it!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.. When I hit Month 2 of Insanity, the Plyo routine wrecked my knee. I didn't listen to my body and completed two more days before I decided I had a real issue. I stayed off it and kept it wrapped about about 8 weeks during recoup before I felt it was strong enough to try it again. During that time, I switched from Insanity to getting my cardio on a heavy bag, boxing and a stationary bike, Once the knee recouped, I decided it wasn't a good thing to do 6 days a week of Insanity, so I started a hybrid of Insanity and Les Mills Pump. 3 days of each. When I got the Plyo Month 2 routine, and modified what I could and the knee hurt again after that routine. But, this time, I listened to my knee, have taken a few days off and it's feeling much better now. I have now taken Plyo off the schedule until I can completely strengthen my knee. Modify moves you can to keep from injuring that area. Take time off when you need too. Wear braces where you can. None of us are getting any younger, unfortunately, so we have to listen to our bodies. Anything the Docs can do to actually fix the issue instead of masking it for a few weeks?
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I try to be very attentive to my body and avoid injuries. I have one main piece of advice: PLENTY OF STRETCHING. My main cardio exercise is swimming, I switch up the strokes so I don't emphasize any one stroke too much and overdo those muscles. I have to pay attention to my right shoulder (rotator cuff), my right elbow (tendonitis from years of computer mouse abuse), and my feet (plantar fascitis, broken toe - healing - on right foot, a tendency to tendonitis on the top of the left foot. So that's a lot to pay attention to. I'm lucky it's not my back. But feet - you need those for every activity you are going to do around the house, so I need to be especially good to my feet.

No walking for exercise for me right now. I use the weight machines at the gym and really carefully watch the weight if i will be working my shoulders.

The main thing is pay attention, stop when it starts to hurt, and then be good to yourself. Good luck!
  • jwarren575
    jwarren575 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Wow!! Just watched this myself. Amazing!!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Wow!! Just watched this myself. Amazing!!!

I actually had tears running down my face. Awesome video!
  • mxtodsi
    Options
    I just keep plugging away. Have no choice. My back, hips, and knees never stop hurting. Motrin was helping some but now I learn that it raises blood pressure and mine is already high. It's hard and so often I wish I could retire, but having to work forces me out there to walk.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have a neurological disorder that hinders my motor control, balance, and coordination. I cannot safely do most forms of exercise. I simply found things where it wasn't an issue. That's all there is to it.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

LOVE LOVE this video - what an inspiration!!!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I walk. Even with a limp or crutches, I walk. The only time I do not walk is when told not to do any exercise by my doctors. I was at 30 minutes on my treadmill and got severe sinusitis. I have asthma and had to start back at the beginning again. I am now up to 10 minutes. Just keep picking your self up and keep going. I have a knee that they want to replace and I say catch me first. As long as it still gets around, it works. The day it stops being able to support my weight for more than 5 days, then they can replace it.

That was a great video. Motivated me more.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Wow, thank you for sharing that!!
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is kind of humbling to realize you can't do everything you used to do. I struggle with that too. You are doing great Cindy. Just keep moving and resist the temptation to give up on your fitness.