New Here and Body Media (numbers)

Options
:). Hi there, I'm new here. I signed up because I've been thinking a lot about my calories lately and recently bought a bodyfat scale and a body media FIT. I've had it on for about six weeks and I'm kind of weirded out by the results.

One thing that's odd is that I burn about 2000 calories a day no matter what I'm doing. There's a little bit of variation, for example if I spend all day lying on the couch and only walk 2500 steps, I burn about 1950 calories. But if I go to work, walk around all day, shop at the mall at night, drive and then do a full Pilates reformer workout; register an hour of activity plus 9000 steps a day...I burn about 2100 calories a day. That just seems off to me and I feel even more lost than when I started.

I figure I'm about 30 pounds overweight and I'd like to see it gone but I feel more confused with all this information than I did without it.

Also, my bodyfat scale says my body fat percentage is 26.6 percent, which is overweight. However I'm a size eight, with a 27 inch waist and 37 inch hips. I feel like this is somehow not right.

I also think that 1300 calories a day might be too low for me, which is what MFP says I should be eating. Even if Body Media is right 1300 is just barely any food.

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have the armband and how is it working for you?

Replies

• BodyMedia
    Options
    Hi Smoothnotchun,

Thank you for taking the time to investigate the BodyMedia FIT! If a low impact exercise like Pilates is not registering your burn, you are able to go into the BodyMedia Activity Manager and make adjustments. If this continues to be an issue, please don’t hesitate to reach us at 888-850-2639. We would be happy to help you out!

- Laurie
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    The 1300 is your BMR ... that's what your body needs to function if you are in a comatose state. You set that as your calorie goal, and then the BMF integration increases your calories in based upon your activity burns and the deficit you are seeking (I have mine set for a 500 cal/day deficit). I'm finding my BMF to be very accurate - I was actually skeptical of the high numbers. On days I do nothing except go to work/home/bed, I'm burning about 2000, but it increases to anywhere from 2300 to 2900 based upon the amount of activity I'm doing in a day. (I lift weights 3-4 days a week and do moderate cardio for a minimum of 20 minutes at least 3 days/week)