On Coffee and a Sweet Tooth

Options
Hi everybody!

I was hoping to get some wisdom/suggestions from you. I just started with MFP yesterday, although I have done various diets over the years with varying degrees of success... Most notably, I did WW before my first kid was born; I loved it and lost about 50 lbs. Now, three kids and a lot of cookies later, I find myself again needing to lose about 40-50 lbs. I know HOW to do it, but motivation is so hard for me!

Anyway-- I have a terrible sweet tooth, and even after I eat a meal and feel satisfied, I still feel like I need something sweet to cap it off. Has anybody experienced this, or have any suggestions on how to curb this?

Also-- I am pretty addicted to 1 or two cups of coffee a day. The problem is that I love them with lots of cream and sugar-- or tons of that chemically-horribly-bad-for-you-flavored-non-dairy-creamer. :/ Anybody have any great ideas for slashing some calories on coffee, and still keeping it sweet and yummy?

TIA!!!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Use half the creamer you normally use
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Some people say use protein powder for creamer, I don't know, but at least it's protein. I drink my coffee black, but the 1/2 the creamer idea is a good idea.

As far as the sweet tooth, I get that upon occasion and I will grab something sweet. Just keep within your calories, and you'll be fine. That's the only reason weight watchers works, they portion control and calorie count for you.

Enjoy food, go over calories once in while, and don't feel guilty about it or get all freaked out when some of your macros are red. It's all part of life. If you can't eat now in a way that you can continue for the rest of your life, then you're not going to be successful.

This isn't hard, it isn't magic, it's really simple. Eat food, watch calories, lose weight. Work out for help with calorie deficit, but more importantly, body composition.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    For the creamer, try creamer so delicious (pretty sure it's that brand, but's its the only coconut creamer I ever see in the fridge section) original coconut creamer (not the flavored ones.) It has the nice mouth feel of half and half, but none of the funky added syrup flavors. Use your own sweeteners. There are some decent FF creamers out there, but way more bad than good. This one is now my preferred creamer (even over half and half.) if you like the 'flavored stuff' start trying some SF syrups. you don't have to totally give stuff up, but weaning yourself down can sometimes help you to appreciate other flavors!

When I started drinking espresso, its was mochas only! Now anything that sweet with coffee makes me gag, because I made conscious effort to lower the sugar (less and less pumps of choc until I was down to a latte), then less and less milk. Now when I drink either, it pretty much gets the BLECH response because I'm use to it a different way.

For coffee, make sure you're drinking good, non-bitter coffee. If you buy cheap beans, up your game. Good coffee doesn't need much to cut it and really good coffee... well, I still like a tinch of creamer, but it doesn't take much. That said, I usually drink espresso (ese pods or cartridges.) Even with a good shot of espresso, GOOD is the key. It can be strong, but not so bitter that it needs to be drowned. I love a 'long shot' of espresso with about 1 T creamer in it. In adorable little cups. And saucers. MUST HAVE SAUCERS.

For yummies, don't deny yourself (for me that makes impulse control harder.) Just pick smaller nummies. Lately, I've been having a nightly decaf espresso with one (or two) franz bakery macaroons (little bit of chocolate on it, 100 cal for 2 cookies.) Coconut is SO chewy and dense, it's a very satisfying treat. If it makes you happy... just adjust your calories to allow for it.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Glad you are here. This is a wonderful site!

I have a horrible sweet tooth.... and I combat it in a few different ways, I either budget a sweet into my day (workout more),or eat fruit after a meal. Other times I just let myself eat extra sweets and know that it will all even out eventually.

For the coffee, I would gradually step back on the cream and sugar over a course of a few weeks. Just add less cream and sugar each day. After awhile you won't miss it... just make sure you are drinking good quality coffee and you will find you won't need the extra cream or sugar.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    i can totally relate! i too have kids, a busy life and love coffee. i have recently begun taking my coffee with only 2 % milk and then letting myself splurge just once a week. it only took a few days to really enjoy the coffee without all the extra added sweets. as far as the sweet tooth thing, you need to re-train your taste buds. if you cut out processed sugar, it wont be long before those things are TOO sweet for you. if you need something sweet, try some fresh pineapple or greek yogurt with fresh berries or honey. it will satisfy your sweet tooth but not be unhealthy! good luck, i know its hard!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my coffee :) I can have a huge glass of milky iced coffee for breakfast for only 50 cals! :D
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Use a little less cream/sugar everyday? Black coffee is an acquired taste but once you get it down you probably won't go back. I've been drinking it black for years now, other than very rare treats from Dunkins which, now that it's been so long, I don't even enjoy as much as I used to. It's more of it looks good when a friend or family member gets one.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    After meals try drinking peppermint tea.. It's not as good as full on dessert but I find it helps with the after dinner sweets cravings.. Or you can always try yogurt and fruit..
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    drink your coffee black, you will get used to it, i actually prefer it that way. and it kills sweet tooth too. however if you MUST have something just have a tiny bit of dark chocolate-also good for you :)
    hope this helps!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Carnation (or your store brand) powdered milk. It doesn't dilute your coffee the way milk will. Also, Torani Sugar Free Syrup. It has Splenda in it. I have a major sweet tooth/coffee addiction and this is what get's me through.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    drink your coffee black, you will get used to it, i actually prefer it that way. and it kills sweet tooth too. however if you MUST have something just have a tiny bit of dark chocolate-also good for you :)
    hope this helps!

^^this. It isn't that hard to get used to drinking your coffee black. First ditch the artificial sweetener, and then slowly decrease the amount of creamer. Once you go black, you don't go back!

The best part is that once you get used to black coffee you'll start to really appreciate the different flavors in coffee more.
  • tekkguy
    tekkguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee with tons of cream and sugar also. I did a vegetable fast where I wasn't allowed any coffee, and found myself doing goofy things like waking up while driving. I decided coffee was better than death, so I modified the fast and started drinking it black. I enjoy coffee much more now, but I can't get away with buying the cheapest stuff anymore.

My wife is fighting dropping her creamer, but she's having some success with a couple of drops of peppermint extract and skim milk.
  • melodyjstray
    melodyjstray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks SO much for all the great suggestions!!