negative net calories? what does that mean?

Options
what does it mean when my "net calories" is -671?

goal Food Exercise = Net
1200 1200 - 1871 -671

please help.

Thanks!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you exercise more than you eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It means you're not eating enough, exercising too much and not providing your body with the nutrients it needs. Not a sane/healthy way to go about weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it means you need to eat more!
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Indeed, means that you are exercising more than you are eating. You need to eat more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories back. Not only is it healthier but calories you have earned through exercise always taste better! :happy:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It means you counted more exercise calories than the food you ate.

Two things to look at here. First off is 1200 calories a reasonable budget for you and are you actually doing 1800 calories of exercise in a day? 1200 is the lowest budget that MFP will give you some I'm guessing you've chosen the 2 lb/week option when you only have a small amount to lose. Choosing 1 or .5 would probably give you a more realistic number.

Second, where are you getting your exercise calories burned from and what are you counting as exercise? 1800 is a lot of calories to exercise off if you did anything other than run all day.
  • I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week. I'm counting the exercise calories from using the Arc Trainer machine. I used the machine for about 2.5 hours a day and then also do my weighted hula hoop for another 30 minutes at home.

when i searched on MFP for estimated calories when using the weighted hula hoop, it gave me an estimated calories of 200.

So maybe I'm over estimating that value? I also started doing machine weights for strength at least 30-40 minutes.

I'm 5' and 135 lbs and my BMI shows i'm overweight.

I want to lose about 20 lbs by February/March.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    How in the heck did you exercise 1871 calories in one day ?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week. I'm counting the exercise calories from using the Arc Trainer machine. I used the machine for about 2.5 hours a day and then also do my weighted hula hoop for another 30 minutes at home.

when i searched on MFP for estimated calories when using the weighted hula hoop, it gave me an estimated calories of 200.

So maybe I'm over estimating that value? I also started doing machine weights for strength at least 30-40 minutes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Oh. You are overdoing on exercise a bit methinks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week. I'm counting the exercise calories from using the Arc Trainer machine. I used the machine for about 2.5 hours a day and then also do my weighted hula hoop for another 30 minutes at home.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

At best you can only aim for 1 lb a week. You are barely overweight. Also, too much exercise + too little calories = substantial muscle loss. And if you want to look tone or fit, then you want more muscle. Set you account to 1 lb per week and eat 50% of your exercise calories. Also, you only need to workout 1 hour a day (6 or less days a week). Exercise is to break down the muscle, rest is to repair the muscle. So if you want to see improvements in strength, then start allowing your body to repair. Additionally, you should not be targeting the same muscles on consecutive days. Doing so will lead to injury. You should be weight training every other day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/