That Tummy Pudge

Options
I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to get ride of that awful extra tummy trouble around the middle. I have had 2 kids but I just don't want like my stomach hanging over my pants anymore; I've tried a variety of things and Its not great I'm looking for a solution almost 5 yrs after I have had my second son. If it wasn't for the extra tummy trouble I'd fit a 24 jeans but due to the extra tummy trouble I am a 26 in jeans and I have to wear a belt. Where is a good place to look some moves up that can really guarantee results or at least tone it up a bit more?

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Planking exercises work well to pull the abdominal wall tighter. You can incorporate a yoga ball into the workout by doing rollouts and pikes. These are hard, but excellent for your core!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ
  • Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Keeping an eye on this thread - no children but I have a tummy that looks as if I do!!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I second the planking suggestion. They are hard but work. I thought I would never have a normal tummy again after having 8 kids but it is finally starting to look good again.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ive been doing the " tummy tuck workout that's part of the brazil butt lift videos and it seems to be making an improvement.

i also have a 5 y/o and a 9m/o both by c-sec. so needless to say it wasn't pretty when i started lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I also have it! I have a 3.5 year old and an 18 month old. It's gone down a lot but I don't like it! I do lots of abs work, i;m just hoping it will pay off soon!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump (no pun intended)
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I remembered something I read about women and tummy fat. White, processed flours stick in the stomach area. Try switching to whole grains, brown rice, and quinoa.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i would like to know too, but everyone says you cant spot
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to get ride of that awful extra tummy trouble around the middle. I have had 2 kids but I just don't want like my stomach hanging over my pants anymore; I've tried a variety of things and Its not great I'm looking for a solution almost 5 yrs after I have had my second son. If it wasn't for the extra tummy trouble I'd fit a 24 jeans but due to the extra tummy trouble I am a 26 in jeans and I have to wear a belt. Where is a good place to look some moves up that can really guarantee results or at least tone it up a bit more?

I really hope you don`t seem this answer being rude as rude or nasty in anyway, it certainly is not intended as such.

But until you lose some weight then all the exercises in the world are not going to help with the tummy stuff!

You really need to focus on losing some weight and combine it with some all over exercises.

You can not spot reduce a `fat` area

Go with the whole MFP thing cals in cals out and throw in some exercise it does work hun xx
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I promise you, the tummy bulge thing can be improved as you strengthen your abdominal muscles but of course the thing you really want to do is lose enough weight to change not just your belly but everything around it. I wore a size 22 jeans at one point in my life and after what I went through in the beginning of this year I was back into them. I hated it and I give you a lot of credit for being determined to make change.

I have lost 30 lbs, I am half way to my goal and I've been exercising. My waistline has lost 6" but I can tell you I still hate the tummy bulge. Now it is clearly 2 separate bulges and I'm hating the upper bump more than the lower one. I don't get to decide what decreases first, best or anything else but I am pretty committed to continuing in the path.

I am currently wearing regular size 16 jeans from the Gap and I'm about to go down to 14. I promise you when you get out of plus sizes and into regular sizes you'll be glad for every minute you spent doing planks and not eating sugar and starches. :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Scissor crunches. I have the major gut.. big time. Looks like i was 9 months pregnant.. and my "baby" is 13 years old!! When i go get my pedicure.. the little chinese ladies pat my tummy & smile & hold their arms & say "baby!" and i just smile & nod... *sigh*

Scissor crunches dropped me from a size 20 to a size 14 (of course diet too) in 3 months. Im far from "cut" hahaha.. but i absolutly credit it to a good part of my 47 inch overall body loss!! (17 inches of that around my middle!!)

They say you cant spot lose.. but i wanna know who "they" are. :laugh:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Overall body fat loss will help that tummy shrink. You may be someone who loses fat in that area later in the weight-loss journey. Diet is the key to weight loss. A balance of strength training and cardio for your exercise will help you retain muscle and look good once the excess fat comes off.

It does work. Just need to have patience.:flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I really hope you don`t seem this answer being rude as rude or nasty in anyway, it certainly is not intended as such.

But until you lose some weight then all the exercises in the world are not going to help with the tummy stuff!

You really need to focus on losing some weight and combine it with some all over exercises.

You can not spot reduce a `fat` area

Go with the whole MFP thing cals in cals out and throw in some exercise it does work hun xx

I assumed 24 and 26 referred to waist size in inches, not actual clothes size! Obviously 24 inches is pretty small!

If it refers to clothes size, then yes, clearly weight loss will help!
  • wbrink1
    wbrink1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    please tell of the scissor crunches!!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Overall body fat loss will help that tummy shrink. You may be someone who loses fat in that area later in the weight-loss journey. Diet is the key to weight loss. A balance of strength training and cardio for your exercise will help you retain muscle and look good once the excess fat comes off.

It does work. Just need to have patience.:flowerforyou:

Yes this^ unfortunately it takes longer for some of us...curses!
  • Jrickel81
    Jrickel81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 year old & a 3 year old (c-section) & had a muffin top for a really long time after having my second. All the working out in the world did not help me & I was spending over an hour at the gym about 4-5 days per week. It wasn't until I actually started to eat healthier is when I could put on my jeans without the overlapping. I (and other people noticed also) was able to see shrinkage in my belly and not even working out by doing these few things:

1) increased my water intake from a mere 1 cup a day to 80 ounces per day. I would make myself drink water even if I wasn't thirsty.

2) I decreased the amount of food that I ate during meals. So I only ate until I got full & didn't eat a bite past that. I was notorious for eating EVERYTHING on my plate and going back for more!! I used to eat so much I got a stomach ache after every meal. At night, I made sure to eat very lightly like grilled fish, spinach salad & some fruit or something & drink a large glass of water.

3) I also started to eat a light snack in between meals so that I wasn't breaking the door off of the refrigerator when I got home. I would purposely not bring cash to work & instead pack a small baggy of grapes, yogurt, bananas, oranges, raw brocoli/cauliflower/carrots to work so that I wasn't tempted to get the goodies out of the vending machine.

4) No sodas!!! I would have my cheat days like maybe once every 2 weeks and it would be one soda & I make sure that if I workout extra that day so that it doesn't have a huge effect on me physically. I cannot withhold from having more than one slice of pizza. So I try to steer clear of stuff that I know good and well I will tear apart if I tasted it!! I

The first week I was seriously having "sweet" cravings but would eat yogurt & fruit to try to satisfy it and it HELPED A LOT!! I didn't starve myself but I didn't overindulge like I used to (which causes your belly to stretch from the inside). I was able to lower my calorie intake but found things low in calories that tasted good to me so that I could still feel full enough. After a week of doing this it became easier to eat better so I kept it up & I lost 14 pounds in a month & a half. My body also felt really good after eating like that in just the first week. Then I began to focus on working out to help burn the rest of the fat around my belly!! Hope this helps!!
  • Jrickel81
    Jrickel81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Scissor crunches. I have the major gut.. big time. Looks like i was 9 months pregnant.. and my "baby" is 13 years old!! When i go get my pedicure.. the little chinese ladies pat my tummy & smile & hold their arms & say "baby!" and i just smile & nod... *sigh*

Scissor crunches dropped me from a size 20 to a size 14 (of course diet too) in 3 months. Im far from "cut" hahaha.. but i absolutly credit it to a good part of my 47 inch overall body loss!! (17 inches of that around my middle!!)

They say you cant spot lose.. but i wanna know who "they" are. :laugh:

I love scissor crunches!!!!
  • MammaParadise
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all of the help and yes I am very well aware that by losing the wight overall will help tone the tummy as well as exercise but when I started to really gain weight it was right on my middle an back area. I do have a overall plan but I wanted ideas to help tone the muscles in my abdominal area since from my understanding of it when your building muscle you burn fat? Its been awhile since I've read up on things. I am just starting out again so forgive me if I'm wrong.
  • MammaParadise
    Options
    I have a 12 year old & a 3 year old (c-section) & had a muffin top for a really long time after having my second. All the working out in the world did not help me & I was spending over an hour at the gym about 4-5 days per week. It wasn't until I actually started to eat healthier is when I could put on my jeans without the overlapping. I (and other people noticed also) was able to see shrinkage in my belly and not even working out by doing these few things:

1) increased my water intake from a mere 1 cup a day to 80 ounces per day. I would make myself drink water even if I wasn't thirsty.

2) I decreased the amount of food that I ate during meals. So I only ate until I got full & didn't eat a bite past that. I was notorious for eating EVERYTHING on my plate and going back for more!! I used to eat so much I got a stomach ache after every meal. At night, I made sure to eat very lightly like grilled fish, spinach salad & some fruit or something & drink a large glass of water.

3) I also started to eat a light snack in between meals so that I wasn't breaking the door off of the refrigerator when I got home. I would purposely not bring cash to work & instead pack a small baggy of grapes, yogurt, bananas, oranges, raw brocoli/cauliflower/carrots to work so that I wasn't tempted to get the goodies out of the vending machine.

4) No sodas!!! I would have my cheat days like maybe once every 2 weeks and it would be one soda & I make sure that if I workout extra that day so that it doesn't have a huge effect on me physically. I cannot withhold from having more than one slice of pizza. So I try to steer clear of stuff that I know good and well I will tear apart if I tasted it!! I

The first week I was seriously having "sweet" cravings but would eat yogurt & fruit to try to satisfy it and it HELPED A LOT!! I didn't starve myself but I didn't overindulge like I used to (which causes your belly to stretch from the inside). I was able to lower my calorie intake but found things low in calories that tasted good to me so that I could still feel full enough. After a week of doing this it became easier to eat better so I kept it up & I lost 14 pounds in a month & a half. My body also felt really good after eating like that in just the first week. Then I began to focus on working out to help burn the rest of the fat around my belly!! Hope this helps!!

You sound like me down to a T. I've tried this eating healthier foods but I have those sweet cravings in the first week and they are a pain.