Sodium and sugar.....not my friend!

Options
I'm doing really well with staying under my calories, fat and carbs, but I always seem to go over on my sodium and sugar. I don't have high blood pressure or any other health issues. Is it ok if I go over or should I always stay under?

Thanks for the help,
Jamie :smile:

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't all that big of a deal--It will make you retain water and bloat if you eat way too much in a day, but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're going WAY over like every single day.

With sugar, it may depend on where the sugar is coming from. If i's from cookies and chocolate, you might have a problem. If its mostly from fresh fruits, you're probably ok.
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i used to be a salt fanatic, i stopped adding extra and starting buying low sodium everything i can. I dont bloat and when Aunt Flow comes im not as fat and gross feeling. it worked for me cutting out sodium, didnt do much for weight but i pee alot more and just feel better. as for sugar, i ignore it. all my sugar comes from fruit and greek yogurt, its refined and added white sugar that you have to watch. good luck
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to restrict either of those, I wouldn't worry about them at all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to restrict either of those, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Yep.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you cook meals from scratch you control the amount of sodium in your diet. If you purchase a lot of ready made or processed foods you may well find there is a lot of added salt or sugar. You don't need to already be suffering with hypertension for it to be unhealthy for you and your family.
  • cindymedlen
    Options
    I find that sea salt is healthier,but its stronger,so use less :)