Cheat meals do or don't ?!!

Options
Since I started my weigh loss journey, I've been avoiding social events as much as I can. Tonight a colleague invited me to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner and I really want to go, should I just go for a cheat meal?!!

Replies

• Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd be afraid that it becomes a habit...you're cheating no one but yourself. There's always a healthy option at any restaurant.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You don't have to look at it as a "cheat meal". Stay within your calorie limits and you can eat any type of food you want.

I don't know what your limit per day is, but you can get a nice bowl of pasta with sauce, a small chunk of Italian bread and a glass of wine for around 800 calories.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Go, dammit! Don't be afraid. What is life if you can't enjoy yourself?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

Cheating is okay once a week, it is a good idea actually to have a day where you go slightly over maintenance even.

But cheating where you completely blow it is a bad idea. Basically, if you normally have a 500 calorie defici, you can safely eat 600 calories more during your cheat day (100 calorie surplus).

This WILL slow down weight loss, but it tends to help re-assure the body that the downward trend is not ultimately going to lead to terrible things.

It also helps with sanity.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Cheating is okay once a week, it is a good idea actually to have a day where you go slightly over maintenance even.

it tends to help re-assure the body that the downward trend is not ultimately going to lead to terrible things.

Please explain
  • Majda_
    Majda_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. That was very helpful. I will allow myself more calories today but with a workout for sure. I hope it will boost my metabolism :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, cheat.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal a month. Works for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why can't you balance that meal with your other meals today so it fits into your macros/cals? Then you can enjoy the food AND not cheat?
  • lanapoo
    Options
    Have a salad. You're allowed to go out as long as you find healthy alternatives or balance out your calories for the day.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once per week. :) It's needed, especially if you're on a very strict eating plan. It not only keeps your metabolism going, but it also makes it so you don't cheat as often per the week. (You start looking forward to those cheat meals!)
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Why can't you balance that meal with your other meals today so it fits into your macros/cals? Then you can enjoy the food AND not cheat?

^^^THIS^^^
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You don't have to look at it as a "cheat meal". Stay within your calorie limits and you can eat any type of food you want.

I don't know what your limit per day is, but you can get a nice bowl of pasta with sauce, a small chunk of Italian bread and a glass of wine for around 800 calories.

Totally agree with this. I don't even use the word "cheat". If I want it, I eat it but make sure it is counted. Most restaurants will accommodate your special requests. If you stick with marinara and angel hair pasta you should be fine. You could even get them to grill you a piece of chicken. Also remember, if is looks like more than you should eat, it probably is...so box it up and eat the rest the next day for lunch or dinner.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once per week. :) It's needed, especially if you're on a very strict eating plan. It not only keeps your metabolism going, but it also makes it so you don't cheat as often per the week. (You start looking forward to those cheat meals!)

I highly doubt eating above maintenance once per week changes your metabolism
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet it is a lifestyle therefore, there are no cheat days!

Your calories do not go away at the end of the day. I track my foods based on a one week period...Sunday - Saturday.

So I have 11200 for the entire week or 1600 per day.

So on Sunday I work out and add 800 calories to my weekly total for 12000 and my daily total 2400....I eat 1400 calories for the day...I'm left with 10600 for the week or 1766...per day for the rest of the week.

On Monday I decide not to work out and I eat 1900 calories for the day...I still have 8700 for the week...even though I overeat by 134 calories for the day. And my daily total is now estimated at 1740 a day left.

Being a lifestyle you learn to make modifications while staying within your limits...your limits can be based on daily/weekly/monthly/yearly...it's your choice!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    When I eat out, I look at menu options ahead of time if possible and try to find something lower calorie that looks good. (Many restaurants highlight lighter foods.) I also eat only half of the plate and take the other half home for the next day. I try to avoid bread, but sometimes I can't resist. (I don't let that get me down either.)

At my favorite Italian place, Minestrone soup is usually lower calorie and pretty filling, especially with a nice salad. Any dishes that aren't loaded with heavy cream and extra cheese are good.

Enjoy your time out with your friend!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    If you were an Alcoholic, would cheat drinks be ok?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can find something at an Italian restaurant that isn't too bad. Some fish maybe? Or chicken and veg. Don't have anything too cheesey! I'm not a big fan of pasta so i usually have a salad when i go to an Italian, or some soup.

I eat out for lunch sometimes and always find something healthy. I'm scared to have a cheat meal, although I'm sure once in a while won't do any harm.
  • PamFitnessJourney
    Options
    You only live once. I don't know anyone who became overweight by indulging once in a very blue moon! Enjoy yourself. You may even shock yourself and just go with the lighter/healther options and enjoy it!!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet, so I don't have to "cheat". Go-have fun-you can't plan to never go out to eat again for the rest of your existence. Make the best choices you can, and balance it out over the rest of the week if you need to. Enjoy your life and the people in it.