Steak Tips.

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Alright. So for dinner tonight my boyfriend is making steak tips. First off, are they even healthy and good for you? Does anyone know the best way to cook them and what to put on them? I do know that he is grilling them. But he makes this..glaze I guess that is low sodium teryaki sauce, garlic, and I;m not sure what else but HE says that it's not bad for you. I was just wondering if there are any other MEAT lovers out there and how you guys cook and eat your red meat. ALSO what do you have for sides with the steak?

Replies

• KateDonnelly
    Options
    Eating red meat once a week is not bad for you. Eat the leanest cut you can and aim to keep your portion size within an ounce or so. We eat ours with a fresh salad but any veggie is a good side. Asparagus is also most delicious with beef.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We had steak last night =:) My fiance usually puts italian seasoning, barbecue sauce (bad for diets..) and chardonnay dip mix. It's sooooo good.
    The only thing with your bf's way of doing it that I'd look into is the sauce.. how many calories are in the sauce? Otherwise it sounds decent.
    For a side, a small baked potato and a veggie is good. Or, white rice.
  • a978736
    a978736 Posts: 6
    Options
    MICROWAVED BAKED SWEET POTATO WITH CINNIMON AND HOMEMADE BLACK BEANS THAT WAY YOU CAN HOLD DOWN THE SODIUM THAT PROCESSED CANNED BEANS HAVE THEY TAKE A WHILE TO FIX SOAK FOR A COUPLE HOURS THEN SIMMER FOR ANOTHER HOUR ADD LOTS OF SEASONING ( ONION GARLIC PEPPER ITALIAN ETC)
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    For side I LOVE cucumber salad, here is the recipe I use, no fattening sourcream or mayo, but has sugar.

4 cucumbers, thinly sliced
    1 small white onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon dried dill, or to taste

Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions. Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 99

Total Fat: 0.2g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 4mg
    Total Carbs: 24.9g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 1.1g
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I do steak, I usually make a starch - pasta or rice - since my bf won't eat veggies and then I make a green vegetable for myself. :)
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For side I LOVE cucumber salad, here is the recipe I use, no fattening sourcream or mayo, but has sugar.

4 cucumbers, thinly sliced
    1 small white onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon dried dill, or to taste

Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions. Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 99

Total Fat: 0.2g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 4mg
    Total Carbs: 24.9g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 1.1g

Wow- that sounds yummy! I think I will give it a try! Thanks!