Low Carb Low Energy?

Options
SubtleSweet
SubtleSweet Posts: 6 Member
I did low carb for about 6 week and was really really enjoying it. Eggs, bacon, cheese, yum! No calorie counting, and lots of meat and cheese. It was divine. I was rarely hungry because my blood sugar levels were so stable and I lost 13 lbs very quickly. The "induction" phase was even a pleasure. No starving feelings or anything! However, my energy levels were so low I felt like I was in a fog all day. At 3 I was absolutely ready to pass out, I was tired when I got home from work and even when I woke up in the mornings. I was getting about 20-30 net carbs a day. Has anyone else experienced this?

I fell off the low carb band wagon and am afraid of getting back on because of the low energy. Still throwing the idea around, but I guess I'm counting calories in the mean time. Suggestions?

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    When you eat carbs, are they good carbs or bad carbs?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    im the complete opposite on lowcarb. i get amazing energy that lasts all day, great workout endurance, and i can finally sleep the whole night. it must be different for each person, but im also insulin resistant, which is the only reason im doing a lowcarb lifestyle. good luck!
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    im the complete opposite on lowcarb. i get amazing energy that lasts all day, great workout endurance, and i can finally sleep the whole night. it must be different for each person, but im also insulin resistant, which is the only reason im doing a lowcarb lifestyle. good luck!

Same here and starting to learn this from symptoms of feeling like I am going into a coma after consuming a large quantity of carbs.

To the OP - you might consider the spacing of your meals. Or adding a low glyc fruit to your diet but in the AM or lunch. Adding more veggies can never hurt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but unless you have an underlying medical condition, I wouldn't do low carb/no carb. Yes, you do see results quickly, but these types of diets don't teach you how to fuel your body appropriately. Diets that eliminate particular macros are also eliminating necessary nutrition. Diet is more than being at a healthy weight...diet is nutrition and diet is lifestyle. You have to have a properly balanced diet to take advantage of the nutrition and be healthy.

I can only tell you what is working for me...I watch my calories and maintain roughly a 500 calorie deficit from my estimated TDEE and I manage my macros; I have mine set at 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein and it's working wonders. Plenty of energy and I'm losing weight at about a 1.3 Lb per week clip. Logging my intake has also helped me to make better eating decisions than I used to. Most of my carbs come from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains...fats from nuts, olive oil/canola oil, avocados, and lean meats (though I do steak it up once a week), and protein from lean sources like chicken, turkey, fish, legumes, etc. Simple sugars and carbohydrates, while not 100% eliminated, make up a very, very small part of my diet.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When you eat carbs, are they good carbs or bad carbs?
    Are we talking sitting-in-a-swivel-chair-holding-a-fluffy-white-cat bad?
  • SubtleSweet
    SubtleSweet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Typically, it was vegetables. I ate very little fruit. It was also dressings like ranch.