The Golden Rule - How to lose fat

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    - 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
    Come again?

Basically that is a good way to start, you can get more exact but its not needed for beginners(in my opinion).

Most people will never hit the protein they need each day unless they go out of there way do to so with shakes, bars, and careful meal planning.

So you mean:

Eat 1-1.25g of protein per pound of body weight.

Makes much more sense when you add that noun. I have a hard enough time getting 70g, let alone the 226g you say I should eat. I'll stick with 1g/pound of lean muscle.

Yes, lean body mass, not total weight. If obese people went by total weight, then protein would be all they could fit in their calories!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is a major, life-changing endeavor for many people. The choices and degree of seriousness devoted to this intervention can be akin to buying a home. Yet some people take it quite casually and often do not properly educate themselves on key topics that would improve their understanding of fat loss and look for the quickest method possible.

If you are going to buy a home, one should appraise it to see how much it is really worth. Likewise, one should find out what their actual TDEE is by eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain weight relative to present activity rather than using prediction equations. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what their actual TDEE is. Since successful fat loss strongly depends on accuracy in reporting calories eaten vs energy expenditure, not knowing your baseline calories is leaving significant room for error.

While taking a few months to eat up to maintenance and holding it, take the time to peruse through scholarly journals that discuss the endocrine system's role in one's metabolism, energy balance equation, macro-nutrients, and contribution to fat loss from exercise. You'll have far greater success at losing fat and keeping it off the more prepared you are prior to beginning a fat loss intervention.

So how often is one supposed to do this in their weight loss journey since our energy expenditures are gonna be different with every pound lost? Then one would have to stop every month and do months of maintenance to figure out what their new TDEE is, right?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You need to add, High rep training doesn't increase caloric burn. If you're weight training to burn calories, then you're misinformed. <- Don't add that part.

I'd be keen to hear an explaination on how this comment can be true?
    [/quote]
    The goal of weight training to stimulate muscle growth (calorie surplus) and preserve muscle mass (deficit). If you are doing high reps/low weights, doing supersets to "speed up" the metabolism. You're doing it wrong.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is a major, life-changing endeavor for many people. The choices and degree of seriousness devoted to this intervention can be akin to buying a home. Yet some people take it quite casually and often do not properly educate themselves on key topics that would improve their understanding of fat loss and look for the quickest method possible.

If you are going to buy a home, one should appraise it to see how much it is really worth. Likewise, one should find out what their actual TDEE is by eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain weight relative to present activity rather than using prediction equations. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what their actual TDEE is. Since successful fat loss strongly depends on accuracy in reporting calories eaten vs energy expenditure, not knowing your baseline calories is leaving significant room for error.

While taking a few months to eat up to maintenance and holding it, take the time to peruse through scholarly journals that discuss the endocrine system's role in one's metabolism, energy balance equation, macro-nutrients, and contribution to fat loss from exercise. You'll have far greater success at losing fat and keeping it off the more prepared you are prior to beginning a fat loss intervention.

So how often is one supposed to do this in their weight loss journey since our energy expenditures are gonna be different with every pound lost? Then one would have to stop every month and do months of maintenance to figure out what their new TDEE is, right?
    The short answer would be yes. You only make adjustments when your weight loss has stalled for more than a week. That is for when you're losing weight or gaining.

The problem is people make drastic changes (low carbs, very low calories), they see great progress in then beginning. The mirror is looking great, they're filling good. So, they want faster results, more cardio, more calorie reductions. All of a sudden, they crash and weight starts to pile back on. As the inches up, they get even more desperate.

That is a tale you see a lot. It took years to get to your current state, it's going to take awhile (if done correctly) to get to where you want to be. It took me 5 years to build my current body and I am just getting started.

"Dieting" should be easy.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey - It - the remodeling is working for me, with a little higher-power help. Thanks!
  • melmckay99
    Options
    It's not rocket science....regular exercise, healthy eating and moderation = weight loss...go figure eh.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    These days I find myself actually working out calories from stuff like onions, peas and carrots and limiting them compared to the lower calorie leek,lettuce etc.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I always use the search button.
    It’s motivating and refreshing for me to review and reread posts on general diet and weight loss tips.:wink:
  • numacuser
    Options
    Thanks,
    I know that I need to burn more calories then I eat..It's getting harder as I age though. I am 56 and have arthritis in my knees and ankles. I need to continue to be mobile but it hurts. I need to loose 50 lbs. Today was my first day using this website. I obviously messed up..I was suppose to stay within 1500 cal but ate 3 cookies tonight and messed up...I am so frustrated. I would appreciate any advice you may have for me. Thanks
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    I do have a question. If my TDEE is "estimated" to be 1778, what would be a healthy number of calories for me to aim for to lose fat? It being finals time at college the only workout I am doing is the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels in the morning due to it being a "quick" workout. Sorry if this isn't where to post this.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I t hunk you miss the point -- of course it is calories in vs calories out. The more difficult question is how to stick to the food plan as the women who ate the cookies illustrates. For me, I need to eat my planned calories in a way that dampens my craving for food. I think there is a lot of individuality in what sets off cravings. For me I eat 5 times a day with adequate lean protein and moderate carbs mostly from fruits and veggies at about 1500 cals a day depending on my exercise burn. For me always easier not to eat cookies than to try and eat only a few. How to stick to the calorie food plan is the hard question. It isn't willpower. Many fat people have plenty of willpower in other areas of life. Just not around food. Exercise really helps reduce craving food for me too.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I do have a question. If my TDEE is "estimated" to be 1778, what would be a healthy number of calories for me to aim for to lose fat? It being finals time at college the only workout I am doing is the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels in the morning due to it being a "quick" workout. Sorry if this isn't where to post this.

a good rule of thumb is 15-20% deficit from your TDEE

so I would start at 1400 (that is assuming your TDEE is accurate) but 1400 is a safe amount
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the golden rule to lose WEIGHT? Wheres the info on preserving lean mass to lose fat while minimizing muscle loss?

I don't know... I followed your golden rule and lost WEIGHT and still looked fat and flabby when I was done. ;_;

It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle. Period.

You lose. Back of the line with ya.

Sugest you read Alan Aragon and "culking"...
  • sarahxx68
    Options

a good rule of thumb is 15-20% deficit from your TDEE

so I would start at 1400 (that is assuming your TDEE is accurate) but 1400 is a safe amount

Thank you!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    people tend to make nuclear science out of weight loss, especially on mfp forum
  • smbrouwer
    Options
    Last I checked a calorie is a calorie.. doesnt matter where it comes from its still there.. still going to add to your weight.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    That's what I love about this, the engineer in me...its simple physics and math and I get to make data and use stats !!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This was 6 months ago. I understand that perfectly but your post says how to lose FAT. What I'm saying is you neither addressed adequate protein intake nor the importance of strength training while in a caloric deficit to minimize muscle loss.

Therefore should this be the golden rule- how to lose WEIGHT

Thanks for the critical analysis of my post that is intended for beginners.. not advanced members such ar yourself..

Yeah, I understood the point to be to keep it simple for beginners. When you are first starting, finding your deficit and being able to stick to it is truly the Golden Rule. And you *will* lose mostly fat, even if you lose some LBM. Unless you have a HUGE deficit, LBM loss is not that much.
  • freshoffthepct
    freshoffthepct Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent entertainment. Thanks for the insomia break. Speaking of insomnia, anyone ever heard of insomnia being linked to calorie deficit? Seems like the only times it really strikes me is when I've been really "good" with my diet...
  • faupster
    faupster Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the golden rule to lose WEIGHT? Wheres the info on preserving lean mass to lose fat while minimizing muscle loss?

I don't know... I followed your golden rule and lost WEIGHT and still looked fat and flabby when I was done. ;_;

It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle. Period.

You lose. Back of the line with ya.

Sugest you read Alan Aragon and "culking"...

I lose?

It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle.
    ----> Correction --->
    It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle EFFECTIVELY.

Pick one and see results, try to juggle both and it will not be very effective.

Now you can go to the end of the line.