Three C's

Options
Curse the 3 C's - Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ordinarily, I'm not a big cookie person, but when standing in the kitchen making 4 dozen cookies from scratch, it becomes difficult to resist. The aroma fills not only the kitchen but the whole house. As each tray comes out of the oven, all hot and gooey - who can resist? Not me :( - Then as they cool, i look over at the counter and DROOL. ok, 1 more I say. Ah, but they are like magnets pulling me in and after all is said and done, 5 of them made their last journey down the gullet - HELP - I believe I need therapy!!!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a sugar addiction, seek rehab
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Curse the 3 C's - Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ordinarily, I'm not a big cookie person, but when standing in the kitchen making 4 dozen cookies from scratch, it becomes difficult to resist. The aroma fills not only the kitchen but the whole house. As each tray comes out of the oven, all hot and gooey - who can resist? Not me :( - Then as they cool, i look over at the counter and DROOL. ok, 1 more I say. Ah, but they are like magnets pulling me in and after all is said and done, 5 of them made their last journey down the gullet - HELP - I believe I need therapy!!!

I think it's a natural reaction to the smell. I went to my sister's place for our annual Christmas shopping trip. My mom cooked chocolate chip cookies. I don't like chocolate chip cookies. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and normally have no problem avoiding things like cookies, cake, etc. Nevertheless, upon entering the house and smelling those cookies, I wanted them. Avoidance is key. I'm not sure how to help you. Except to say, run, run away from the cookies.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My name is Dave, and I am also a cookie addict.

But for the OP, I gotta ask. How do you find yourself in the kitchen baking 4 dozen cookies from scratch? Methinks I have found the source of the problem
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What I have started doing is make up all the dough, then bake only enough for everyone in the family to eat a few, then wrap up the dough tightly and hide it in the fridge for another day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The raw dough is better than the cookies. You're not helping
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

LOL! I don't like the dough, but my husband does. That's why I hide it.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Rub some Vick's under your nose. You won't smell them so you won't want to eat them.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Rub some Vick's under your nose. You won't smell them so you won't want to eat them.
    ^ great idea!!!! that i will take to my grave!!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I find myself in this situation I make sure to brush my teeth before I start, then use a fluoride mouthwash because you can't eat for 30 minutes after that. When that time expires I move to mint gum... Something about your mouth tasting like toothpaste makes you not want to eat.
    On some occasions I've even bleached my teeth while making cookies because it's impossible to eat with those trays in for an hour!

And if I really really want one, I wait until they are all done and put away and the kitchen is clean... and leave ONE out for myself.

Then brush my teeth again. Haha

Yes.. I have to trick myself into not eating cookies...
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options

lol exctaclly what i was thinking. next time you need 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies ( drool ) go to a bakery and buy them, then you at least wont have to smell them baking.

dammit i want cookies :tongue:
  • spencer7593
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

Everyone has at least one. Everyone has at least one "trigger" food, that makes the neurons in your brain fire off making you desire not just a taste, but for more and more. For some people, it's warm freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. For some, it's raw cookie dough, or ice cream or whatever.

The only reasonable "rehab" or "fix" for the problem is to ENTIRELY REMOVE the trigger foods from your environment. Don't make chocolate chip cookies. Your family will need to find it's "fix" for them somewhere OTHER than your house.

And it's not an issue of "willpower". Your brain is perfectly reasonable... evaluating... on the one hand, there's a biological drive that identifies the chocolate chip cookie as satisfyingly delicious. Your brain sees it as a convenient source of energy; energy that your body can use. On the other hand, your brain is also thinking, eating those cookies is going to have an influence on your waist size.

For me, when it comes down to a battle between hormones (ghrelin telling my brain that i'm hungry and need to eat), and willpower (my brain telling me to ignore the messages of my hormones), the hormones are going to win out most of the time.

I believe that when I just see a picture of one of my trigger foods, just seeing a picture sends my leptin level down and my ghrelin level up.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I will admit to eating one (OK, 2!) cookie when I made some for my kids the other night. The kids ate the rest before I had a chance to get any more! So, my advice would be to have a bunch of kids around when you make them! :happy:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love baking with my kids. Chocolate chip cookies are their favorite and we just made a batch last week.
    Of course, I indulged....I tried my best to make sure they fit into my calories and macros and enjoyed! We don't make them often, and luckily...there is 5 of us in the house, so a batch doesn't last long ;)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do mass quantities of cookies and candies for Holiday gifts. I'm dreading it this year, because it will be so difficult for me not indulge. At least I know what's in them and can get a fairly accurate calorie count, that will help. I'll be relying heavily on my HRM to tell me how many rum balls I can eat!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    How do you guys eat raw dough and not get sick from it? :laugh:

That is so gross!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

And it's not an issue of "willpower". Your brain is perfectly reasonable... evaluating... on the one hand, there's a biological drive that identifies the chocolate chip cookie as satisfyingly delicious. Your brain sees it as a convenient source of energy; energy that your body can use. On the other hand, your brain is also thinking, eating those cookies is going to have an influence on your waist size.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I believe this. I think our brains are pretty powerful. (at least mine seems to be)
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat them, don't make them :p
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I believe this. I think our brains are pretty powerful. (at least mine seems to be)

Can you cite your sources?