Low goal weight

Options
According to this calculator: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ my body fat is 24.2%. This seems accurate for what my body looks like. My measurements are:

Weight: 106.2 pounds
Wrist: 6 inches
Waist: 26.75 inches (at naval)
Hip: 31 inches
Forearm: 8.75 inches

and I'm 18.

According to this if I want a body fat of 18-20% I'd have to weight between 98-100 lbs, which seems pretty low. I understand that these calculators aren't completely accurate, but from looking at pictures of people with similar body fat I would say I am about what is estimates.

My question is, does 98-100 lbs seem like a healthy goal? I am 5'4".

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Don't trust those calculators. 98 pounds at 5'4" is low. Instead of thinking weight loss, think muscle gain. Strength training will get your body fat percentage down, if it is even that high. I'm sorry, but those calculators can't read your body composition very well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even if the calculation is true, it would be very difficult to cut that low. You would probably be better off adding 10-20 lbs of muscle (like the two links below). This will allow your body to fill in more to give you the definition you probably want. Keep in mind that weighing less =/= a leaner and tighter body. Sometimes, gaining weight will improve your look and improve strength and athletic performance.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    98 does seem low. Go for muscle gain instead. Most of the time, when we are of low weights already and still think we could lose a few pounds, it is actually do to having too little muscle mass.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    Whoa, that's way too low! I've heard a good guideline (not gospel, mind you) is that at 5' tall you should be around 100 lbs, and for every inch past that you add 5 lbs. So for you, it'd be about 120. Now of course, weight doesn't reflect body fat percentage, so there's always that to take into account.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight is that it's a blackbox kind of measurement - your 106 lbs includes your skeleton, muscle, fat and fluids, but it doesn't tell you what their proportions are. Given your height, 106 does seem on the low side of healthy even for 18. If its looks that you're aiming for, you need to get into a gym and start lifting, making sure that you're getting sufficient nutrition (enough calories and well balanced macros) to support building healthy muscle. At 18, you've still got some ongoing physiologial development happening, so you don't want to deprive your body of what it needs to build a good foundation.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 106lbs you're already very thin. Why would you want to loose weight and look like a skeleton? Forget about all the charts and calulators and look at yourself. If at your height and weight you think you are overweight then you need to talk to someone about image issues because you have something much more serious going on. Or perhaps If you think you are fat, then it's the situation of being "skinny fat". As others have commented maybe you need to get your body's fat % down and begin to tone up with weights, but you do not need to loose weight.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Ummm. I think you input something incorrectly when I input your measurements into the calculator I use it says your BF% is 16.5%
    Here is the calculator I use:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

ETA: The calculator you are using does not ask for heigth wich is an important factor in BF% IMHO!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Whoa, that's way too low! I've heard a good guideline (not gospel, mind you) is that at 5' tall you should be around 100 lbs, and for every inch past that you add 5 lbs. So for you, it'd be about 120. Now of course, weight doesn't reflect body fat percentage, so there's always that to take into account.
    I think that depends on your body as well though, because I'm 5'2" and at 118 lbs I was way TOO skinny, so 110 would be ridiculous for me. I look best between 120 and 135 lbs.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    dont focus on the number go for the look you want!