Fitbit?

Options
I am looking in to getting the Fitbit for myself for Christmas.. Is it worth it to get the Ultra? The sleep alarm part intrigues me the most! I was wondering if anyone here uses it, and is it worth the money?I tried looking through the forums here but all I could find was a thread on troubleshooting the synching part. Thanks :)

Replies

• tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There is a fitbit group on this site, and also, fitbit's website has a community forum that might give you some helpful info. I have the fitbit ultra (bought it before the new one came out) and I love it, but have never used the sleep feature. It's not a sleep alarm, but it keeps track of how often you "wake" based on your movements. If you're a restless sleeper it may not be too accurate. But I do recommend the fitbit overall; it's an easy method of making sure you're always in a deficit and it also helps you meet your fitness goals (in terms of calories burned daily). Not great at counting non-walking (or non-running/jogging) activities, but you can always add those manually if you choose to.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I also have the Ultra so it doesn't have the alarm but it tracks sleep. I find it really interesting. The fitbit overall is very motivating to me. When my steps are low it pushes me to get off my booty and get moving.

As far as the syncing issues I have almost no problem with that - it is rare but occasionally it won't sync for an hour or so but nothing major.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and love it! It really helps to motivate me to burn more and eat better throughout the day. I say go for it! So worth it!
  • star_slit
    Options
    I like having my fitbit; but I think it's a bit overpriced. If they included membership with it, it would be more worth it but they charge $50 a YEAR on top of the 100$ it costs to get the gadget...awesome workout tool, but it's more of a SPLURGE if you have $100 to waste to me than a MUST-HAVE fitness tool.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One for a couple of weeks now and I love it! As a matter of fact it's making me feel guilty as I sit here working on homework instead of getting up and going out for a walk. :)
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like my ultra as it really helps me keep track of the effort and exercise I get through my normal day. it usually adds and extra two to three hundred calories to my total allowance. I bought one for my wife and she really likes being able to track her sleep. Sjhe can see how often she gets up in the night and how much sleep she is actually getting per night
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have the new one (and had both the last two previous versions) and really love it. Lots of data, motivating etc.

Dont be scared off by the "membership" fee - the website is actually completely free. If you want to pay the $50 year extra, you get "premium" features - more graphs and reports. The only reason I pay for it is the ability to export my data to excel. If you do buy the fitbit, dont bother considering buying the premium until you have had it a few months and see what you already get. Chances are good you wont need the premium. If you want to do the free trial, its best to wait a few months anyway as you only get a week and there wont be anything for it to make the pretty graphs with until you have a few months data to present.

I do use the sleep features including the alarm (it vibrates). It has a normal and senstive mode. Tells you how often you wake, how long to fall asleep etc. It also depends on where you wear it (they say to put it in the wrist strap on your non-dominant hand). A lot of times I forget and leave it clipped to my waist. It does make some difference, but nothing drastic.

Overall very fun gadget if you like seeing all the data or getting immediate feedback throughout the day (I check my steps a lot throughout the day).

The newest one (the "one" not the "ultra") also has bluetooth syncing so it can sync through your phone. I havent tried that yet.
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost a year now and love it! The sleep tracking portion is really neat. I also argee with the other posts, when your step count is low it makes you want to get up and get moving. I've been using the timer on it when I do hikes on the weekends. This has helped me improve my timing on my hikes and really get a good estimate on what I'm burning when I complete them.
  • elyseology
    elyseology Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I purchased my Fitbit Zip about a week ago. In my opinion, I love my Zip and I'm glad I chose this option over the more expensive Fitbit One. I did my research, like you are, and found that the sleep feature was "neat" and "interesting to see" and not at all helpful to my overall fitness goal, so I came to the conclusion that feature would not be of much of a help to me seeing as I already have a sleep cycle alarm app on my phone. The Fitbit One does have a stair climbing feature. If stair climbing or walking to high elevations is something you do often, then it would definitely benefit you to purchase the Fitbit One.

The Zip has been an awesome addition to my life. It very motivating to want to get my steps in. It syncs to MFP and I don't have to bother with adding exercise to my food diary. It automatically adjusts my calories based on my fitness activity for the day. It's very cool!

I hope I have been some help with your decision on which Fitbit is best for you!!

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend! :glasses:
  • HollyGettingFit
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for all the help! I think I am leaning towards the One :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and have had it for about a month. I don't LOVE it, I think I could live life without it but it is interesting to see how many calories I burn on days I don't go to the gym just by daily activity and it has made me get up and move around more or take the stairs instead of the elevator.