How do I change the number of daily calories?

Options
I need to eat more calories than what is being suggested on my food journal. How do I change the daily number of calories from 1600 to 2200? Thank you.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Click My Home / Goals / Change Goals / Custom
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity. How did you arrive at the conclusion that you need 2200 calories instead of 1600? Again, this is just out of curiosity...I am always interested in equations or other calculators people are using. Thanks.
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    Out of curiosity. How did you arrive at the conclusion that you need 2200 calories instead of 1600? Again, this is just out of curiosity...I am always interested in equations or other calculators people are using. Thanks.
    [/quote

This calculation was suggested to me (15Xcurrent body weight). I am going to start training for my first fitness competition.
  • daj150
    Options
    That is very interesting. I did some research and the general idea is that for maintenance weight, meaning not gaining or losing, you can multiply your body weight times 15. However, you should then subtract your fat-loss calories. There is a lot of debate on this method, and many people say the multiplier should be 12, and as usual, most say it depends on the results you are seeing, then adjust from there. MFP uses a multiplier of around 12.5 for maintenance. So, not sure what your goals are, but thought you might like to know this info.
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    That is very interesting. I did some research and the general idea is that for maintenance weight, meaning not gaining or losing, you can multiply your body weight times 15. However, you should then subtract your fat-loss calories. There is a lot of debate on this method, and many people say the multiplier should be 12, and as usual, most say it depends on the results you are seeing, then adjust from there. MFP uses a multiplier of around 12.5 for maintenance. So, not sure what your goals are, but thought you might like to know this info.

Thank you for the info. I need to add more muscle.
  • daj150
    Options
    Just remember eating more calories won't equate to building more muscle. You need to focus on foods that will help, such as protein. My friend eats lots of protein and has about 2 whey shakes a day when exercising (3 scoops each shake) and he bulked up really well (not fat, but muscle).