Is Vita COCO Coconut water good for you?

Options
Hi have had it for couple of days, just wanted to make sure it's healthy as the packing says.

Is any one taking this during their weightloss Journey?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is, does it count as water?
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time following a long run. Ireally couldn't tell that it hydrated me any better than water and a piece of fruit nor did I feel any improvement in recovery.

We won't mention how difficult it was swallowing the plain coconut milk. Pineapple definately tasted better.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is fine for you--it's a great natural replacement for sports drinks because it contains electrolytes. That said, I only drink it if I do a long run (8+ miles), otherwise I just drink plain water. Oh, and I prefer chocolate coconut water.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care how good it is for you.....the coconut water I tried tasted like something monkeys were pissing in out in the jungle somewhere....:sick:
  • MimRob
    MimRob Posts: 24
    Options
    I buy the young coconuts and use the juice out of them. You get more for your money that way. I dilute 250mls in a 600ml bottle with water. I found it awesome for really intensive work outs, just gave me that extra boost. Nutritionally they are supposed to be good too. Just make sure you factor the calories in :)
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care how good it is for you.....the coconut water I tried tasted something monkeys were pissing in out in the jungle somewhere....:sick:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I could never describe how horrible it tasted.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is, does it count as water?

No. It's not pure H20 so it doesn't.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like the pineapple one. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have at least an 8.5 oz cup per day, mainly as a way to get more potassium in my diet as I'm always falling short; it's helping with my high blood pressure, even before I started exercising. I have a couple of servings on run days...natures Gatorade.
  • enigma4u
    Options
    I have at least an 8.5 oz cup per day, mainly as a way to get more potassium in my diet as I'm always falling short; it's helping with my high blood pressure, even before I started exercising. I have a couple of servings on run days...natures Gatorade.

Are you drinking VIta Coco coconut water or different brand?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've never tried that brand, but I *LOVE* coconut water! It does have some nutrients in it, but I just drink it for the flavor.
  • Amberry123
    Amberry123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's better for you then say, gatorade, but it's not great. From the plain to the flavoured they range from 45 - 60 calories, and from
    11g - 16g of sugar per 8 oz. The plain one also says "less then 1% natural fruit sugar", which considering there is 11g of sugar in it make it pretty processed for a natural drink. Also it is fortified with vitamin C, it doesn't come from the fruits naturally.
    Personally I would choose it over a fruit juice but to rehydrate I would drink water and eat a piece of fruit, same calories, natural sugars and natural vitamins/minerals. Plus I know personally I drink more then 8oz of water during/ after a workout, so it's not hard to drink your calories with coconut water.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    The only coconut water I drink is straight from a coconut! I tried that Vita-crap and it tasted like rusty starfish.

No thanks!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care how good it is for you.....the coconut water I tried tasted like something monkeys were pissing in out in the jungle somewhere....:sick:

This ^^^ except I don't think they were pissing to produce it...naughty monkeys were shaking it out another way and then diluting it!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Dont stop believin!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

This ^^^ except I don't think they were pissing to produce it...naughty monkeys were shaking it out another way and then diluting it!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Glad it wasn't just me.... I think the one I tried was called "Phenom" from GNC, and it was phenomenally BAD!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This is the brand I have used:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OM-1004

It's delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Are you drinking VIta Coco coconut water or different brand?

Vita Coco...my doctor is actually the one who mentioned it as a way to up my potassium. He wants idealy to be between 3,500 and 4,000 which is insanely hard to do (I think he's just trying to push me)...I'm usually around 3,200 or so...2,600 or so when I don't do the coconut water. Both of those numbers are still way better than they were before I made my dietary changes.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Dont stop believin!

Be good to yourself!