CANT STOP SNACKING!

Options
My problem is that I cant stop snacking. Im always thinking about something to eat. At my old job it was easy not to snack because we were only allowed to eat on breaks, but my new job I can eat whenever I want. I have gained about 10 lbs in the past 2 or 3 months and Id really like to lose it. But I always go over my daily calories because of snacks. I weigh 150 right now and would like to be 135. My daily calories is supposed to be 1200, but is usually closer to 1600. Any ideas or tips from anyone to help me lose weight and stop snacking so much?

Replies

• Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Find a way to break the habit. Drink something, chew gum, stop procrastinating by snacking :P
    And just don't bring snacks to work.
  • e001w
    e001w Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you tried snacking on healthy things? I like snacking on edamames.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I bring fruit and low calorie snacks. But between breakfast lunch and dinner, plus the few snacks I eat at work I always go over my 1200 calories.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    find healthier snacks- carrots, celery, goldfish crackers, cucumber, fiber one brownies, homemade popcorn, etc
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You should still be able to lose weight eating 1600 calories, 1200 is unreasonably low for many people. You can also add exercise in to earn more calories for eating throughout the day. Also, many people confuse thirst with hunger, so keep a bottle of water and drink, drink drink! The other option is to continue snacking but snack on low calorie, healthy options that are also filling. This means vegetables (carrots and hummus are a staple for me), and high protein foods (cheese, beef jerky, nuts). I snack every 2 hours or so throughout the day, I like munching and not getting to a point of being really hungry.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Or bored? Or just cause you can? Address the root of whatever it is, and then break the habit. I used to snack at work cause people always brought stuff in. Now I just say no. After a few weeks, it feels normal to say no, I'm not even tempted at all anymore.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    How are you GETTING the snacks? If you are buying them and bringing them with you then stop doing that.....
    If you are getting them out of a vending machine then stop carrying singles/change with you to work.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You should probably be eating more food anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get snacks that are low calorie like cut up raw veggies. I snack on carrots all the time, and it barely touches my calorie total.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill alesse?

I've had it whre i was on that pill and i couldnt stop eating...even when i was full to the max i was thinking of my next meal
  • meghart60
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone else who says 1200 is too little. You need about 400-500 calories more to keep your body from thinking it's starving. I eat every 2 hours, per my trainer's instructions. Eat snacks high in protein, not low in fat, because they are usually sugar laden and you will continue to crave more. Try raw almonds, veggies with hummus, edamame, falafel, or just have a whey protein shake with a scoop of whey protein and 6 oz of almond or soy milk. You should be eating continuously throughout the day, but the protein is the key to stop cravings. Good luck!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast and lunch?? Are you eating proteins and complex carbs? I used to be hungry by 11-11:30am even if I had just eaten at 9:30. I eat protein every morning and some type of whole wheat bread/english muffin and I'm not hungry mid morning anymore.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I eat breakfast around 7 am and by 9 am I'm hungry again. Lately Ive been eating special K for breakfast though and that fills me up a bit more.

And for lunch I try to atleast have some meat so I get some protein.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a job where I can snack all the time too. I just make sure the only snacks available are healthy - clementines, apples, string cheese, yogurt, almonds, grapes. And I drink a lot of tea - especially green tea and peppermint tea. The tea keeps me occupied and full so I won't want to snack as much. And 1600 calories isn't unreasonable if you're trying to lose weight. Just make sure you're getting in some exercise. Maybe use half of your lunch break to go for a walk, do yoga in the mornings, take some exercise classes at the gym or do some work out DVDs at home. If you have a Wii or xbox or something, there are work out games for those too.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I eat breakfast around 7 am and by 9 am I'm hungry again. Lately Ive been eating special K for breakfast though and that fills me up a bit more.

And for lunch I try to atleast have some meat so I get some protein.

Cereal isn't very filling, though you could maybe use it as a topping for greek yogurt or something. Heavier protein breakfasts will keep you full for much longer. Try a veggie omelette. Or something with a lot of fiber, like oatmeal.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I think way too many people use having a desk job and freedom for meals as an excuse for not having self-control. If you don't want to snack, don't provide yourself with snacks. It sounds like you aren't working out at all either so... Maybe instead of cutting you should try getting up for half an hour every day and working out? If the 1200 is the MFP number, that is just your BMR and it doesn't account for anything you do during the day. BMR only shows what you burn doing absolutely nothing but basic body functions to stay alive.

Truly being unable to stop snacking, to me, would be someone who has acquired a taste for paper or napkins or something because they can't stop eating.

The best breakfast is heavy in protein and fiber. Special K is pretty much air-popped nothing. Try getting something like Fiber One and having it with almond or soy milk, and maybe an egg.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference between "can't" and "won't." One is not having the ability to do something, and the other is not having the willingness to do something. It appears to me that you "won't" stop snacking.
    It's a matter of willpower -- if you want something bad enough, you will have the willingness to make changes.
    Plain and simple....your choice.
    Kaye
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    First address what are your reasons for eating-- get to the root
    Are you eating to fuel your body or to fuel your emotions???

If you find yourself constantly snacking without control try this;
    Drink plenty of water
    Have a High Protein Breakfast - Eggs keeps you full and energized ...etc
    Sip on teas throughout the day - suppresses your appetite & Eliminates your cravings
    Oatmeal ( prepare it to drink- tastes better and gets down easier) - it keeps you full longer

Good Luck!
  • astrummortis
    astrummortis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    More protein and healthy fats. Bring a couple of hard boiled eggs to work for a morning snack and then full-fat yogurt for the afternoon, either with low sugar flavoring or just add your own fruit/honey/whatever.

And lots of water.