My calorie log and weight don't match up?? HELP?!?!?

Options
I just joined 5 days ago and now that I have an accurate count on calories and exercise I think I am more confused than ever.

I am on a 1200 calorie a day plan. Over the past five days I had one bad day, Saturday I went 900 calories over my daily goal, oops. We had a night out without the kids:) I made up for it with additional workouts the day before and aftter and finished the 5 days at 200 calories below what I was allowed. So why is it that I gained 2lbs since Friday?????

I would understand not necessarily losing, but gaining, I am at a loss....has anyone had this experience and what do you do to keep it from stalling your progress??

Replies

• loverrgirrl
    Options
    I think the issue is not eating enough 1200 calories isnt very much and if your burning that much your body could be going into starvation mode maybe try changing your goals and eating a little more. that might help.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    if you just started, dont panic. there could be a plethora of reasons this happens. First, you are changing what your body is used to. It might just decide to panic a little bit and start holding on to water, etc, not knowing what is going on. If the foods you chose to ate to get to 1200 calories was still alot of processed/packaged stuff you might see alot of sodium that, again, will make you retain water. Did you drink alot of water? You need tons to flush out all the bad stuff and get your body started in the right direction.

GIve yourself at least 2 weeks from when you change stuff before you decide it isnt working, it takes that long sometimes for your body to adjust.

I go through periods of weeks still that I dont lose.. and i keep at it knowing that in the end it will all even out and the weight will come off.

That is why so many people fail, they rely too much on the scale moving from day to day, and if they dont see it they give up. Keep doing the right things and the scale will follow....
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I recommend only weighing yourself one day a week, the same day, same time. Body fluctuates during the week. Could be that you had a lot of sodium this weekend and so you are actually seeing water weight. Drink plenty of water, make sure you are eating, and realize that the body has to adjust to all the things you are doing to it. :-) I'm pullin' for ya!
  • TIP64
    TIP64 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im not a doctor but I was told once that the 24 hour window is whats important. I'm set to lose 1lb a week. That being said i could see myself gain if i don't stay under the amout daily. Another reason did you measure yourself. If you have been exercising you may have lost an inch but gained muscle. I try and stay on an avarge of 100 calories a day. Your information could entered wrong or incomplete. Make sure you show everything you eat, I have found that simple things like a pickle spear can or an apple can add 80 calories. IThats the best I can tell you, don't give up so one week didn't happen. Make sure you eat as well if you cut to much your body will think you are starving and start storing and slow down to reserve causeing a gain in weight.

Good Luck
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I'm going to agree that it might be salt. I had a great weekend and ate out a couple of times, since I had family in town. I worked out extra hard and earned every single calorie, but almost any time you eat out you're guaranteeing that you go over on sodium. Even though I did very well I woke up on Sunday and had gained almost three pounds. I tried not to panic, and started chugging water to get rid of the salt. (My official weigh-in day for a weight loss competition I'm in is Monday!) I drank nothing but water and some teas (got one that was pomegranate, acai, and blueberry - wow), and ate only low-sodium food, and ditched all of the salt by this morning and was back to the weight that I started at Saturday. Whew.

Give it some time, drink a ton of water whenever you go out to eat to offset the sodium.

Hope this works/helps.

Good luck!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm sure you're right, I did end up with an unusual amount of processed food. Sunday I had a moderate water intake, but with my work out probably needed a lot more. I'll be chugging water and green tea all day today to see if that helps flush the sodium out.

Thanks for all of the feedback and encouragement:flowerforyou: