Full Marathon...

Options
berkra
berkra Posts: 78 Member
It took me 5:35 and I missed my goal of finishing under 5 hours. But I made my goal of finishing.
I could tell you how much my foot was hurting after Mile 14 and that I could hardly walk, but I was able to pick i up again after Mile 20 and passed 224 other runners
When the overall winner finished I still had 12 miles to go... But I had more time enjoying myself on the course and all the spectators :-)

Two years ago I was huffing and puffing after just 2 minutes, but yesterday I was out for 5:35 completing 26.5 miles
(I know i picked up a couple extra yards, that's what my GPS says and I am sticking to it)

Will I do it again, sure why not now that I know what it takes... dedication to my training, hydration and the right food

Over the last two years I have lost ~60 pounds Thanks to motivation I have received through friends and family, strangers out on my training runs and races.

I feel better than I have in a long time, see you out there somewhere running

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good job!!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That is quite the accomplishment! Congratulations!!! I can't even imagine finishing 26 miles...but then again a few months ago I couldn't even imagine doing 3! I am training for my first half marathon at the end of February. Any advice or tips you would like to share to a fairly new runner?
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is so inspirational! I did a full marathon back in March and it was AWFUL. After all the training I did, I had a messed up stomach the day of the race. I think it was horrible, horrible nerves. In hindsight, I really could have trained better. I didn't think I'd ever want to do another one, but reading your story and other similar stories makes me want to do a redemption marathon. Maybe sometime next fall? Congratulations on your accomplishment! I know how hard you must have worked!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Way to go! The last six miles is usually the hardest... Sounds like your tough spot happened earlier. I can't wait to be down low enough to start seriously training to do a marathon myself. You are an inspiration to us all thank you for letting me think it may be possible for me to do a marathon again...
  • mattyb1971
    Options
    Really great stuff - congratulations! I need to get off my butt and start with a 5K or something...
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your first marathon!
  • mustdothis40
    mustdothis40 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I do Half Marathons, and am scared of Fulls, so you have my respect!!!
  • berkra
    Options
    Nothing to be scared off, now that I have finished one ;-)
    I did my first 1/2 last year December 2:49 same race
    and followed up with three more
    February 2:31
    June 2:21 ( that one was hot in Dallas)
    Nov 2:00:38
    and now my first Full
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    amazing!! congrats!
  • berkra
    Options
    That is quite the accomplishment! Congratulations!!! I can't even imagine finishing 26 miles...but then again a few months ago I couldn't even imagine doing 3! I am training for my first half marathon at the end of February. Any advice or tips you would like to share to a fairly new runner?

No need to injure yourself,
    if your reasonable plan does not work
    go adjust it and enjoy the race

I read Jeff Galloway "www.jeffgalloway.com"
    It is ok to walk ;-)
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That is so amazing! You are an inspiration to me - thanks so much for sharing your experience.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your full! I have always been told your first should be about finishing, not a time :) I ran my first half last May, a 10 mile race in October, I have another half end of January, any my redemption run in May again (I finish my first half in 2:24 but was hoping for a 2:10 (I know I wasn't suppose to care about time :) so I want to run the same race again!
    I have a lot of respect for people who run the fulls (I just can't fit that training schedule into my life)

Again Congrats!!!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Totally amazing!! I'd like to try a marathon one day :)...but it's SO FAR :)!
  • nomo_excuses
    nomo_excuses Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    COMPLETELY AWESOME!!! Congratulations!!!
  • berkra
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I owe a lot of my success to other people on MFP
    On some of my runs I replayed comments from other users that made me go an extra 5 minutes or more
    The farther you run the more it becomes a mind game

Those legs want to tell you they can't go anymore? Just start singing and keep on going
    others might think that you are nuts, but that is ok
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Such an inspiration!

Contemplating a full in the fall of 2013 but not sure if I want to do that or stick with the 3 1/2's I was originally planning on. Just depends on the training and how I finish my 1/2 in May plus how my body feels.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love reading posts like this because this is my dream...next year I am hoping to complete the Victoria Half Marathon on Thanksgiving weekend. I can totally relate to how it feels to go from barley running for 2 minutes without huffing and puffing to just settling in for the distance (I'm only up to 15km). Great job and a time you should be proud of!!!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's a huge accomplishment!

I've done three half marathons and will start training for a full in January (May race). During my training I'll also be running a half that covers half of the course the full is on.

Question for you - what was your longest training run? Before I ran my first half, I actually ran that distance twice during training. I'm kinda nervous that the longest training run in my schedule is "only" 20 miles.
  • berkra
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's a huge accomplishment!

I've done three half marathons and will start training for a full in January (May race). During my training I'll also be running a half that covers half of the course the full is on.

Question for you - what was your longest training run? Before I ran my first half, I actually ran that distance twice during training. I'm kinda nervous that the longest training run in my schedule is "only" 20 miles.
    My long runs where 16 18 and 20 miles
    I was nervous too that this might not be enough, but with the goal to finish it worked.
    It took me so long, because my left foot started hurting like crazy and I had to walk quiet a bit.

One big thing I learned is that you need to have good used shoes for this adventure. I talked to my friend afterwards and he recommended to have two pairs that you run at the same time that they are not out right before your race and you need new ones. mine where 6 weeks old and I got a lot of miles on them, but somehow in the race they did not work.

I will run one again, but now that my base miles are up I think that I would try to get at least two 20 milers in
    Good luck.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Signed up for my first full just last week. I'm very excited and nervous. I just have this little voice in my head saying "It's only 26.2 miles. You can do it." I am choosing to listen to that voice! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!