Rewards

Person 1 - When I get to my goal (whatever that may be), I'm going to Burger King!
Person 2 - What, are you a dog? Don't reward yourself with food!

But what if that works? What if some people CAN do that?

I am wondering about reward system. Over the years I have seen a lot of debates on this, one I have heard, quite emphatically, was the above example. Yet, one weight loss method I read stated that it's ok. Their suggestion was to be responsible and eat healthy all week. And then on the weekend have something outside of that. Burger King, for example. As long as you don't go over board with that and be responsible.

Other people have set up a money jar with a goal in mind. New smaller set of clothes, a vacation or something along those lines.

For some, just the simple idea of losing weight and is enough and their are *strong* advocates of that method that believes that should be enough.

I think we have all seen, read, heard of, or tried "whatever."
Once, I was pushing 240lbs, I set everything into play and practiced what I knew. Worked out hard, ate right and went down to 174 in about 3-4 months. I was MUCH more active back then anyway so that wasn't the hard part. it was my diet.
I have never been one to count calories or keep a journal (of any kind), but I did cut out soft drinks. I am ashamed to say how many I drank a day. And that was before I drank coffee. I just drank water, juice and Gatorade.
Ate salads, fruits and veggies. Didn't starve myself.
And the one thing I allowed myself was a slice of cheesecake at the steakhouse I managed.
I didn't call it a reward, didn't realize or utilize a reward system. I just did it.

I HAVE used the method of a meal on the weekend. Taco Bell was my choice.
The rational behind that (from what I read) is that if a person all of a sudden tells themselves that they will nevermore eat all those delicious foods (and c'mon, we KNOW they are. Otherwise we wouldn't be here) they are less likely to stay with it.
I did this and for me it worked.

And that, I believe, is THE key point. It's what i use to tell my clients, if something doesn't work for you, fine, let's find something that DOES work. And it may mean going from one thing to the next. Everyone is different. Everyone has different values, needs and wants.

Personally, I don't have the money for a reward jar. I wish I did. I already put every penny I can find into a savings tin, and when I am desperate to buy gas or a can of beans I dip into it. So that won't work for me.
Nor will eating out. For what I pay on one meal, I can make that last so much longer at home.

The reward I will be working on is to fit in my own clothes better. I don't have the money to buy more, but I already have some very nice clothes in a smaller size (that fit me a few months ago). I want to look good.
End goal, I want to look DAMN good.
I bought a size large Chicago Bears tee shirt a few months ago. I have had that sucker hanging up.
I will wear it and look good in it. That's a little way down the road, and that's fine. That's absolutely ok.
The Chicago Bears have a phrase "Bear Down." that's where "Don Bears Down" comes from.

But I am interested in other reward systems, what has worked for YOU. What have you tried? What didn't work? What did and why did it?

I think with a bit of sharing we can develop a good system and find something for others who may be struggling to find something. Or maybe they just need something different.

In my opinion, whatever works for you is the best system.

Replies

• why not a food reward if its reasonable? I agree, if it works for you, why not?
    isnt learning how to control what we eat by appropriate time & portion control part of what we're trying to learn?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Lots of people get tattoos. Not for me. I use chocolate.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Eating better and exercise are my goals. Improved health and weight loss ARE my reward (Especially since the opposite occurs when I fail to meet my goals). I don't have any specific rewards set up or planned for milestones. To each his own-motivation is a fickle beast and everyone needs to find the system that works for them. If that's special splurge meals or tattoos or clothes or money or whatever it is-everyone needs to find what works for them. As such, if it works to keep you motivated and on track, it's a good system-regardless of what any article says (not implying that any methods mentioned are not good).
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    My first reward was when the doctor took me off one of my two high blood pressure meds. A couple of months later I got my second reward when he cut the dose in half on my other BP med. Another couple of months and my third reward was to cut those smaller pills in half. Fourth reward was to stop taking it completely!

When we eat healthy and exercise to improve our health and appearance, the results can be the best reward.

By Christmas time I should be under 200 for the first time in years. That will give me my BIG reward. I'm going to purchase a cowgirl belt, but not just any ol' cowgirl belt. Mine will be studded with silver and rhinestones thick enough to make it weigh three pounds or more! It will be soooo shiny and sparkly people will grab for their sunglasses even in the dark. It will be so awesome that the astronauts on the International Space Station will be asking about that bright light eminating from somewhere in south, central Montana. It will. . . You get the picture.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    I agree with you. Whatever works for you. What ever makes you happy. My goal is to be able to wear the cloths in the box of size 8 cloths in the attic. I don't have enough money to buy new ones either. If I want to go out to eat I do. If I can afford it. I will be more careful about the calories I eat. I will ask for a to-go box right away and save some for the next day. I want to feel good about myself again.
  • opticpoet
    opticpoet Posts: 29 Member
    why not a food reward if its reasonable? I agree, if it works for you, why not?
    isnt learning how to control what we eat by appropriate time & portion control part of what we're trying to learn?

Absolutely Phoenixchichi!
    I couldn't agree more. It irritates me when I see others put down another's reward system. It's different for everyone.
  • opticpoet
    gerripho that's great news! Since i have been walking so much (to and from school) I have been off my BP meds. I hate taking meds. Well, not really, but it was getting stupid how many bottles of this and that I had.
    Blah.
    I like the idea about the belt and outfit! :-) Like your very own championship belt! :-)
  • opticpoet
    vitaminddd - great job on all the weight loss! Quite impressive!

Sounds like we all have some great methods.
    I like the chocolate, too. ;-)

The new clothes is certainly one for me. I want to fit in clothes better rather than busting a button. :-(
    It will happen!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I wanted to get a tattoo when I reach goal weight, but since I can't decide on a design, I'll probably go shopping for clothes that actually fit. As for food rewards, I think it depends, my first major goal is to reach onederland by my birthday next month, whether I reach it or not, will not keep me from enjoying a Jilly's Cupcake for my birthday...Lemon Curd.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I have no problem with food rewards. I eat it and log it. I fit it into my calorie goals and move on. It's not any worse than having a cheat day, though I don't go hog wild like some people do (eat anything and don't log).

If/when I reach my UGW, I'm going to The Keg for a great steak.