Walking shoes

Options
I have recently added walking to my exercises and I find that my shins ache bad at night when I stop for the day and when I lay down to go to sleep. I need to know what are the best walking shoes or any advice you may have to help me with this. I have been doing Zumba in the morning and my legs never ached from that. The aching started when I started walking more.

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It sound like you may have shin splints which is normal. When I start walking after not walking for sometime I experience the same thing. The good thing is they normally heal on their own and the shin splint pain will eventually go away as you develop your shin muscles and adjust to your new stride.
  • womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also, New Balance has a great line of walking snearkers thats are inexpensive and Brooks are my absolute favorite sneaker for walking/running a little on the expensive side but they are worth every penny
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    nike pegasus and lunarglides are perfect for what you described
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks guys...anyone else...I am going shopping this morning!
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It also helps to do a little stretching when you finish, even though its just walking.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    New Balance.... here...
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I swear by New Balance and I have all sorts of issues with my feet, etc (that they totally help with).
  • shunterjon
    Options
    Sketchers Shape Ups are my favourite. Over many years of trial and errors Shape Ups came to my rescue They have different styles to choose from. But I think the XT style is amazing, like walking on a soft pillow of soft sand. Suportive and with the ability of walking for miles without the soles of your feet hurting. I have now 6 pairs all similar but all slightly different. I really love them.
    Barratts Shoes were quite cheap on line recently. Also Amazon too.
    John
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I swore by new balance until I tried the Nike Dual Fusion running shoes.I can't run but they are so light and cushioneed that my feet love them.They also have a wider toe box so they don't squeeze!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Asics !!! I wore New Balance for at least 10 years but they changed and are not so good. Asics 2170 :flowerforyou:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I love my Reebok shoes. They're so comfortable. I didn't even have to put in any gel insoles in them as I've done for some other athletic shoes.
  • H217
    H217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you ask the people who work in stores that specialize in athletic shoes and gear, they may be able to recommend a shoe style (based on support/structure for over- or underpronation) based on the way that you walk. It might not help with the shin pain, but it could help any ongoing or potential future foot pain that you might experience.

Edit: I just realized that this advice is coming a bit late, but hopefully it will help for the next time you need new shoes!