Unintentional sabotage?!?!?

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
Okay, so I have been back on MFP for about a month and have made no secret to anyone who wants to know how I am doing it (counting my calories, working out, drinking my water, etc).

Yesterday was my birthday, and a well-meaning lady brought me what she thought would be a good birthday cake for me: a carrot cake from Wal-Mart. Well. . . . that is, until I looked at the calorie count per slice: 560!!! I love the lady to death, but I told her I wanted to put the cake in her face. . .

What would be a good suggestion to do with it? Freeze it by the slice? Give it to the kids at church? Just throw it in the trash? I am open to suggestions, because otherwise, I have a feeling that it will be the downfall of my weight loss MAJOR!

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you have somewhere to take it and give it away I would do that. I wouldn't freeze it even by the slice - that would be too tempting for me.

Definitely don't keep it in the house - so either share it or throw it away. It took me a LONG time to realize that it was ok to throw food away in certain circumstances. I don't like to but eating a whole cake that is terrible for you vs. throwing it away - now I throw it away. :)
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I think it was probably unintentional, too. Give it to the kids at church! There's no sense in throwing it away. :) If it were me, I'd probably take a single, tiny bite, just to say I enjoyed her gift, and then give the rest away.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I would just chuck it. She'll never know.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake is so yummy! And DECEPTIVE!
    Just because it is named after a vegetable does NOT mean it is healthy!
    Especially with the cream cheese icing they usually use!
    PURE EVIL:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Give it away or throw it away. Preferably give it away so you don't feel guilty for wasting food.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, carrot cake isn't a temptation for me. I bought one for our horse to share with all her barn mates on her birthday last month. Horses love carrot cake!
  • ChefJeremyC
    ChefJeremyC Posts: 332
    Options
    Say ty and give her this for next year..........

Carrot Cake

Prep Time:30 min
    Start to Finish:2 hr 10 min
    makes:16 servings

Cake
    1/2 cup fat-free egg product
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
    1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
    Frosting
    4 oz (half of 8-oz package) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
    2 tablespoons butter or no-trans-fat 68% vegetable oil spread stick, softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 to 2 teaspoons fat-free (skim) milk
    1/3 cup chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottoms only of two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix egg product, oil, pumpkin, 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
    2. Add all remaining cake ingredients except carrots. Beat on low speed 30 seconds or until well blended. Stir in carrots. Pour batter evenly into pans.
    3. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Carefully run knife around sides of pans to loosen; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
    4. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. On low speed, beat in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. If necessary, add milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until frosting is desired consistency. Spread frosting between cake layers and on top. Sprinkle with pecans.
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Decrease baking powder to 1 1/4 teaspoons. In step 3, bake 30 to 35 minutes.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 190mg; Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 39g); Protein 3g

and i tell you what give it away unless its toooooo temting that trip urself while carring the cake, trip into the garbage.
  • ceciliam23
    ceciliam23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    People love cake. I bet you'll easily find a new home for your desert.

My in laws show affection by giving me sweets. I usually hand them out to friends or give them to family.
  • pinkhockymom
    pinkhockymom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Take a little bite and give the rest away!!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My skinny son or skinny husband gets treats like this. One of the ladies I work with is always giving us chocolate treats for every holiday. I thank her and give them to my hubby who loves her, LOL and rarely gains weight.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Love the carrot cake recipe by the way and have saved it in my recipe file. Thanks for sharing.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    omg, carrot cake - YUM. personally, i would eat half the slice and give the rest away. :)

ps - happy birthday! mine's 2 weeks from today! *excited!!!*
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Have a taste (if you want)

My experience has been that any food that you put in a communal kitchen at work disappears very quickly...just sayin'
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I'm more of the school that you can't just delete food from your body forever, or you will fail for sure. What I mean is, have a piece of the cake. Having a piece of cake on your birthday is fine. Allow for the calories, and move on. Don't binge on it, share it with friends, and enjoy it.

My major downfalls happen when I tell myself that I'll never have -insert beloved high calorie food here- again. Restricting only makes me want it more.

So I have -food- occasionally, when I allow for it. I eat one serving, or one half serving, and get rid of the rest either by sharing it or throwing it away, depending on what it is. Then calculate the rest of my day accordingly... for example, have a bowl of super-low-calorie progresso soup for dinner.

If you don't have an extreme obsession with food, go ahead and freeze it slice by slice (or by the half slice) in the freezer, and have it as a lovely dessert.

I won't deny myself the things that I've always loved. I will only love myself enough to have those things in moderation.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    What?!?!?

Carrot cake,,, made of carrots. Carrots are a vegetable,,, isn't carrot cake health food? :devil: :devil: :devil:

Probably an honest mistake on her part. Some people never read labels. Just say the dieter's prayer and put the cake on the breakroom table @ work, it'll disappear.

<<Dieter's prayer: 'Dear lord,,, if you won't make me thin,,, make my friends fat!' :bigsmile: >>
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cut out a slice, and add it to a nice vegetable based soup. Homemade veggy soups are really low in calories so if you add this to a quart of soup it'll probably end up being 150 calories per serving, ;)

j/k. Yeah you gotta find a place you can dump it. That's just too much. Now for me, if it was cheesecake ... hmm yeah that'd be a disaster for me. Good thing for me it's not cheesecake otherwise I'll want you send it my way.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    What?!?!?

Carrot cake,,, made of carrots. Carrots are a vegetable,,, isn't carrot cake health food? :devil: :devil: :devil:

Probably an honest mistake on her part. Some people never read labels. Just say the dieter's prayer and put the cake on the breakroom table @ work, it'll disappear.

<<Dieter's prayer: 'Dear lord,,, if you won't make me thin,,, make my friends fat!' :bigsmile: >>

haha that's awesome!!!
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    People love cake. I bet you'll easily find a new home for your desert.

My in laws show affection by giving me sweets. I usually hand them out to friends or give them to family.

I have made it clear for years now, please don't put candy in my Christmas stocking, don't give me an Easter basket full of candy, etc. They finally got the hint after 5 years when I took an entire stocking full of candy & dumped it straight into the garbage in front of them. I let them know this is what happened every time they bought me something I told them I don't want b/c its too much temptation to have it in the house.

It was so funny to see their mouths hang open. I said if you want to throw money away just give me the cash next time.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I say toss it.

First have HALF of a slice so you get a piece of heaven!

But then toss it; no one should be burdened with eating that many calories simply because it is a gift. (You'd be doing to other people what she did to you, except consciously!) :flowerforyou:
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Spit on it.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    What?!?!?

Caspero>>

Man, if only this would have happened last year, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. The cake would have been sitting in my section at work. . . but alas :sad: The company I work for has imposed a no goody table, no "bad food" table. . . now, they are having a birthday table on Thursday for me and my supervisor, so . . . . :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
    Twice the cake, I wonder if they would notice?