Curiousity killed the couch potato.

Options
ophelian
ophelian Posts: 32 Member
Hello, hello! I've just begun working with MFP (Day 3) and already its been an eye-opening experience. The mental tally of calories consumed vs. burned in my head was proving to be so off-base its scary! I'm glad to have found this well-rounded, user-friendly, and dare I say fun site to begin a more accurate fitness plan.

My fitness story really began to take shape July 2007. A childhood wrought with health issues left me knowing nothing other than being 50ish pounds overweight at any given time. I finally decided last year that I was going to become the athlete I always fantasized about being. I began working out and by April of '08 I'd gone from a size 24 to a size 16/18. I'm hoping I can continue to lose weight (maybe even at a faster rate) with more diligent calorie counting.

I have my fears about the process of weekly weigh-ins, for sure. I have a fairly muscular build and I love to strength train - so as the sizes go down the scale goes up. I'm hoping that the psychological impact of the number I see on the scale doesn't drag me down or occupy my mind so as to distract me from how I feel and look as I become more fit overall.

Thanks heaps! I look forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories as well. :)

Replies

• ophelian
    Options
    Hello, hello! I've just begun working with MFP (Day 3) and already its been an eye-opening experience. The mental tally of calories consumed vs. burned in my head was proving to be so off-base its scary! I'm glad to have found this well-rounded, user-friendly, and dare I say fun site to begin a more accurate fitness plan.

My fitness story really began to take shape July 2007. A childhood wrought with health issues left me knowing nothing other than being 50ish pounds overweight at any given time. I finally decided last year that I was going to become the athlete I always fantasized about being. I began working out and by April of '08 I'd gone from a size 24 to a size 16/18. I'm hoping I can continue to lose weight (maybe even at a faster rate) with more diligent calorie counting.

I have my fears about the process of weekly weigh-ins, for sure. I have a fairly muscular build and I love to strength train - so as the sizes go down the scale goes up. I'm hoping that the psychological impact of the number I see on the scale doesn't drag me down or occupy my mind so as to distract me from how I feel and look as I become more fit overall.

Thanks heaps! I look forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories as well. :)
  • kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

This site is the best thing ever :happy: :happy: :happy: Good luck on your healthful journey!!!
    You will have TONS of support here.

~Kell
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not using the scale except once a month or so. Instead, take your measurements and log those into this site and check them every week or two. A lot of people on this site do that and say it's more accurate and less worrisome for them. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the website!:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Welcome and your off to a good start already:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We're glad to have you. I'm sure you will continue to love this site and make progress towards your goal :)
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Welcome to the family. :happy:
  • ophelian
    Options
    What a warm welcome! Thanks to all!

thalli1: Thank you for the tip! I'll give it a go!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well every time you weigh in keep in mind how strong you are, but take some measurements of your own such as waist, thigh, and arm circumference and you'll be delighted to watch THOSE numbers get smaller and smaller. You can enter them here on the site and I think even track them!
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Everything you are striving for is positive and your work will help others. :happy:

Your life and career will be everything you desire because you ..."walked the walk".

Another... "life well lived"!!

~Namaste :flowerforyou: