Stomach flab - is it just down to genetics?

Options
I do a lot of sit ups but my stomach remains flabby. The rest of me is getting reasonably taut, but I just feel that making my abs appear a little and tighten in the side flab is real difficult. any advice on this would be great thank you!

Replies

• canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Well it could be. But it will improve a whole lot if you keep working hard. ; )
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of sit ups but my stomach remains flabby. The rest of me is getting reasonably taut, but I just feel that making my abs appear a little and tighten in the side flab is real difficult. any advice on this would be great thank you!

Do 190237819872 sit ups everyday and won't make your tummy tighten if your diet isn't right
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    To an extent, yes. You lose fat from different areas at different speeds depending on your ratio of alpha to beta adrenoreceptors.

Also, how lean you can comfortably get depends on genetics. For example, some males can hold 8% bodyfat effortlessly (think of the body of your typical basketball player). Another male might not be able to get that lean without his hormones crashing.

That being said, the amount of sit ups you do has almost nothing to do with it.
  • Ythiel
    Ythiel Posts: 14
    Options
    There's no such thing as spot-reducing... it's all a matter of losing weight and (eventually) toning up by strength excercise... I recommend Insanity. Great way of getting yourself in shape~
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    To an extent, yes. You lose fat from different areas at different speeds depending on your ratio of alpha to beta adrenoreceptors.

Also, how lean you can comfortably get depends on genetics. For example, some males can hold 8% bodyfat effortlessly (think of the body of your typical basketball player). Another male might not be able to get that lean without his hormones crashing.

I love it when you talk smart.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I love it when you talk smart.

You should hear me dissect offensive line play during a football game. rawr
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The good news is that all the sit ups probably have your abs developed pretty well. The bad news is that your abs actually showing has nothing to do with sit ups and everything to do with your BF%. If you want your abs to show you need to get your BF% lower. Keep doing sit ups too so they look good when the fat is gone.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Sit ups will not give you a flat stomach, they will give you strong hip flexors and possibly weak glutes (buttock muscles). To get a flatter stomach you should be working the transversus abdominis muscle which is like a giant belt around your waist.

To get rid of fat on the stomach area you need to get your diet right, do intensive interval cardio workouts, intensive weights routines where you are lifting more than you are resting and using a lot of muscle mass at once. Research suggests you can spot reduce the abdominal area ONLY if you get your diet and exercise right. That is because the fat in that area tends to be encouraged by anything the body finds stressful (poor sleep patterns, sugar/ white refined carbs, smoking, alcohol, etc) but is readily mobile in 'fight or flight' situations. Genetics do play a role but the effect can be reduced or overcome.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    Pretty simple: ABS are not made in the gym, abs are made in the kitchen. Focus on clean eating (5-6 meals a day, small portion, no processed foods, high protein, low carbs) and your abs will pop. I just started an "ab attack" challenge for myself (that's why my profile pic is of my abs..lol) - All I'm doing is eating clean, documenting, and making myself accountable by posting my weekly ab pictures on my page. :-)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You already have great abs but in order to see them, you need to lose the fat that's covering them up. This may be more difficult for some than others but anyone can do it.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    <<~~ I did this without doing one single sit up.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    LOSE FAT then eat alot and gain some muscle
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, body fat and ab work have no relationship. Drop overall body fat and "stomach flab" will decrease.
  • dramir47
    Options
    no matter how many situps you do a day, if your diet is not right, you will not see them.