Every time I run it hurts my knees.

Options
I do stretch before I run. I run on my treadmill at no incline, but every time I'm finished running, my knees start to hurt every time I take a step. I don't know if how fast I'm running has to do with it, but I run 1 mile at 6 mph. Anyone know why I'm having this problem?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem :sad:

I fixed it by not running
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Without seeing a doctor?

Slow down..
  • havenxx
    Options

Well I'm not going to stop, lol
    I'm trying to get ready for my first run in January, it's 4 miles.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Well I'm not going to stop, lol
    I'm trying to get ready for my first run in January, it's 4 miles.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Might be overdoing it with the pace..knock the pace back by a half mile and see what happens.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'd take it slow, and build speed and distance only after you can do your runs w/o pain. I ended up with (the drs think) tendonitis in my knee from doing too much too fast (ran two half marathons w/in a month of each other after only training a few months). it was TERRIBLE and its taking forever to heal from and build my miles back up. pushing yourself is not worth the risk of injury that can last months or longer. So take it slow, maybe try a C25K program thats how i started running a couple of years ago and it really eases you into things and you see progress really quick.

good luck!
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    This applies to everything and everyone. Walking, jogging or running.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Please post your age, weight, normal fitness activities, and all medical records. That way, we have a little more information to go on.

But...without all the above information, I would say, lay off for a bit, take it easy and/or slow down, then work back up to your regular speed. AND..go see a doctor.
  • havenxx
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    I didn't know that, thanks!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Running is a high impact exercise, and if you have it at a zero incline, you're just leaving yourself to repeatedly pound your feet against a flat surface. Increasing the incline should create a bit more give. Like it or not, you may have already done enough damage to have to stop.
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You need to see your doctor and get his advice. You could be doing permanent damage to your knees without knowing it. Then you will have to stop running and go to rehab therapy :(. Don't injure yourself by being stubborn, your body is trying to tell you something, you should listen! ;)
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to run for the past year, since joining the gym. It just doesn't work with my knees. My mother, her brother & father and my brother all need (or have had) knee replacement surgeries. Mostly due to jogging on pavement or aerobics on cement. We're just genetically S.O.L. to be joggers.

If you're training for a 4m run in January and can only do 1m at this point, you may not be ready anyhow.

Slow down the pace, up the incline like someone said, and take it easy! Pain with every step is your body's way of telling you to stop. What kind of runners do you wear? Get fitted for GOOD running shoes, at a running store.

Stop or at least slow down, before you ruin your knees for good. You need them to walk the rest of your life. Not trying to be snarky, just stating the truth (as much as we all hate to hear it sometimes, myself included).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What part of your knee hurts? Does it go away after a mile or so, or get worse? Do you do ITB stretches? Have you been professionally fitted for proper shoes?

No matter the answer, don't run through knee pain. It means something is wrong and you need to figure out what before causing more damage.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    stretch, ice, rest, elevate, compress, refuel, hydrate, run slower, take a break! :)
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options

really? why's that?
  • havenxx
    Options
    I've wanted to run for the past year, since joining the gym. It just doesn't work with my knees. My mother, her brother & father and my brother all need (or have had) knee replacement surgeries. Mostly due to jogging on pavement or aerobics on cement. We're just genetically S.O.L. to be joggers.

If you're training for a 4m run in January and can only do 1m at this point, you may not be ready anyhow.

Slow down the pace, up the incline like someone said, and take it easy! Pain with every step is your body's way of telling you to stop. What kind of runners do you wear? Get fitted for GOOD running shoes, at a running store.

Stop or at least slow down, before you ruin your knees for good. You need them to walk the rest of your life. Not trying to be snarky, just stating the truth (as much as we all hate to hear it sometimes, myself included).
    Hopefully I haven't done too much damage. I don't think it's genetic because my moms a really good runner. I wear Nike's. They're called Relentless 2. Thank you!
  • havenxx
    Options
    What part of your knee hurts? Does it go away after a mile or so, or get worse? Do you do ITB stretches? Have you been professionally fitted for proper shoes?

No matter the answer, don't run through knee pain. It means something is wrong and you need to figure out what before causing more damage.
    I'm really not sure what part hurts, maybe my kneecaps? And usually it hurts right after but then i go lay down and they feel better when I get up. No I do not do ITB stretches. No I haven't been professionally fitted.
    My knees don't hurt while I'm running, it's when I get off the treadmill.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do ITB stretches for sure!
    Also, if something hurts don't to it.

and read Born to Run... just because its awesome, and as a runner I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to slow down your pace and up the incline on your treadmill. I always jog at a 2.0 or 2.5 incline. I'm doing a Couch to 5K training program and only jog at 3.0 mph; working for me and I'm loving it. I have knee pain also, but that it because I am OBESE and need to lose weight, lol. I have a family history of osteoarthritis, but I'm tired of being afraid to run. I know my weight has more detrimental effects on my WHOLE body than a little bit of jogging does on my knees.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your run in January! I'm planning on doing a 5K after the new year and also an American Lung "Fight for Air" climb at our local college football stadium in March 2013 :flowerforyou: