I lost 70lbs in 8 months!!

Options
I can't believe it! My clothes have become so baggy that I can't even keep my pants on without a belt! When I started I couldn't even wear a belt! The waist on my pants would roll when I sat down, but no more!!

I hope that I'm able to inspire those who are struggling to NOT GIVE UP!! I wanted to, more that once, but then I tune into the "skinny me", what I will look after a full year of a good healthy life change.

I hit 2 plateaus while I've been on this journey. One lasted a month (very frustrating), and one lasted 3 weeks. It was very discouraging to say the least. I felt stuck, and I refused to even consider lowering my calorie intake.

I started off eating counting calories, and I tracked them with determination to learn the right way to eat. I made the decision that this is the way I want to live. A healthier life style. I do not track them anymore as I just got used to my menu. I can count them in my sleep now.

I'll tell you what made me want to make this change in my life, this might be upsetting for some, but it is what started it. I am grateful for this change. In 2010, my sister (who was 28) passed away from a condition called Myocarditis. We didn't even know she was sick. It's the worse thing I've ever gone through in my life, and I've had some real struggles and tragedies in my life. I used to contemplate suicide on a regular basis, almost every day. I felt worthless. I lost hope. But it was the look on my Mother's face when she told me that we lost my sister. She was my little sister, and my only sister. When my Mother looked at me, when she struggled to get the words out that Jennifer was gone, I saw a part of her that would never return. The heart break of outliving your child has to be one of the most heartbreaking things anyone could ever go through. I decided I would never put that look on my Mother's face. While I don't want to lose my Mother ever (selfish really, but what can I say?) , I do believe that even in death, we will meet again someday. We will never have to be apart again.

I still think about suicide at times, I can't lie. But now the thought is immediately followed by the image of my Mother's face. I never, ever, want to break her heart.

Some may want to know how I did it, and there really is no secret to losing weight. You eat healthy, you move your body. I'm not going to share my calorie goals because my goals will not work for everyone. I will share that I focus on high protein, high fat (healthy fat of course) and low sodium. I don't eat anything with trans fat, I don't eat processed food (except on Tuesdays, weigh in day, which is my treat day.) I don't call it a cheat day, because I believe that deprivation diets are a key factor in failure.

For the first few months, I would daydream of the foods that are on my red list. Trigger foods, if you will. I was angry when I stepped into the grocery store. I felt like there was nothing I could eat anymore. I decided to go with a green/yellow/red list. The foods on my red list are foods that I've decided I will never eat again. Fast food is out forever, fried chicken, deep fried anything really. I decided not to eat processed food. If it comes in a box, I don't eat it. If it comes in a can, no way Jose.

So I leave you with this message. This journey will change your life forever! NEVER, EVER, give up hope. Remember that even if you hit a plateau, it cannot last forever. Make changes when this happens, change your menu.

I hope that you reach your goals, I truly do. Walking is easier, breathing is easier, and you just feel so truly good about what you accomplish. I may have a long way to go, but I know I will get there.

I will put up a picture at Christmas, comparing what I looked like last year to now.

Keep up the good work everyone! You CAN do this!!!

Best Wishes,

Shrinking Shawna

Replies

• Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am so proud of you!
  • camajade
    camajade Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It touched me and just at the right time. You are a beautiful person (even without seeing a picture of you). I am glade that you think of your mom on those bad days and that you move forward. I am sorry for your lost (sister). But also congratulations on your success. Keep up the great spirit. You are an inspiration.

P.S. go shopping for new clothes :laugh:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    You know I am so very proud of you and we have some of the same things that are a no no, processed foods and canned foods (I have exceptions like tuna) My treat is churches fried chicken , just cause I love it.

You are amazing.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much for sharing. You have done an amazing job this year!
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What an amazing gift and tribute to your mom. To decide to live and to live healthy because you know how much it means to her. Does she know that she was your inspiration to change?

I'm doing a similar thing, but from the other end of the spectrum. I have a darling granddaughter and I'm working to change my habits and poor lifestyle choices so that I can be around for her as long as possible.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What an amazing gift and tribute to your mom. To decide to live and to live healthy because you know how much it means to her. Does she know that she was your inspiration to change?

I'm doing a similar thing, but from the other end of the spectrum. I have a darling granddaughter and I'm working to change my habits and poor lifestyle choices so that I can be around for her as long as possible.

She does know, and it makes her very happy.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    Way to go! I am so proud of you!

Thanks Jen! You rock too girl!
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It touched me and just at the right time. You are a beautiful person (even without seeing a picture of you). I am glade that you think of your mom on those bad days and that you move forward. I am sorry for your lost (sister). But also congratulations on your success. Keep up the great spirit. You are an inspiration.

P.S. go shopping for new clothes :laugh:

Thank you so much. And I will go shopping as soon as I get a little money. Clothes are so expensive, and I keep telling myself it will be a waste of money because those will be too big after long. It really is uncomfortable wearing clothes that are so big on me though, so I might just have to give in and shop.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    You know I am so very proud of you and we have some of the same things that are a no no, processed foods and canned foods (I have exceptions like tuna) My treat is churches fried chicken , just cause I love it.

You are amazing.

I really miss spaghetti. I tried those wheat noodles, but I just can't like them for the life of me. You have been an awesome friend and inspiration too girl! Keep up the fight!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Congrats!
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    Thank you soo much for sharing. You have done an amazing job this year!

Thanks for being an awesome friend, and you truly are one of my inspirations! Thanks for being my friend. <3
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options

You are amazing.

I really miss spaghetti. I tried those wheat noodles, but I just can't like them for the life of me. You have been an awesome friend and inspiration too girl! Keep up the fight!

Have you tried shirataki noodles? They make a delicious, zero calorie stir fry base!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are strong and a real inspiration. I love the green, yellow, red list idea.... Gonna make me one of those.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Inspiring Shawna! You are amazing! Thanks for sharing your story ;-)
  • puddlesiam
    puddlesiam Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So inspiring, thank you so much for sharing.