Advice on carbs

Options
I need to reduce my carbs but I have noticed that it's not as easy as I thought it would be. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to reduce my carbs intake?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I need to reduce my carbs but I have noticed that it's not as easy as I thought it would be. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to reduce my carbs intake?

I took a peak at your diary. Instead of reducing carbs I would focus more on replacing the ones you're currently eating (lot's of processed foods in your diary) and replacing those with healthy fruits and veggies. Also your logging was very inconsistent which could be the reason you're not happy with the results your getting. Before you go the low carb route I would work on cleaning up your diet and logging in more consistently.
  • Vervain7
    Vervain7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    avoid all processed foods, allow carbs from fruits and veggies, avoid sugar and white flour items- that would eliminate a big majority of carbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it so much as reducing your carbs as increasing your protein and fat intake. Just shift the portion sizes around. A little more meat, a little more peanut butter or cheese or milk or avocado or olive oil, and a little less of whatever carbs you were having.

I still have pasta and rice regularly, but I mix in a cup of frozen vegetables that complement whatever flavors I'm eating. So instead of eating two cups of pasta, I'm having one cup of pasta and one cup of veg. Immediate reduction in carbs and calories and increase in the vitamins from the vegetables, without any reduction in flavor or volume.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity who is telling you that you have to cut carbs?

My suggestion would be to just eat healthy carbs such as fruits and vegitibles and avoid higher glycemic index carbs such as bread, begals, candy, chips, soda etc.

Really don't have any suggestions on how to cut carbs out.. other then to say replace them with protien. Idk, if your dr told you to cut carbs i guess thats one thing. if its just for fitness/weight loss, there are better, more sustainable options out there.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1. Quit the Soda... I did when I started in July and I'm down 107 now...
    2. Quit the preprocessed and fast food...
    3. Choose high fiber foods including whole grains, fruits and veggies...
    4. Try some Kashi cereal or cheerios instead of the sugar puffed wheat...
    5. Don't try to change everything over night... Take one thing at a time and change it then move on to something new.
    Feel free to add me if you need a pal.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it so much as reducing your carbs as increasing your protein and fat intake. Just shift the portion sizes around. A little more meat, a little more peanut butter or cheese or milk or avocado or olive oil, and a little less of whatever carbs you were having.

I still have pasta and rice regularly, but I mix in a cup of frozen vegetables that complement whatever flavors I'm eating. So instead of eating two cups of pasta, I'm having one cup of pasta and one cup of veg. Immediate reduction in carbs and calories and increase in the vitamins from the vegetables, without any reduction in flavor or volume.

this is good advice that shouldn't be to hard to follow. Not only would you go from 2 cups of pasta to one, but fiber is supposed to reduce the insulin response. Pasta doesn't have much fiber, but pair it with a high fiber vegitable and it should honestly reduce the blood sugar spike effect that you get from high glycemic index foods.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I agree with this advice. If you swap out pre packaged foods and fast foods for veggies, fruit, and lean protein, you will see better results.

quote]

I took a peak at your diary. Instead of reducing carbs I would focus more on replacing the ones you're currently eating (lot's of processed foods in your diary) and replacing those with healthy fruits and veggies. Also your logging was very inconsistent which could be the reason you're not happy with the results your getting. Before you go the low carb route I would work on cleaning up your diet and logging in more consistently.
    [/quote]
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just one word......SUGAR.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I buy a pasta that has higher fiber in it. My hubby really likes pasta and I like it enough I have a hard time not eating it at all so I do the higher fiber and reduce my servings as a previous poster said before.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Best way to cut carbs; eat more meat (steak is my favorite).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only high carb things I see that are a problem are the sugary drinks. Cut those out and voilà!
  • KelseyMaureen
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I am definitely going to hit the grocery store after work! :happy:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat less processed stuff and more low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables. Watch the added sugar, you had 104g of sugar in a Coke one day which is about 20 teaspoons when your blood can only hold around one teaspoon of glucose at one time. If you eat out maybe have water?