How do i stop snacking between meals?!

Every day i snack on stuff, especially when i get home. Ill have dinner but ill keep having little snack almost until i got to bed. I really want to stop snacking but i cant help it! does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop snacking and stop the craving for junk food and sweets? Please help!

Replies

• LosingWeightKate
    LosingWeightKate Posts: 39 Member
    You should snack a little throughout the day, just make sure that you're making the right choices when you do so. It's good for your body to know that there will be food coming in, especially when it isn't getting as much as it did when you weren't eating better. But if you're really worried about it and over snacking, I suggest getting some gum. That really helps me. It keeps my mouth busy and therefore, I can't eat anymore! Or have a tall glass of water! Or find something to do that will keep your busy until those cravings go away. If you're mind and hands are busy, you'll be less likely to snack.

I'm not an expert or anything, but this is what has worked for me.
  • SKJ98
    SKJ98 Posts: 25
    I like the chewing gum idea! ill try it! thanks :)
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Make sure that your main meals you have are healthy and filling, then you will be less likely to be hungy afterwards.
    Anytime you feel hungy, drink a big glass of water first. Then if you still feel hungry after that, allow yourself to have a healthy snack.

If you are snacking due to boredom or habit, rather than hunger, find something to keep you occupied. Go for a walk or clean the house - it takes up some of your time and burns calories. I also like to paint my nails as it gives me something to do and I can't eat with wet polish on my nails :wink:

Another thing is to retrain yourself and your habits I used to always snack while sitting on the couch watching TV, so much that it became a habit for me. I had to retrain myself to watch television without having food. The first few times were hard, but it does get easier the more you do it.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Make sure your meals are balanced then keep your mouth closed between meals. Get snackss out of the house too
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Only snack on vegetables. Problem solved.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    There's nothing wrong with snacking as long as you account for it in your calories. If you're making poor snack choices - stop and try to carry some things with you that will tide you over until your next meal. My favorite work snack is an apple and some peanut butter. Easy to carry - I measure out PB and put it into a small plastic container. Planning makes all the difference.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    I snack all day long, many days my snacks easily reach 500-600 calories.

But my three main meals I eat are smaller.

I've found losing weight pretty easy as long as I'm allowed to snack throughout the day plus it seems to keep me much happier.

As long as your snacks are healthy and don't go over your calorie allotment I say snack away!

My food diary is open and you can see what I eat for my snacks.
  • SKJ98
    SKJ98 Posts: 25
    Thanks for the advice! The key is keeping busy and snacking healthy! I need to keep fruits and vegetables in the house from now on!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    I use all the tips suggested here. I love salty snacks and love to relax with some TV & food too.
    Well that habit is almost gone but emotional triggers can still find me doing it. I am still retraining myself not to eat when I watch TV.

I don’t buy any junk food and ask other people who do to hide it as I don’t want to see it.
    I drink a glass of water, have snack vegetables prepped for nibbling, and if I need a good fix I’ll have a tsp of peanut butter. I eat balanced meals and eat snacks between meals to avoid being hungry after dinner.

I hope you find something that works for you. You can do it!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Thanks for the advice! The key is keeping busy and snacking healthy! I need to keep fruits and vegetables in the house from now on!

You nailed it. Healthy, nutritious snacks are great for many reasons...Good luck! Now, time for some organic celery sticks and almond butter...burns fat, good for the heart.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    you should snack between meals. It's what your snacking that could be the issue. Read Forks over Knives.
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    i eat every 3 hours. small meals, about 250 to 300 caories. and make sure to have lots of protein. it keeps me full longer.
  • aisha1142
    aisha1142 Posts: 8 Member
    Chew on some gum or drink water! Thats what I do!
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Be sure you are giving your body what it really needs for meals. If you are eating foods with little or no nutrition, your body will not be satisfied. Make sure you are eating veges with color at every meal. Try to snack on veges first with that glass of water. Once you spike your glucose with sweets you set yourself up to crave rebound sweets for the rest of the day. The bigest challenge is learning what will get you back under control. Remember to keep snacks about 100 calories. try making yourself to eat veges then see if you are still hungry. then try a protein. Doubt if you would still be craving after that. Snacking is great if done right because it will keep you from pigging out later when you are starving. My favorites are celery with humus or apple with almond butter.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Only snack on vegetables. Problem solved.

Sounds good to me. If the snacks are healthy and they fit within your calorie budget, snacking isn't bad. First, try drinking something - you may just be thirsty. But, if you think you're snacking out of boredom or stress, get up and do something physical. When I get the urge to snack inappropriately, I just go clean something or take a walk or play with the dog for awhile and the urge usually passes. If distracting yourself doesn't work, maybe your body is telling you that you actually DO need a light snack. Just have something healthy. :drinker:
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I choose apples as m snack, or a yogurt. I watch something really stupid at night. AFV makes me laugh and relieves stress. Twenty four hour news stations put me on edge and I eat bad foods. I go for a nice walk too.
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    If your meals are comprised mainly of whole, natural foods, then they will contain a high enough nutrient density to keep you satisfied in between meals. If you are already eating these types of meals, then it's okay to increase caloric load during meals as long as sugars and starchy carbs are kept to a minimum. Almost impossible to overeat greens and veggies and well worth upping these if it prevents snacking on junk foods.

If meals are already nutritious and filling and snack cravings still come, it could be a psychological issue. Try keeping busy during times when you usually snack and this may help take your mind off it. If this works, make it a habit to remain occupied between meals so you're not sitting around idle thinking about food. Hope this helps.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Here's a trick that my mom has always done, and I've adopted it.

When you know you're just snacking for the sake of stuffing your face, but you know you aren't actually hungry...go in the bathroom and take care of your teeth. Do a really good job flossing. Then brush really well. Don't forget to brush your tongue! See...after you work so hard to get our whole mouth clean, you won't want to ruin it by getting food in your teeth again. Also, the minty tingle of the toothpaste will numb your tastebuds and nothing will seem appealing after that. You just won't want to eat. And your dentist will be proud of you too!
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Buy only the food you 'plan' to eat for that week. Don't buy any extra. Clean out your frig and pantry of anything processed. If you feel the need to snack between meals, keep the snack under 100 calories. Remember, being hungry won't kill you. Work through it. You'll adapt.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    If I realy want a sweet snack, I eat a pice of fruit...the natural sugars in the fruit curb the sweets craving. Skinny Cow has also some really good ice cream sandwiches that are only 150 cal if you REALLY need a snack. There are other low cal options as well but fruit is always the best!!