question about how much

Options
How do you know how much protein carbs and so forth you should be eating?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some definite goals ex: body building, don't worry about it, just stay in your calorie budget. You can always tweak macros when you get close to goal if you need to.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • samanthag1016
    Options
    It's actually very appropriate to pay attention to your macro-nutrient ratios at whatever weight you are! All calories are not created equal, your body processes each type differently. What you decide to eat should be influenced by your genetics, how you're working out, how much weight you have to lose, and other factors.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say what ratios you "should" be eating. Some people are sensitive to carbohydrates and sugars, and do best on diets that restrict them. Body builders tend to eat very low carb diets as well. Other athletes eat more carbs because they need them for endurance exercises.

I eat a diet that is 40% fat/30% protein/30% carbs. I have a ton of energy and am never hungry, even though I'm frequently under my calorie goal. I box and weight lift for exercise, and I've been dropping weight much more steadily than I would if I were eating more carbs. My advice would be to research nutrition so you can understand what's best for you; there are a lot of good books out there (I started out by reading about the Paleo diet). Or ask a (knowledgeable) personal trainer or dietitian.

But at any rate, educating yourself about how food affects your body is THE key to success in this journey. Definitely a question worth asking.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't worry about it that much. I log my food and then I learn. I always try to stay under fat and sodium. I only track calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and fiber. I don't really care if I go over protein or fiber.
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey Girlfriend, When you set your goals, MFP sets the suggested breakdown of nutrients within the calories they give you. OK?
  • dramir47
    Options
    It all depends on your goals. Right now I'm dieting while keeping my muscle so I'm doing at least 190 grams of protein, the most 150 grams of carbs, and 50-60 grams of fat. Not all carbs and fat are bad! you need carbs for energy, especially if you're working out, so you can add your fruits, beans, sweet potatoes, omega 3 fish oil, peanut butter, almonds, and avocados. hope this helps a little.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks