A little bit of a rant..

Options

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    People complicate things to give themselves a reason for failure. Success is achieved by making the small changes necessary until the results are remarkable.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Abandon-Thread-jack-sparrow.gif

:laugh:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I will freely admit that I splurge on some big-calorie meals more often than i should, and then complain that I'm not losing as fast as I should be. Not here on MFP, but still...

I think sometimes when people are saying "but that's ok," they're not saying it's ok to binge. It's more like saying "ok, I messed up, but I'm not going to let that sabotage my whole plan and just give up." I know that for me, it used to be very easy to let one bad meal throw me off for the day, the week, or sometimes even the month. "Oh, I've already blown it for the day so I'm not going to care about dinner" sometimes can very easily lead to "I've already blown it for the week so I won't care over the weekend, I'll just start again on Monday."

Bad habits can take a long time to change.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Recalibrate to worry about your own journey. I think lack of accountability is rampant in lots of areas, and the only anecdote is to mind your own business.
    In support of this though, I just heard a girl at the beauty shop decline an invitation to enter a weight loss contest with her coworkers because "she'd gained 70 lbs and is unable to lose even one now and even Mayo Clinic can't find the reason why".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm completely flabbergasted that someone found the original post offensive.

Personally, I'm ok with a little binge here and there, as long as it's not affecting the overall progress. I look at the big picture. If I was 500 calories below maintenance for 6 days and 500 calories over on the 7th, I'm still making progress and haven't "undone" anything.

But I'm sure as hell not going to be upset by someone who had incredible success sharing the secrets of that success!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    OP if you are sick of reading the threads like that there is a real easy solution.................don't read it. Take time out from the forums.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I remember talking to a friend about exercising regularly and she said..." Well, I find it sooo hard...I have a husband and two kids and a full time job..." Then she looked at me and said, " Oh...you do too, don't you?"

No one said it was easy...it is hard to change habits and make good choices all the time. That is why I don't make good choices ALL THE TIME. I still have to live and enjoy this life. I am just not going to whine about not losing weight, when I know darn well why I haven't.

Do or do not...there is no try...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Personally, I'm ok with a little binge here and there, as long as it's not affecting the overall progress. I look at the big picture. If I was 500 calories below maintenance for 6 days and 500 calories over on the 7th, I'm still making progress and haven't "undone" anything.

500 calories over one of 6 days is not a binge. Not even a little binge.
  • Woofkaz4
    Options
    :smile:
    Thank you soo much for your post. It really inspired me. I plan on living the words in your post. I really needed to hear that.
    Thank you
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

500 calories over one of 6 days is not a binge. Not even a little binge.

No, but when you see some people upset about being 25 calories over as if they "blew it," eating about 2800 calories would explode their brains.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I will freely admit that I splurge on some big-calorie meals more often than i should, and then complain that I'm not losing as fast as I should be. Not here on MFP, but still...

I think sometimes when people are saying "but that's ok," they're not saying it's ok to binge. It's more like saying "ok, I messed up, but I'm not going to let that sabotage my whole plan and just give up." I know that for me, it used to be very easy to let one bad meal throw me off for the day, the week, or sometimes even the month. "Oh, I've already blown it for the day so I'm not going to care about dinner" sometimes can very easily lead to "I've already blown it for the week so I won't care over the weekend, I'll just start again on Monday."

Bad habits can take a long time to change.

Well said!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. There's only one reason that you can't lose weight and that's eating too much. The last few pounds may be hard but if you're 100 lbs overweight you can lose. It isn't your slow metabolism, starvation mode, your genetics, the disease of the week or any of the other excuses.

Well, there's LOTS of reasons you can't lose weight. But eating too much and excusing yourself is certainly one of them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Epicly awesome :glasses:
  • Blondie_05
    Options

LOL
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP, I personally have been stuck for awhile now. I know why and I'm not gonna making excuses I just am glad I haven't gained any back yet. My plateau is due to being over or right at calorie count and not exercising because of either my work schedule or being stuck with my nose in a textbook doing homework for my college classes.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    While I may agree with you, I usually opt out of reading midway through the first sentence, give a quick sigh and eye roll and move on.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    I agree with the OP! Stop making excuses & own up to what you put into your mouth! Losing weight takes a dedicated person who is willing to make a complete lifestyle change! Eating right, working out, getting enough sleep & making sure they stick to it everyday! I'll say it again I agree with the OP & didn't find it offensive at all! When I first started this journey I made TONS of excuses but when it clicked I started losing weight & haven't looked back since!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care about anyone else's journey but my own. I'm accountable to myself... no one else. If I fail? No one to blame but me.

Unless you have some metabolic disorder or thyroid issues weight loss is a simple formula:

Desire + Knowledge + Commitment + Nutrition + Busting Your *kitten* = Success

Do the BMR/TDEE math and get off your butt. No excuses. Weight loss isn't supposed to be easy. Getting fat in the first place was easy. Sorry for the harshness, but really... if you can't dedicate YOURSELF into getting into fit health, no forum board, app or Ziggy calendar is gonna do it for you.

:huh:
  • cormierangela
    Options
    so true!!!!!!