SAD carb and sugar cravings

Options
Howdy y'all.
I'm from the south, Florida specific (not too southern but southern enough) but I'm trapped up hear in Seattle. I've got SAD right now and it's hard to deal with. I've got a sun lamp of my own that I use but my main issue is the cravings. Cravings for carbs and sugar worse than when I'm PMSing. How do those of you who live where there are cold, dark, short days handle the cravings?

I try to swim at least 3 times a week, pilates the other days. It's such a struggle though to not just curl up in a blanket every day.

Replies

• shereemaria
    shereemaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Seattlite here. Go tanning, take a buttload of vitamin d, drink lots of herbal tea (find a flavour that is sweet to you), take up lifting or cardio routine. That's it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling that much maybe you need a stronger lamp, longer treatment times or medication from your doctor. Eat plenty of oily fish for the vitamin D and long chain omega-3s, low glycaemic index carbs little and often always with protein and fat, do a much more intense form of exercise to get that 'high'.
  • Kimberlylewis5453
    Options
    I hear yah about the sugar cravings! I use to eat candy bars like no other. Whenever I feel the need for sugar I have some dark chocolate. Exercising helps me tremendously, I feel SO much better after a great work out.

Right now my "treat" would be apple and almond butter. Or you could try making a smoothie too. I switched from ice cream to greek yogurt and sliced banana. I got used to it after a bit, I still indulge once a week though. :)
  • MegMorrisonWilson
    Options
    If you are struggling that much maybe you need a stronger lamp, longer treatment times or medication from your doctor. Eat plenty of oily fish for the vitamin D and long chain omega-3s, low glycaemic index carbs little and often always with protein and fat, do a much more intense form of exercise to get that 'high'.

Yeah, trying to not take meds. Can't have fish either. Do you know other ways to get omega-3s?
  • MegMorrisonWilson
    Options
    I hear yah about the sugar cravings! I use to eat candy bars like no other. Whenever I feel the need for sugar I have some dark chocolate. Exercising helps me tremendously, I feel SO much better after a great work out.

Right now my "treat" would be apple and almond butter. Or you could try making a smoothie too. I switched from ice cream to greek yogurt and sliced banana. I got used to it after a bit, I still indulge once a week though. :)

Problem with having dark chocolate bites in the house- I eat it all in one sitting! Bah!
    I suppose I just need better willpower. I just eat and eat and eat and eat for comfort. Not to mention all the mochas during finals week.
  • MegMorrisonWilson
    Options
    Seattlite here. Go tanning, take a buttload of vitamin d, drink lots of herbal tea (find a flavour that is sweet to you), take up lifting or cardio routine. That's it.

Don't think I can afford tanning (money wise and skin wise, lots of skin cancer in the family to watch) but I'll definitely get some more good tea. What vitamin d supplements or sources do you use?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i live in western washington and the only thing ive found that really helps me is a buttload of vitamin d - i was on perscription strength for a while but now i just take otc stuff. also, eating a high protein breakfast helped me a lot...if i skip it or just have cereal or something then im digging through the pantry for cookies and crackers by noon
  • MegMorrisonWilson
    Options
    i live in western washington and the only thing ive found that really helps me is a buttload of vitamin d - i was on perscription strength for a while but now i just take otc stuff. also, eating a high protein breakfast helped me a lot...if i skip it or just have cereal or something then im digging through the pantry for cookies and crackers by noon
    Funny, I'll either eat cereal, yogurt, or nothing for breakfast. I'll try an egg and see if that helps.
  • honeyallen
    Options
    The craving could be overcome by consumption of food items with higher glycemic index i.e. the once whose carbs content is high enough and gets replenished slowly inside the body and hence would produce a satieting effect. Go for peanuts or wheat floor made foods as they have higher carbs and lower on glycemic index.