Is it possible to gain 8lbs in 2 days without eating loads?

Options
I only ask this as I weighed myself last Saturday and over the course of 2 weeks, I lost 8lbs. I weighed myself on Monday and it seems the weight has been put back on. Have my scales been deceiving me or have I just wasted two weeks for nothing?

This is the kind of stuff that happens to try and dampen my spirits so I'm just going to plod on and try to forget about it.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Given the suddenness I suspect scales, are they on a level, hard, firm floor & in same place you normally weigh? Was your weigh in at same time of day, same clothes etc?
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yup its possible by eating CARB foods only I gain 8 to 10 pounds on the wekends by weds i am back to norm
  • Madsocks
    Madsocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Given the suddenness I suspect scales, are they on a level, hard, firm floor & in same place you normally weigh? Was your weigh in at same time of day, same clothes etc?

It's one of those electric scales that also measures bone, body fat etc. I'm thinking of just getting a regular pair of scales, you can't seem to go wrong with them.

It's always in the same place, same time, not clothed and after a shower/toilet visit etc. It's very confusing to me.
  • Madsocks
    Options
    Yup its possible by eating CARB foods only I gain 8 to 10 pounds on the wekends by weds i am back to norm

Thanks for that. I'll have to have a re-think as to what I am eating for my tea and make sure I'm eating early enough so it doesn't settle on my stomach. :-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My guess is some of what looked like the original loss was water weight and the same with the gain. What has your sodium/ potassium intake looked like? Electrolyte imbalance could be the culprit.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I "gained" 8 lbs over the Thanksgiving weekend and I really didn't eat loads - about 300 calories over my 250 calorie deficit goal for a couple of days, so if nothing else I was at maintenance. Lots of carbs and lots of salt with do that to you.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My wieght can fluctuate about 6 lbs depending on hydration, so I'm guess that's what's going on with you. Also, BMs? You can't gain 8 lbs of tissue without eating about 3,500 calories per pound gained. So unless you were eating a surplus of thousands of calories a day, you could not gain 8 lbs in two days. It is not possible.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Thanks for that. I'll have to have a re-think as to what I am eating for my tea and make sure I'm eating early enough so it doesn't settle on my stomach. :-)

Did you eat a lot of sodium recently? Didn't drink enough water? A lot of things can cause a change on the scale. Also, you don't need to eat early as your body will constantly digest the foods you eat no matter the time of day.
  • Madsocks
    Options
    Water is not a problem, I drink at least 3-4 bottles of it a day. Not to sure with regards to sodium, I think my problem at the moment is trying to cut down on my sugar intake with the fizzy pop etc. That's what is hurting me at the moment and I cant seem to shake it off. :-(
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you only weigh yourself weekly or every other week you may have just happened to hit a high end and a low end of your natural range due to the factors the others mentioned. Try weighing yourself again in a day or two to see which figure it's closer to.