Diary of a Superfood: Chia Seed

Options
I get daily emails from Skinny B!t(h and thoght this one was worth sharing. I honestly never once thought to eat these things. But I'll try anything once......
(BTW, they swear a little, lol):laugh:

How Chia Seed Got Its Hype

It’s all the new rage in the health industry, but this all-natural superfood is actually an ancient food of the Aztecs. And, it’s also the stuff growing right in your Grandma’s uncomfortable collection of Chia pets. A versatile little seed? We think so.

The seed of the Mexican native Salvia Hispanica plant, chia was known by the Aztecs as the ‘running food’ for its high-endurance qualities. Warriors would take as little as a teaspoon to sustain themselves like the Energizer Bunny over a 24-hour period. As for other bragging rights, chia seed is the richest whole food source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber in nature, with six times more calcium than whole milk, three times more iron than spinach, and 15 times more magnesium than broccoli.

Chia seed has a nutlike flavor and can be used in a number of ways. The most important thing to know is Chia needs to be prepared with pure water before using it in recipes. For most recipes, the ratio is 9:1 (nine parts water, one part seed). One pound of seeds will make 10 pounds of Chia gel. (See “Daily Credo” below for instructions.) Similar to flax seed, you can add chia seeds to flour when baking, or try sprinkling it on bran cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, soup, dips or in a salad. Unlike flax seed, the beauty of chia is that it is easy for your body to digest, so no need to grind them up. In Mexico, they mix it in water with lime or lemon juice, add a little natural sweetener and cheers to a drink called a “Chia Fresca.” Olé!

*****worthy Benefits of Chia Seed

Hydrates. Chia can hold 12 times its weight in water to offer you prolonged hydration. Given the fact that fluids and electrolytes create an environment in our bodies that supports the life of all cells, this is a good thing.

Slims. Chia helps to control weight gain, by bulking up and cleansing your body of **** in your intestines. When the chia seed gets wet (i.e. placed in water) it turns into a gel. When in our digestive systems, this gel helps prevent the absorption of some of the calories in food. This blockage of calorie absorption makes chia a skinny *****’s BFF. Last, but certainly not least, because chia seeds absorb a great deal of water, they release natural, unrefined carbohydrates slowly into the bloodstream to make you fuller.

Protects. Chia is highly concentrated in omega-3 oils, which are essential to heart health. Omega-3s are said to help lower triglycerides, increase HDL “good” cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and act as an anticoagulant to prevent blood clotting. In addition to protecting your heart, omega oils are known for improving memory, recall, reasoning, and focus.

Heals. Chia is pretty much a mega-multivitamin in seed form. Because of the way that it breaks down in your body, it is extremely efficient in delivering all that it has to offer in the most productive way. In gel form, chia is great for healing wounds, treating the common cold, sore throats, upset stomachs, body odors, prostate problems and constipation.

Where To Buy. You can get chia in seed or powder form at specialty health retailers like Whole Foods. Call your local grocer to see if they carry it.

*****worthy: Try Navitas Naturals Sprouted Chia Seed Powder. 8-ounce bag, $11.99. www.navitasnaturals.com

-- Sarah

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    quick! everyone run to the nearest discount cr@p store and buy all their overstock of chia pets!!!!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

no, all kidding aside...I think i'll look into this stuff and see if my natural foods store downtown has any....
    thanks!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like Chia ... but don't overdo it or you will need beano!
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Just had some in my smoothie this morning!:drinker: They don't blend in smoothly...tiny gel balls ...but it makes me feel like I'm eating something too!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    BUMPPP
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting little article.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • allyson2212
    Options
    Hm, interesting!! With all of its uses, it really kind of reminds me of discovering vinegar!
  • Pieater
    Pieater Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been drinking 2 tablespoons of ground chia seed (Lifemax Mila) in juice nearly every day since September. Starting the first day, I had significantly reduced blood sugar issues. I almost never have problems with low blood sugar anymore.
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump