I think I might have to gain back some of my weight..

Options
So initially I weighed about 148 lbs at 5.4 when I started back in January of this year . I thought my ideal weight was like around 120 or so. I got down to 118 at one point. I fluctuate now between 120 and 121. But looking at my pix I feel I look too skinny now. PLUS others are constantly telling me I look too skinny. And frankly I'm tired of it. SO now I am confused and considering gaining some of my lost weight back. Maybe get to up to 125, maybe even 130. I know I don't want to be "fat." But I also don't want to be called skinny. I think my main problem is my arms and legs are naturally skinny so I just look skinny altogether. I need some advice. How do I gain weight back, mainly trying to get weight on arms and legs. And avoid tummy fat. I do strength training but not sure I do enough. Should I up my calories again? What else can I do?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Can you up your strength training? You can look lean but well if you can increase your weights?
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I agree, start lifting heavy and you will start looking strong, instead of 'skinny' :)
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There is only so much I can lift,.. so I haven't been pushing that hard. I think I do bicep curls using 30 lbs, I leg press 100 lbs, calf press 90, those sorta numbers..
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You should work at the limit of your strength to grow stronger. Find a weight you can only work with for 5-8 reps before you hit failure, keep increasing accordingly as you grow stronger.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic. Don't let others skew your image of yourself. IF you truly do want to gain, I would increase strength training. Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic. Don't let others skew your image of yourself. IF you truly do want to gain, I would increase strength training. Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:

I have got to agree with this. You really do look fantastic. Not too thin. Plus, your legs look very toned.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    There is only so much I can lift,.. so I haven't been pushing that hard. I think I do bicep curls using 30 lbs, I leg press 100 lbs, calf press 90, those sorta numbers..

keep lifting. get into some compound moves like deadlifts and squats, that will naturally increase your weight but give you a 'healthier' look.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this.

add a couple of hundred cals a day and up your strength.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    You look wonderful! Don't listen to those people. They are probably jealous. As long as you are eating healthy, with an adequate amount of calories, just be happy with your success!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I have got to agree with this. You really do look fantastic. Not too thin. Plus, your legs look very toned.

This and this. From looking at your picture you look absolutely fine. People get used to seeing you a bit bigger and when you lose it they think you look skinny. Don't change to suit other people they will get used to it and stop commenting eventually and if they don't just ignore them.

My brother kept saying to me to not lose anymore as I would be too skinny lol, he had just got used to me being a bit bigger and it was a bit of a shock as he didn't see me all the time but he has got used to it now and doesn't say anything.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i agree i think you look fantastic!! some people are never happy!!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'5:" and the lowest I've been was 135 and I feel it was too low for me personally and I strength trained regularly at that time. I think you look good but I prefer to be at the higher end of the healthy BMI. It's just where I feel comfortable. You look good, but it would not be the look I prefer. I would want to be more around 135 if I were 5'4." That's just based on my preferences and my past experience. I like a curvy yet athletic look.
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    I feel that, a lot of time, when people say you look to skinny it's because they either aren't used to your new size or are uncomfortable with themselves. (And I'm the same height as you, I'd love to look like that!)
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think you look great the way you are :) sod anyone else they are probably just jealous. Your my height and at the goal I want to be and if i can look half as good as you when i get there i'd ignore everyone else and be very happy :smile:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and started out at 148lbs and am aiming to get down to around 129/130lbs. I find if I go below that my face starts to look gaunt, plus I have big boobs so I just look silly, lol!!! Well done for your loss though x
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    maybe they are telling you that you are skinny because they are jealous of you. Just saying. I'd love to weigh what you do. I still have 27 to go. Strength train and build some muscle will help....
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you look fabulous! I think society in general is skewed on what is a normal healthy weight as we are all getting 'bigger' or thoses people are st downright jealous! To put it in perspective, my husband saw your pic as I was reading your post and his comment was 'wow!' then followed up with 'there is no way she is too skinny she looks great'.

you are the around the same age as me and I only hope that when I finish my journey my results as half as good as yours. :)
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Throw away the scale (not really though) and listen to your body.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You're the only one who can truly judge how you look right now. And the only one who has seen you naked in the mirror. I know a person can look great with clothes but too skinny without them. If you truly feel you're too skinny (considering it's only YOUR opinion) then gaining muscle can be a great way to shape your body. If you're truly worried about the amount of fat in your body you can always get an appointment at a nutrition center where they measure your body fat percentage in more reliable ways than a home scale would.

Still, the opinion of those who love you does matter, but be careful with what they mean. My husband is telling me all the time how tiny or skinny I look, but we both know how I still have a considerable amount of fat that I could lose. But compared to how I was (and he has never seen me at my current weight before) I do look skinny. But I'm not "eating-disorder-...ly(?)" skinny, I look average and very normal and healthy.

If your relatives or whoever is around you means that you're dangerously skinny then discard what you think and go to a doctor and get yourself checked.
    If they're just jealous then let them be. You worked hard enough to mind about their jealousy.

Personally, I don't think you look TOO skinny at all, but it's hard to tell by a small profile pic.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Too skinny? No. Any substantial amount more you could lose? Also no. If you're happy with your body where it is at the moment, then keep it as it is. I didn't notice but if you're in the US, remember a lot of people have a warped perspective of what a healthy weight looks like.