Breakfast calories question

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
How many calories do you normally eat for breakfast?

Is it better to eat allotted calories evenly throughout the day? I find that I usually have the lowest calories intake in the morning. And I think I am finding that I'm not eating enough for breakfast. I usually go to the gym afterwards, and by the time I'm done exercising, I am wiped out and starving! My food diary is public in case anyone has some POLITE advice they'd like to share. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    How calories are dispersed throughout the day is really a matter of subjectivity. On one end of the spectrum you have people who eat 5-7 evenly spaced, calorically-equivalent meals throughout the day. On the other end of the spectrum you have people who fast at all times of the day except for post-workout. Then there's everything in between.

My take:

It doesn't really matter. Do what feels comfortable and controls hunger/energy for you.

I'll note though... pre-workout nutrition, depending on what you're doing in the gym, is pretty important.
  • DennisHarrison
    Options
    If you're working out after eating breakfast, you need to eat 1/2 to 1 hr before, and breakfast should be your highest single calorie intake of the day. You also need to eat within a 1/2 hr after getting up on any day. Also, have a glass of chocolate or reduced fat milk after, along with a protein bar or something similar to help with feeling wiped out after. If your workin hard, it is really hard to over eat.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    toots, i've been doing the same as you and the more I work out the more ravenous I become as the day goes on. I'm not so sure what i'm doing right or wrong anymore, but I have never been as hungry as I am lately!! It makes me feel like i'm doing something thats not right...but I feel like I eat pretty good on my workout days. I usually have something 130 calories or so, work out, then have my normal daily breakfast. HMMMM...now i'll wait and wonder especially since someone else is having the same issue I am.
  • toots99
    Options
    How calories are dispersed throughout the day is really a matter of subjectivity. On one end of the spectrum you have people who eat 5-7 evenly spaced, calorically-equivalent meals throughout the day. On the other end of the spectrum you have people who fast at all times of the day except for post-workout. Then there's everything in between.

My take:

It doesn't really matter. Do what feels comfortable and controls hunger/energy for you.

I'll note though... pre-workout nutrition, depending on what you're doing in the gym, is pretty important.

What would you suggest for pre-workout nutrition? I do mostly cardio, some weights but I've been having some arthritis issues lately so I've not been doing weights as much. I usually eat a whole egg, an egg white, and some veggies like spinach and tomatoes and onions all scrambled up.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    seems like you alternate between cereal and omelets...those are both good choices.. maybe add a yogurt or a piece of fruit to it, and a piece of toast on omelet days, the carbs will keep you full longer.
    and bring a granola bar and an apple to the gym so you can eat it as soon as you're done, if you are ravenous, that way you won't be tempted to eat the first thing you see, which probably will be a lot worse for you!
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I find I eat less for the rest of the day if I have a really good breakfast. I don't mean huge in calories, say 350-400 compared to my normal 200-250 calories.
    On those days I would have 2 eggs scrambled, 2 rashers of turkey bacon, mushrooms and either toast or beans. But even my normal porridge comes out at over 300 cals and that also keeps me full for a long time :)

Then I would have something light for lunch, soup or sushi for example

I like to have a decent dinner with my hubby, just my preference, so cut back on lunch if I have had a big breakfast.

If I have a smaller breakfast of toast or special k etc I am usually starving by about 10.30am and want to eat a big lunch, so it all works out about equal
  • toots99
    Options
    If you're working out after eating breakfast, you need to eat 1/2 to 1 hr before, and breakfast should be your highest single calorie intake of the day. You also need to eat within a 1/2 hr after getting up on any day. Also, have a glass of chocolate or reduced fat milk after, along with a protein bar or something similar to help with feeling wiped out after. If your workin hard, it is really hard to over eat.

Usually lunch and dinner are equally my highest calorie meals. I am wondering if I make the highest calorie meal breakfast, maybe that'll curb/enhance my eating habits throughout the rest of the day.
  • toots99
    Options
    I find I eat less for the rest of the day if I have a really good breakfast. I don't mean huge in calories, say 350-400 compared to my normal 200-250 calories.
    On those days I would have 2 eggs scrambled, 2 rashers of turkey bacon, mushrooms and either toast or beans. But even my normal porridge comes out at over 300 cals and that also keeps me full for a long time :)

Eaxtly what I was wondering...
  • rgordon60
    rgordon60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I always eat breakfast before I go to the gym for a morning (9:30) workout of either an hour of spinning or weight lifting. It consists of organic oatmeal, rice milk, agave, and cinnamon along with coffee. After I return from the gym I usually have a piece of fruit. If I go to the gym later in the morning around 11:30 I still eat my same breakfast, but eat a light lunch after I return from the gym. It is very important to eat both before and after you go to the gym per my instructors.

At first it was difficult to cut the calories, but now after a year of consistent and vigorous exercise I eat small meals that include fruits and vegetables for lunch and dinner. To date I have lost 21 lbs with 9 lbs more to go to reach my first major long term goal.

Good luck!:smile:
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    I have heard that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, but I often have trouble doing that. They say eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
  • toots99
    Options
    I have heard that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, but I often have trouble doing that. They say eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.

I've heard that too, but in my mind I think if I don't have dinner like a king, I'll sort of panic a bit. :laugh: But I should try it. Can't hurt!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different so I say just play with it & see where you feel most comfortable. I used to try to do evenly-spread out meals but was always hungry so I do biggest meal at breakfast, medium size lunch, smaller dinner with moderate size snacks. I work out at night before dinner so I have to make sure I'm not going to be hungry before then and still have energy to get through my work out and then am not starving after I work out - I would eat everything if I did that. So I usually do:

breakfast about 8:30
    snack 10:30
    lunch 12:30
    snack 3
    snack 5
    workout 7-8ish
    dinner 8:30

And then I'm done eating. no more snacking after dinner since it's so late (but that's debatable - I just choose not to so I can get into bed 2 hours later).

Take a peek at my diary to see how big my meals are and what I'm eating. I currently don't have any problems with lack of energy or being hungry (except when it's coming up on eating time).

That's what my trainer told me! :) Breakfast is usually cereal and fruit or yogurt and a piece of toast with cream cheese or peanut butter. Eggs usually keep me full better but I don't always have the time for that in the morning. Lunch is usually a wrap or sandwich and dinner is usually chicken breast and a veggie or in an enchilada.
  • livingnlove
    Options
    I start the day with protein and veggies. lots of veggies lightly sauteed with two eggs scrambled in to it. This really helps me get going through the day. I've tried other stuff for breakfast and this is the only thing I've found that will maintain my blood sugar without the crash later in the day.
  • toots99
    Options
    I added some calories to my breakfast today, and while at the gym I took a break for a minute and snacked on some high fiber mini wheats that I'd brought with me. Worked out well! :drinker: