lifting program ?

Options
I have been lifting for a year and a half. I want to lose the fat I gained in my last bulk but hate cardio with a passion. I am searching for a lifting program that I can do 5 times a week. I looked at Jamie's 12 weeks program but I am really not sure that is what I want to do unless I reduce the number of reps from 12 to 8.

Do you know any good program that is not overly complicated, challenging, and that work one or 2 body part a day?

I did SL 5x5 and NROL4W already

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What about just upper/ lower splits?

Something like:

Legs:
    Squats/deads
    lunges/step -ups
    calves
    Maybe some isolation

Arms:
    Bench
    Rows
    Shoulders
    Biceps
    Triceps
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    What about just upper/ lower splits?

Something like:

Legs:
    Squats/deads
    lunges/step -ups
    calves
    Maybe some isolation

Arms:
    Bench
    Rows
    Shoulders
    Biceps
    Triceps

I already do a split routine but I am getting bored lol. I do pecs, back, shoulders, biceps one day and legs, triceps the other
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    5 times a week is overkill for most people, and Jamie's program sucks.

If you want to do more than 5x per week, I would recommend a 4x per week upper/lower split. Google "lyle's generic bulking routine," for a general idea, and customize it to your tastes.

Also, it's sometimes difficult for women to create a large enough deficit through lifting alone. Keep cardio in your back pocket as a "trump card" if you get close to your goal and then plateau.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Well, I am just getting ready to switch to Wendler's after soing SL and NROLFW for 14 months total. I was researching it and it seems highly recommended during the cut phase, especially.

I can send you the spreadsheet I made for it if you like so that you can take a look at it. I'm doing a version called "Big but Boring" (exciting, isn't it?) :smile:
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    German volume training and Gironda 8x8 are pretty good to lean you out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Look into Wendler 5/3/1.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider going off weights for a bit TRX has a good program with body weight resistance, works for guys or gals and it is challenging.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Chaos and Pain intermediate deadlift or squat program.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider going off weights for a bit TRX has a good program with body weight resistance, works for guys or gals and it is challenging.

She just spend several weeks trying to gain muscle. She wouldn't want to risk loosing it but stopping lifting.
  • fishandricecakes
    Options

If you want to do more than 5x per week, I would recommend a 4x per week upper/lower split. Google "lyle's generic bulking routine," for a general idea, and customize it to your tastes.

Also, it's sometimes difficult for women to create a large enough deficit through lifting alone. Keep cardio in your back pocket as a "trump card" if you get close to your goal and then plateau.

This.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strstd.com
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I wouldn't touch either of those in a calorie deficit.

You want to retain as much strength and therefor muscle during a cut, gvt leaves most people weaker than when they started.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

This.

Listen to them. :)
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    so this is what i have been doing for the last 6 weeks. took out the majority of cardio. not all but quite a bit. lifing as followed
    mondays back
    tues
    chest
    wed plyo leg day lots of jumping crap lunges body weight squats
    thurs delts
    friday bis and tris
    sat cardio only 1 hr max h r 130
    sunday heavy leg day
    now reps are friggan crazy 6 to 7 exercises per muscle group 3 to 4 sets no rest just enough to drink water and breath. this is a cardio workout. you have seen my progress in the last 6 weeks. every day a different pic has been shown. protein intake was crazy as well and recovery very important. now starting to lower protein a little and add back in cardio for 6 more weeks. that puts me at about 10 weeks out before competition... then it gets really mean. lifting heavy once again no more than 8 reps major cardio and total diet overhaul once again.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options

I wouldn't touch either of those in a calorie deficit.

You want to retain as much strength and therefor muscle during a cut, gvt leaves most people weaker than when they started.

Not necessarily true. I did a cycle of GVT and it pushed me through my bench plateau. I was also in a ~300 calorie deficit at the time and my DEXA results were a 1.7kg gain in muscle, strength increased and lost 3.4kg fat (total 4.9% body fat loss). Everyone responds differently to different diets/training regimes though.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    good info for future reference!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you've done SL 5x5 and New Rules, stick with them. Results continue to come if you're pushing yourself.

If your goal is fat loss, focus on your diet.
    If your goal is to get stronger and be fit, eat for recovery and keep lifting heavy.