Salad

Options
Fancy_Nancy2
Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
Okay I really like salad but I need a way to mix it up a bit. I usely do 3 different lettuce croutons, parmesan chess, and lemon pepper chicken. And of course dressing but most dressing are high in calories or sodium. So if anyone has some ideals for me I would love them.

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fruit to the salad. Like some oranges or grapes. Give you a nice crunch, sweetness, and some needed fruit. :-) Or maybe even some nuts, almonds, walnuts, etc.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I spice my chicken with chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, and a little cumin. Then I use a light southwest ranch dressing with fat free cheddar cheese, half a serving of corn, half a serving of black beans, and a serving of cold brown rice. Maybe it sounds gross...it sure tastes good mixed all together though!
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    craisins, raisins, carrots, diced canned pears, avocado, lean beef strips, tuna, hard boiled egg, mandarins and apple pieces
  • Janicca
    Janicca Posts: 8
    Options
    My favorite salad right now is: spring mix, spinach, edamame, tomato, and broccoli cole slaw mix (no sauce just broc shreds with carrots and cabbage). Sometimes I'll throw in a mandarin orange or if I am really hungry I'll add grilled chicken pieces. For dressing I alternate between Newman's lighten up sesame ginger or the salad spritzers. Yummy!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I second the fruit, apples are good too. I also second the nuts. Walnuts are great as well. I also load up the veggies, carrots, onions, cucumber, various colors of peppers, etc. I basically go through the rainbow and try to hit all the colors. It gives the salad a beautiful color and there is an excitment to a different taste in every bite. I don't usually put meat in my salad so I sometimes will put a little cheese-but be careful for the fat and extra calories and do go overboard. My husband has even become a lover of salad!
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like to put mushrooms =:)
    Maybe you can add mandarins and little noodle things to make an asian type salad.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to say that I also use the herb mix, so it has different types of lettuce as well as fresh herbs.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    My Favorite Salad (And very very satisfying)

Spinich or Dark Greens
    1 Morning Star BBQ Riblet (cut-up into bite size pieces)
    1/3 Cup Ocean Spary Crasins

Dressing:
    Either a Vinagirette or Italian

DELICIOUS, Simple, and FILLING :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    have you tried Broccoli slaw? gives a nice cruch. as far as salad dressings I take the hit! I use olive oil and lemon... it's so worth it for me, can't stand when you ruin your salad with fake fat free metal tasting dressings. Low fat is ok... nuts or soybeans in a salad is great too and Tuna fish
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My salads vary between tuna and meat depends on my mood but the rest is usually the same :wink:

Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sugar & salt free sweetcorn, beetroot, hard boiled eggs, low cal coleslaw, potato salad (homemade with a small drop of extra lite mayo or cooked pasta cold, grated carrot, sugar snap peas, spring onion, cucumber, peppers

Looking at that list lol seems like a lot but it usually stays in the fridge and lasts about 3 days :bigsmile:
  • mebras3775
    Options
    I just bought these wishbone salad spritzers and it only takes 10 spray and each spray is 10 calories and the good thing is you only need 10 sprays and it really dresses your salad well with plenty of dressing.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like a basic garden salad dressed up with pepitas(shelled pumpkin seeds) and olives. Kraft has a great low cal greek dressing