Obesity: Genetics or Environment?

Options
1235»

Replies

• katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is only be a small percentage of people who can say it's genetics and environment which have made them obese through disorders like compulsive eating / food addiction. Everyone else can choose to make better choices about food and activity level.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I believe it is environment over genetics. I do believe genetics play a part in being more sensitive to high fat/high calorie and processed carbs, but I don't think it is a definitive answer for the obesity problem.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is only be a small percentage of people who can say it's genetics and environment which have made them obese through disorders like compulsive eating / food addiction. Everyone else can choose to make better choices about food and activity level.

I have to agree with this. I believe there is a very small percentage of the population that have genetics to blame. And that swings the other way too... everyone probably knows a tall bean pole who packs away food like crazy, doesn't exercise and doesn't gain. So I think for some genetics predisposes them to a particular weight and they have to work harder to stay at a "normal" weight. So I would say that both play a role, environment effects us all and genetics may be a bigger issue for a small portion of the population.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread..
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Obesity is 100% caused by one specific part of our environment: food.

Wow. That is all.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Genetic mutation occurred in roughly 60% of the population at the exact same time as the advent of the remote control and Hungry man TV dinner. Theories are currently being tested that postulate the causal relation ship between Hungry Man and the appearance of the X-men.
  • FairyMomma408
    Options
    Well Environment has my vote, I think...it's hard to say. My brother and sister, twins, are both technically almost underweight, I am over weight. Granted I've had a child but my personality is different, I have soooooo much more emotional problems than them. My eating habits are different but they both eat horribly, junk food here and there. My brother is super hyper though and can't stand still for a minute, he LIKES to exercise. My sister is very type A and will sometimes delay eating becasue she likes to control herself. I like food way too much and equate it with my father's praise. But we were all raised by the same parents, mostly the same way. Not sure if it's more personality disposition or what.

Now I've got too many thoughts, this is an interesting question.
  • scruggsdl
    scruggsdl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

Remember, the government tells you to eat 300g of carbs a day! You know, like something that equates like almost two cups of sugar in your bloodstream... don't forget your whole wheat toast, which breaks down into more sugar than a Snickers bar!

No no, it''s the weak minded obese people that can't overcome, because they so WANT to live that lifestyle!